Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

scotts steering damper

7K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  Bing 
#1 ·
is anyone familiar wiht this? I am interested in getting a dampening system for my cycle but am not sure which way to go. I don't need the top of the line ohlins stuff, but I don't want a piece of junk either. I like this because it doesn't use the rod to connect from the fork like some other dampeners do. This looks a lot cleaner to me. If people say it's good I may jump on it.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35592&item=2453580615

#3 ·
#5 ·
Please note that the item is correctly called a "steering damper," not a "dampener." Having said that, I'll point out that Scotts calls theirs a "steering stabilizer." I installed one on my VFR800 because it was the only bolt-on unit I could find. I've been very pleased with it and would recommend a Scotts to anyone, but when it came time to install a damper on my '97 M900, Scotts didn't make a mount for my bike, so I settled on a Storz damper. WER makes an under-the-triple damper, but I don't know if they make one for any Monster model. Motowheels offers the Ohlins damper and one by Extreme Tech. Both are fairly expensive. Spareshack has one that's less expensive (and less elegant) but appears to be up to the task. They're kind of like life insurance. If all you do is tootle around town at relatively inoffensive speeds, you may never experience the need for a damper, but when you need one, you need it. Every racing organization requires them for good reason.

#6 ·
I have a friend that while riding on the freeway kept turning the damper stiffer trying to get a little shake out of the steering. When his exit came he didn't give it a thought and when he got to the end of the ramp and had to turn the bike wouldn't and he fell over and broke his collar bone all because the steering damper was set too stiff. A bad steering damper is as dangerous as no steering damper and using it improperly and when it isn't needed can be dangerous too. The Scotts damper is a particularly good damper it is one of the few dampers that can have a light feel when steering yet still have enough high speed damping to be effective in an emergency.

#8 ·
I have one on my 00 M750. Easy to adjust. I love it. Bought it on ebay 100.00 and 130.00 for the mounting kit from scotts.

#11 ·
Hanjin: That's an interesting setup. You just put your old bar mounts back on (sans bars) and mounted the damper atop that? Looks pretty cool. Are you happy with the setup?
Dion

#12 ·
It's the only way to go for a monster and the scotts damper. The mounting kit comes with the top part of the clamp to mount the damper and the ignition cover. Unless you get some super bike forks and use the new top tree they have. But this is $$$. I got used to the look and it performs great.

G
#18 ·
Do they make any of those top mounts for the S4 ? I saw a Ohlins bit on the side, but it was sticking out like crazy..almost as if it would snag some pants if I were to walk by.... any pics of a monster S4 with a damper would be greatly apprciated

#21 ·
It looks like my Extreme Tech, but it might be a Matris. I think the manufacturer makes dampers marketed by several companies and the are available as over the clamp and under the clamp models.

--Fillmore

#22 ·
I think it's matis or matris. It's and italian company. I see their adds in a few bike mags every once in a while.

#25 ·
Their Italian. Nuff said.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.