S2R - Clutch not fully disengaging engine - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-10-2019, 06:11 PM Thread Starter

S2R - Clutch not fully disengaging engine

I have a 2006 S2R 800 and the clutch lever doesn't seem to completely disengage the engine when trying to roll the bike around in 1st gear. Finding neutral is easy enough, and it shifts nicely, although it goes into 1st gear with a smidgen of a clunk.

I cleaned up the clutch slave, flushed the fluid and changed the oil, but it's mostly the same.

The bigger issue is that when I start it in gear, the bike will move forward a bit. I can hold it back with my legs, and once I run it a bit, the issue lessens. But I wonder how I would know if the slave cylinder is moving enough? Or is it something else?

Any thoughts? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:26 PM

Did you check the clutch adjustment screw on the lever?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-11-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toker Indy Rules View Post
Did you check the clutch adjustment screw on the lever?
The top flat head is so shallow that I can't get a screwdriver to slot in confidently. I'm afraid I might bugger up the top of the bolt. But maybe I'll go at it again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:47 AM

Garage
it was suggested it was my pazzo after market levers. i have the extact same issue on my s2r800
also take a look at the lines. on mine its zipped to the frame about halfway down. sure looks like a perfect place for some air to collect.
might just be me obsessing. but i just did my clutch line and still feels squishy.

mine is the red one
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 08:50 AM

Garage
canbike. if you use facebook there is a group for s2r only. and that all the posts you ever see. no s4r, no m796, no 821
just s2r 800 and 1000s

mine is the red one
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 09:40 AM

Do you have aftermarket levers? Does it get worse or improve if you adjust the lever position whether the levers are aftermarket or OEM?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-12-2019, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

I have factory levers. I did adjust the lever screw in about 1/4 turn, but I'm afraid to use the screw as the solution. It seems quite far in as it is, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of play at the lever.

Having said that, I took the bike on a hard extended run today. Lots of shifting, and I got everything nice and hot. The issue of the clutch not disengaging the engine seems to go away completely when everything is nice and hot. Not sure what that indicates. Maybe just normal?

I'll let it sit overnight and see how it is when cold.

FWIW the bike has sat most of the past year... maybe 1500 kms total, and most of that, many months ago. Can a wet clutch get sticky from sitting?

Thanks for the input.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-17-2019, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanBike View Post
I have factory levers. I did adjust the lever screw in about 1/4 turn, but I'm afraid to use the screw as the solution. It seems quite far in as it is, and there doesn't seem to be a lot of play at the lever.
Are you talking about the plunger screw that pushes into the master cylinder when you squeeze the lever?

Quote:

FWIW the bike has sat most of the past year... maybe 1500 kms total, and most of that, many months ago. Can a wet clutch get sticky from sitting?

Thanks for the input.
I'm not sure. Have you changed the oil since you started riding it again?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-18-2019, 09:10 PM

I had the same problem last year. I bled the clutch lines multiple times to clear any possible air in the line. This worked fairly well but not fully. I ended up rebuilding the clutch master cylinder which seemed to fix it. I am pretty sure I picked the rebuild kit up from Gotham Cycles.

2006 S2R1000, Arrow exh, PC3, air pods.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:38 PM

Garage
look at the routing of the line it goes up before it goes back down
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-3.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	220108  

mine is the red one
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode