Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. After some advice. Have picked up a very low mileage M900ie that is in immaculate condition......except it has a holed case and damaged LH cover!! So I am trying to confirm the:
1. the part numbers for a crankcase. Have done a search and believe the part numbers are:
- Crankcase: 225.2.041.1B
- Cover 242.2.045.1A
2. the number on the top of the damaged case is:
-226.3.008.4c
Now is this actually the part number - looks awfully like a part number!!) Hence is this what i should be on the look out for?
3. A fella is selling a LH crank case only. The part is stamped -226.3.008.8C so is very very similar to the number on my damaged case. Unfortunately it appears he isnt selling the RH side as a pair. In the event I cant find a matched pair, what is the advice on perhaps using this LH side to repair the crankcase?

TIA

·
Registered
319 Posts
Check the actual engine serial number on the case.
If you have a 900 and its a 900 you're off to a good start.
Not sure if carby models have the exact same case.
What did the case for sale come out of?

·
Registered
155 Posts
TBH I'd only use paired cases, even back in the day when i was restoring old Vespas from the 50s/60s and 70s it was "known" to only use paired cases. And that on motors with only 5hp. I'd keep searching but i am sure there are people on this forum that will know better than me, most do! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'd keep searching but i am sure there are people on this forum that will know better than me, most do! :rolleyes:
That's what I am thinking..... It threw a chain and took off two teeth on the front sprocket in the process......the countershaft has a resistance point (like what you would feel if it was slightly bent!!) when you turn it so I suspect the forces to remove two sprocket teeth probably resulted in further damage I cant yet see!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check the actual engine serial number on the case.
If you have a 900 and its a 900 you're off to a good start.
The LH case is from a '99....so I am asuming a carbed M900.
How will the engine serial numbers help? Is there a site I can check stuff like that?

·
Registered
319 Posts
How will the engine serial numbers help?
It has the engine size in it.
800cc and smaller will NOT bolt up to your barrels.
Out of curiosity how did you throw the chain and break sprocket teeth?
You didn't jump your bike did you?

·
Registered
319 Posts
I noticed you were talking to belter about an airbox on the other forum.
Did you ask him if he has or knows of a pair of cases?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You didn't jump your bike did you?
Nah...wasnt me. Previous owner. Unsure exactly what happened. Was only going slow - allegedly. If I was to guess I am wondering if it might have been a cheap ebay chain.....maybe....dunno.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
May as well ask. I wasnt to sure which forum was the better one for advice and stuff...so didnt want to 'troll' both sites with the same stuff. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
12 Posts
There were a number of internal changes on the earlier m900, so I would imagine there is likely to be differences in the crank cases between the different years.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts