Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got me an 00 M900 delivered to me today! Its stock save for the PC2 installed (first owner im guessing sold the pipes that were on it)

I want to do a set of high pipes, and it makes sense to me to open the air box at the same time. Is the open air box deal worth it from a power stand point? Or, does it just make the bike sound meaner?

Can i tune the PC2 myself? I have an old windows based pc i could get up and running in the garage. Any reason i couldn't get maps off the net, and upload them myself? Is there a way to create my own maps? I didn't recieve any manuals about the PC2.

Question on stock ecu fuel maps: I understand that the oem ecu uses throttle position and rpm to determine fuel trim. How does it correct for temperature? Or doesn't it? I did notice a "fast idle" lever on the left grip (basically a choke for my fuel injected motor)

Well, anyway, it was delivered to me in Pa from Wi today at 2:30. Its snowy here, but the streets were clear. I had to test ride :) I don't even have the title for it yet, but i had to take it for a rip in my neighborhood. All i can say is wow. The thing about rips my arms off. Or at least yanks pretty hard as i short shifted at about 4K. Can't wait to do pipes, mirrors, clutch cover. . . .

Kevin

·
Registered
8,800 Posts
Your '00 M900 has an air temperature sensor that the ECU uses for mixture correction. It has an oil temperature sensor, and AFAIK, it uses that for mixture correction too.

Here's a link to the PowerCommander app for an M900, but it's a PC III.

http://www.powercommander.com/703-211.shtml

They should be able to help you with the PC II.

If it's like my PC III, you can mod your own maps, install downloaded maps, or whatever. The PC III map is only a function of RPM and Throttle Position. Not sure about the PC II.

Pipes don't seem to effect the power or mixture a whole lot on Monsters. Maybe a little more power, and it runs a little leaner.

Opening the airbox does release some power, but seems to demand mixture compensation.

I've got pipes on my S4. The biggest gains from my PC III came from a dyno-tune, and the improved 'rideability' was noticeable.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Your '00 M900 has an air temperature sensor that the ECU uses for mixture correction. It has an oil temperature sensor, and AFAIK, it uses that for mixture correction too.
Ok, i knew it had to have something to deal with cold air.

Here's a link to the PowerCommander app for an M900, but it's a PC III.

http://www.powercommander.com/703-211.shtml

They should be able to help you with the PC II.

If it's like my PC III, you can mod your own maps, install downloaded maps, or whatever. The PC III map is only a function of RPM and Throttle Position. Not sure about the PC II.

Pipes don't seem to effect the power or mixture a whole lot on Monsters. Maybe a little more power, and it runs a little leaner.

Opening the airbox does release some power, but seems to demand mixture compensation.

I've got pipes on my S4. The biggest gains from my PC III came from a dyno-tune, and the improved 'rideability' was noticeable.
Thanks for the link.

·
Premium Member
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kevin.....I have an '00 M900 open air box yeah it's worth it. The left side lever is actually a throttle advance.....
Here's some other links that may be of interest for you....enjoy the new ride.....

http://www.sigmaperformance.com/weber.html

http://www.fuelinmoto.com.au/
Thanks for the links, i read them both. Good reads. I did notice that the left side lever opened the throttle plates slightly, but what is that cable operated "thingy" above the throttle blade (looking from the right side)? Actually, they're tied together and are both operated by the action of the left side lever.

Kevin

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
Yeah, I agree. Both those links were good reads. You can always tell when you're reading quality. There are no little secrets just common sense. Thanks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts