Disconnect exhaust servo - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 4
Disconnect exhaust servo

Hey All,

My 2015 Monster 821 has the dreaded "won't start when hot" problem. I have termis with upmap. I read on another forum that someone who had the same problem. He disconnected his exhaust servo which left the flapper open by default. He stated that this fixed his problem.

I want to at least give this a try, I'm sick of waiting for my bike to cool down to start riding again. The question I have is where the hell is the servo located? How do I get to it? Which is easier, to disconnect the power to the servo or to the cable to flapper?

Thanks in advance.
ChrisPKNY is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-02-2019, 05:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Buhgaboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Greenville,SC
Posts: 250
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPKNY View Post
Hey All,



My 2015 Monster 821 has the dreaded "won't start when hot" problem. I have termis with upmap. I read on another forum that someone who had the same problem. He disconnected his exhaust servo which left the flapper open by default. He stated that this fixed his problem.



I want to at least give this a try, I'm sick of waiting for my bike to cool down to start riding again. The question I have is where the hell is the servo located? How do I get to it? Which is easier, to disconnect the power to the servo or to the cable to flapper?



Thanks in advance.
That'd be me....servo is on the exhaust midpipe...unscrew the guard plate...advance the flap by hand...unhook the cable...tuck it all back in nice and tidy...screw back in guard...that will disconnect the servo which did help immensely but alas I'm still troubled by a hot start if the engine climbs above 186f ...I've since bought a colder range sparkplug ( MAR10a-j ) and intend on installing this week to see if that helps....also going to peak at the valves to see if they're gummed up again





How many miles you got on it? Do you do your own valves? Have you had a chance to look at the backs of the intake valves? What's your plug gapped to initially? How long have they been in since you noticed the problem of hot starting?

Working on a few theories ...one that the heat in the plug is effecting the spark or the gap is too big and the coils just aren't up to the task when it's super hot... I've gone from a few seconds waiting to a few minutes over the course of the last 6k miles...it's a work in progress

Last edited by Buhgaboo; 07-02-2019 at 05:26 PM.
Buhgaboo is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:12 AM Thread Starter
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 4
chrispkny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhgaboo View Post
That'd be me....servo is on the exhaust midpipe...unscrew the guard plate...advance the flap by hand...unhook the cable...tuck it all back in nice and tidy...screw back in guard...that will disconnect the servo which did help immensely but alas I'm still troubled by a hot start if the engine climbs above 186f ...I've since bought a colder range sparkplug ( MAR10a-j ) and intend on installing this week to see if that helps....also going to peak at the valves to see if they're gummed up again



How many miles you got on it? Do you do your own valves? Have you had a chance to look at the backs of the intake valves? What's your plug gapped to initially? How long have they been in since you noticed the problem of hot starting?

Working on a few theories ...one that the heat in the plug is effecting the spark or the gap is too big and the coils just aren't up to the task when it's super hot... I've gone from a few seconds waiting to a few minutes over the course of the last 6k miles...it's a work in progress
That is your post Buhgaboo! I actually commented there too.

I have just over 10,000 miles. I do not do my own valves. From what the dealer told me they actually replaced the intake valves. Not sure of the gap on the spark plugs but they replaced those too so probably factory gap.

I'm bringing my bike back in over the winter. Since it's still under warranty Ducati is making them run through a bunch of tests when I bring it back in. Ducati does want them to check the valves.

My bike won't start until it cools down to about 150 degrees. Super annoying!

This is just a long shot but do you have an MD integrated tail light. When I first installed it on my bike it threw all sorts of errors when the bike got hot and the fan came on. They had an included module that fixed the issue that I initially didn't have installed. Again, long shot. Also, do you think it's a mechanical, upmap, electrical, or combination?

I can't believe Ducati doesn't do anything about this and doesn't have an answer. A look around the internet and it's obviously not an isolated problem. Very disappointed. My next bike may have to be a KTM! Hahaha

Thanks for your posts, they rule!
ChrisPKNY is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 08:39 AM
Senior Member
 
Buhgaboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Greenville,SC
Posts: 250
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPKNY View Post
That is your post Buhgaboo! I actually commented there too.



I have just over 10,000 miles. I do not do my own valves. From what the dealer told me they actually replaced the intake valves. Not sure of the gap on the spark plugs but they replaced those too so probably factory gap.



