Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Rear shock compatibility

16K views 19 replies 11 participants last post by  babyonboard 
G
#1 ·
Are all rear monster shocks compatible? Or are there different sizes?

#2 ·
They're compatible within frame families. One family is the original 851/888 based frame and the other is the ST based frame. The new ST frame is used on the S4, S4R and '02+ 620, 750, 800 and 900.

I can't comment on spring rates though. Since all the 2V bikes weigh close enough to the same, they may all have the same springs. But if Ducati was targeting the smaller bikes at presumably lighter riders, they may have softened the springs on those.

Of course springs are easy enough to swap.

#3 ·
600, 750, and 900 are old school.

620, 800, and 1000 are ST framed.

:) Chris

They're compatible within frame families. One family is the original 851/888 based frame and the other is the ST based frame. The new ST frame is used on the S4, S4R and '02+ 620, 750, 800 and 900.

I can't comment on spring rates though. Since all the 2V bikes weigh close enough to the same, they may all have the same springs. But if Ducati was targeting the smaller bikes at presumably lighter riders, they may have softened the springs on those.

Of course springs are easy enough to swap.

#4 ·
Yeah I goofed putting the later 750s on the ST-framed list, but wasn't there one year of 900s on the new frame?

#7 ·
#8 ·
the frame change was in 2002. the '02 750 and '02 900 use the "new type" of shock with the tie-rod style rear suspension. the 800 and 1000 motors were introduced in '03 so the '02 750 and 900 are the real odd-job bikes.

#9 ·
did some checking on the Ohlins website and it looks like all the newer ducatis with the straight height adj (without the old "wishbone") fit one another. overall length is identical on every one305mm; stroke is very slightly different from the smallest at 63mm to the longest at 71mm. Except for having to move/remove the plastic breather catch can so the resevoir fits, I think every model shock will bolt right up to every other model. ST- SBK- Monster's.

anything I missed?

#10 ·
st's and monsters are the same except for spring rating (st's are rated with heavier springs from what i understand to accomodate more frequent 2-up riding and hardbags). SBK (916 legacy) shocks are about 1/2" shorter than monster shocks. 749/999 shocks are about 1/2" longer and have the piggy-back reservoirs mounted higher on the shock bodies.

note also that the SBK shocks have the piggy-back reservoirs mounted in such an orientation as to REQUIRE the removal of the crank-case breather bottle under your seat.

#11 ·
So, considering I haven't had any emissions junk on my bike since the 3rd day I owned it, the ebay shock should work correct? As it's off a 996, it might be a bit longer than stock, but I can handle that (been meaning to raise my rear ride height anyway!).

This all sound right? Just wanna check before I go through the hassle of the auction (getting parts over to here from teh UK can be a b!tch sometimes) My biggest concern is that the mountings are correct and that frame modifications aren't needed.

#13 ·
#14 ·
DJ do some more checking before you do the ebay thing. The years I check on were from 02 up. I don't think your 94 will swap out with these but can't say for sure. there was no info on bikes older than 01 on the Ohlins site. What it did show was, at least from Ohlins, every new shock is the same length SBK ST monsters all the same. OEM there are slight length differences.

#16 ·
Guys I took a walk out to the shop and looked at my Old ST2 (manuf 97) and my M620 (02).
The Showa on the ST2 is 305mm eye centre to eye centre.
The original Sachs off the M620 is 305mm also .... as is one I bought off a 1000 (an 02 I think) to get an adjustable rod.
I have a showa off a 748 (1999?) on the 620. It is 305mm too and does not foul the crank case breather plastic catch tank!!!!
The ST2 original spring is the same size as the 620 spring .... except the coil wire dia is 0.6mm larger indicating an increased spring rate over the 620.
The springs off the 620 & 1000 measure the same.
I have been told that the 748 unit has a 6mm longer stroke than the 620 .... but I didn't measure it & it does not seem to be a problem (a washer under the bump stop would cure it any way).
The stock 748 spring & shock is very plush on a 620 .... it makes a stock front end feel very harsh.
I put a stock ST2 spring on a 620 Sachs but never had a chance to try it .... I think it would be good for an average weight rider .... the OE spring seems a bit soft.

I hope this is of some use to someone!

#17 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. I'm still not 100% sure about it, but for the price I think I might risk it. I can always resell it. ;) Still waiting to hear back as to whether or not he'll post over to the island though, so we'll see.

#18 ·
all the old 888 base frame monsters use exactly the same shock (apart from the ohlins 900 special), spring and all. they're 330mm long as stated.

running a late shock in your bike will have it much too low at the back. i'm told the ss shocks are also 330mm, but the spring will be way wrong due to the different style of linkage and probably the damping too.

#20 · (Edited)
Hi guys

I checked the above, I found also that the monster s4rs shock is also 305 from ohlins, what I did not find is it's spring rate, and if there will be problem installing it on m695, since somewhere found that it is also difficult to install (don't know though how far they tried to install it)

I bought a forward pair of an St4s to be overhauled and possibly revalved with adreani valve kit, and thinking that the rear has to be change as well. Any ideas on that?

Thanks in advance

If somebody can give some info will be highly appreciated

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.