Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

S2R - Clutch not fully disengaging engine

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  BaileyParkinson 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 S2R 800 and the clutch lever doesn't seem to completely disengage the engine when trying to roll the bike around in 1st gear. Finding neutral is easy enough, and it shifts nicely, although it goes into 1st gear with a smidgen of a clunk.

I cleaned up the clutch slave, flushed the fluid and changed the oil, but it's mostly the same.

The bigger issue is that when I start it in gear, the bike will move forward a bit. I can hold it back with my legs, and once I run it a bit, the issue lessens. But I wonder how I would know if the slave cylinder is moving enough? Or is it something else?

Any thoughts? Thanks.

#4 ·
it was suggested it was my pazzo after market levers. i have the extact same issue on my s2r800
also take a look at the lines. on mine its zipped to the frame about halfway down. sure looks like a perfect place for some air to collect.
might just be me obsessing. but i just did my clutch line and still feels squishy.

#7 ·
I have factory levers. I did adjust the lever screw in about 1/4 turn, but I'm afraid to use the screw as the solution. It seems quite far in as it is, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of play at the lever.

Having said that, I took the bike on a hard extended run today. Lots of shifting, and I got everything nice and hot. The issue of the clutch not disengaging the engine seems to go away completely when everything is nice and hot. Not sure what that indicates. Maybe just normal?

I'll let it sit overnight and see how it is when cold.

FWIW the bike has sat most of the past year... maybe 1500 kms total, and most of that, many months ago. Can a wet clutch get sticky from sitting?

Thanks for the input.

#8 ·
I have factory levers. I did adjust the lever screw in about 1/4 turn, but I'm afraid to use the screw as the solution. It seems quite far in as it is, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of play at the lever.
Are you talking about the plunger screw that pushes into the master cylinder when you squeeze the lever?

FWIW the bike has sat most of the past year... maybe 1500 kms total, and most of that, many months ago. Can a wet clutch get sticky from sitting?

Thanks for the input.
I'm not sure. Have you changed the oil since you started riding it again?

#9 ·
I had the same problem last year. I bled the clutch lines multiple times to clear any possible air in the line. This worked fairly well but not fully. I ended up rebuilding the clutch master cylinder which seemed to fix it. I am pretty sure I picked the rebuild kit up from Gotham Cycles.

#11 ·
Man, I've had this problem on my 2007 S2R 1000 plenty of times, here's what you can do:

Have you washed the bike recently? If so, the friction plates will stick to the steel discs if they were allowed to dry without riding it after the wash (rust). To resolve this, start the bike in neutral, let it warm up, and pump the clutch handle repeatedly; it will work eventually.

Have you replaced your friction discs recently? I did several months back with a kit from an online shop and the stack was too high (it does not take much); I ended up removing one friction disc and replacing with a worn one from my old set and then ordered a new Barnett stack of friction and steel discs from Amazon. That fixed the issue. Everything needs to be in the proper order as well.

#13 ·
The issue persists. I'll try bleeding the line again, and disconnect the zip tie at the frame pivot to see if there might be air stuck there.

One thing I notice, is that after the bike has sat for several days, there is a bit of a clunk when I first pull in the clutch. Like something was sticking. I think it might be coming from the slave. Once I pull the clutch in once, the sound won't happen again unless the bike sits for another couple of days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.