I'm bringing my bike back in over the winter. Since it's still under warranty Ducati is making them run through a bunch of tests when I bring it back in. Ducati does want them to check the valves.



My bike won't start until it cools down to about 150 degrees. Super annoying!



This is just a long shot but do you have an MD integrated tail light. When I first installed it on my bike it threw all sorts of errors when the bike got hot and the fan came on. They had an included module that fixed the issue that I initially didn't have installed. Again, long shot. Also, do you think it's a mechanical, upmap, electrical, or combination?



I can't believe Ducati doesn't do anything about this and doesn't have an answer. A look around the internet and it's obviously not an isolated problem. Very disappointed. My next bike may have to be a KTM! Hahaha



Thanks for your posts, they rule!
Omg...I'm glad I'm not alone...lol...I've tried many many things...I run the motor stupid hard and am very prone to carbon buildup in the intakes...my initial assumption was that the buildup absorbs the first shot of fuel throwing off the mix...it still may hold true I haven't been in to look since I last blasted them with walnuts...which worked amazing...but not something I want to do every 3k miles...it's getting wheeled into my apartment this week for some work and plan to take a looksy at everything...please let me know what the dealer comes up with...if they changed out the intakes I might assume that was from the carbon...I have swapped brand new oem heads and valves at 26k miles and that just reset the problem for me...swapped oil ...octane...engine map... habits...still haven't narrowed it down...all this was occurring in the stock configuration...termis weren't added to later and I haven't done anything with the taillights but I know how frustrating it is checking faults when problems start overlapping...
Buhgaboo is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-03-2019, 06:13 PM
Senior Member
 
Buhgaboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Greenville,SC
Posts: 250
Garage
Welp....loads to think on now...valves are still clean....that's great news which also means it's not part of the problem...the plug on the other hand does appear to be slightly carbon fouled...



Last edited by Buhgaboo; 07-03-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Buhgaboo is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 11:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 229
Your spark plug shows a rich fuel mixture.
Test or change the water temperature sensor located on the horizontal cylinder head. this sensor has a large effect on the fuel mixture
There are two other sensors that have a somewhat smaller effect - Air temp. and Air pressure. these can also be tested.
Buhgaboo likes this.
Mister Ducati is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-05-2019, 11:43 AM
Senior Member
 
Buhgaboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Greenville,SC
Posts: 250
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ducati View Post
Your spark plug shows a rich fuel mixture.

Test or change the water temperature sensor located on the horizontal cylinder head. this sensor has a large effect on the fuel mixture

There are two other sensors that have a somewhat smaller effect - Air temp. and Air pressure. these can also be tested.
I have swapped nearly every sensor associated with the engine at one point or another to no effect...temp sensors always read accurate on the dash...the richness I'm inclined to think is more altitude related? Always in the mountains upto 5k ft constantly under high loads...I was about to install a colder plug but after looking at the one in the pic I looked into a hotter one... ultimately settling on an mar9a-j platinum...which is the exact plug I use now minus the Platinum of course...I read they run hotter so it's a win win scenario.

Come to think about it...how would I know the water temp on the dash is correct or not....will swap that sensor this weekend...it has always registered on the cooler side...got it up to 179F but that was triple digits speeds...generally runs around 165....185 if I'm doing the speed limit...220 in traffic

Last edited by Buhgaboo; 07-05-2019 at 11:55 AM.
Buhgaboo is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 07:57 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 229
If you are running it at high altitudes - you should check and clean the pressure sensor located in air box cover. this sensor controls the fuel mixture at high altitudes
Mister Ducati is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 08:35 AM
Senior Member
 
Buhgaboo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Greenville,SC
Posts: 250
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Ducati View Post
If you are running it at high altitudes - you should check and clean the pressure sensor located in air box cover. this sensor controls the fuel mixture at high altitudes
I've swapped entire airbox assemblies ( I have two complete motors) ..nothing improved...nothing got worse...
Buhgaboo is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-06-2019, 09:06 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Canada
Posts: 229
The options are getting slim.
Although rare - their have been problems with the rubber intake manifolds cracking and resulting in a vacuum leak. This would result in the ECU trying to overcompensate with extra fuel.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cracked intake manifold.JPG
Views:	14
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	220178  
Mister Ducati is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome