Starting problem :( - Page 3 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 13Likes

post #21 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosty 2.0 View Post
just watched your video and I am quite surprised that your bike cranks not in neutral? or is it in neutral. Didnt see the neutral light though. Mine wont even crank if it is not in neutral. happened to me and I was nervous that my battery is dead. charged it full but nothing still, then i noticed that i am not in neutral so i shifted to neutral voila! started strong.
Your bike should crank if your sidestand is up, and the clutch is in. The sidestand has a killswitch attached to it.

As for an Update: The starter is indeed fried, the incompetent shop diagnosed it correctly, so I have to change their name to the scaredy-shop. Here's a new question for everyone: Is it common for these bike's starters to fry on a bike with less than 10,000 miles on it? If so... how do I rig it so that's not true anymore? Also, it won't be fixed for a few weeks, and since I live in Minnesota, that means riding season will be over by the time it finally starts, so I'm a lot cranky about that right now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 09:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by savaship View Post
Here's a new question for everyone: Is it common for these bike's starters to fry on a bike with less than 10,000 miles on it? .
Yes, i think its common on these monsters cause mines is also fried and its only has 16k km and my friend just had his starter replaced under warranty and his 796 only has 4500km. well the ducati tech told us one of the reason is cranking the bike with a weak battery..
post #23 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonlai795 View Post
Yes, i think its common on these monsters cause mines is also fried and its only has 16k km and my friend just had his starter replaced under warranty and his 796 only has 4500km. well the ducati tech told us one of the reason is cranking the bike with a weak battery..
This sounds terrible! If they fail that often why hasn't Ducati addressed it? Who wants a bike with a $600 starter that fries itself everytime the voltage sags a bit (Eg. whenever it gets cold which is half the riding season in Minnesota) or every 10,000 miles whichever comes first? Are there any higher quality replacements? Has anyone retrofit a more reliable starter to their bike? When I finally get this thing to a shop that can do the warranty work on it, is there a specific starter I should request?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-28-2016, 10:34 PM

Garage
after been researching for the past week most say Denso starter is more reliable then the OEM. but i havent been able to locate one around here, and ducati here wants rm2100 (close to $600) just for the starter alone. so i bought a used one off ebay which he said only has 1500km so its basically new if he didn't lie.
post #25 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 08:27 AM

mine went out early as well. I think at 11k or 14k miles; can't remember exactly. I'm going to take mine apart and clean it every other oil change, hoping that it will prolong it's life.
post #26 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UglyBastard View Post
mine went out early as well. I think at 11k or 14k miles; can't remember exactly. I'm going to take mine apart and clean it every other oil change, hoping that it will prolong it's life.
That's a good idea! I loved your guide on how to get to the starter/stator, thank you so much for doing that.

I just don't get it... how can Ford put a starter in their ranger that costs $70 and lasts 250,000 miles, but Ducati can't get one to last 10,000 miles for $600? Makes no sense.

I've resigned that riding season is probably over for this year, I blew all my money this month getting a receiver put in my car so I could tow the bike around to a half dozen shops that all said they're too afraid of the "special tool" needed to pull the stator cover. The Duc tech at the dealer 130 miles from me is "in training" till the end of the month... so the plan currently is to tow it down there for a warranty starter replacement in a few weeks... see if I can keep the old starter and tinker with rebuilding/cleaning it over the winter... then I'll have a spare starter if it works! The goal is to have as many spare parts lying around as possible. I already changed the voltage regulator for fun, so I have a spare one of those too.
post #27 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 09:05 AM

I know you want to use the warranty but if you really want to ride, a used one should only run you about $120 and you can do it in a day.
post #28 of 37 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UglyBastard View Post
I know you want to use the warranty but if you really want to ride, a used one should only run you about $120 and you can do it in a day.
Oh I know... That's good advice, if I didn't blow all my money on that receiver/hitch/electricals to drag the bike around, I would do that... but $120 (used starter shipped in 5-7 days) + $40 (1 gallon of oil) + $10 (K&N 153 filter) + $6 (Gasket maker) adds up to about $200 after it's all shipped here (there are no local stores with these kinds of items)... Or... wait 2 weeks, and pay a $50 deductible and have a brand new starter, and oil change... moneywise, I'm ahead if I do the warranty, and I'm only behind the do-it-yourself schedule by about 10 days... normally it would be faster but the tech is off at school... I can drag it 180 miles and get it done sooner, there's a shop in Lakeville, MN that will do it... but that's 16 hours of driving to get a bike fixed... there and back, there and back again. Having a job really gets in the way sometimes
post #29 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-18-2016, 01:09 PM Thread Starter

Garage
So here's an update: I still don't have my Monster back. A shop in Monticello MN charged me $99 to tell me that it was a bad starter when I already told them that it was a bad starter. They have a Ducati certified tech there so they're supposed to be fixing it and sending the info to my service contract but it sounds like they're going to be lazy and skip that step. There is a local guy building a new starter for it now, the shop said that the factory starters are complete crap for this model and far too expensive. Again, I have to wonder how a company can build a bike with a terrible starter motor, and no one's raised a huge stink.

I emailed Ducati USA about it, and they asked me to send them a copy of the title? I said no thank you. They were still informed that their starters have issues though... these are just electric motors, they should last a very long time, not 10,000 miles... I'll let you know what the final money damages are when I get it back, but as it stands, it looks like this is going to turn into a possible legal battle in the end. So in short, don't buy a service contract... do all the work yourself... and be happier.
post #30 of 37 (permalink) Old 10-25-2016, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

Garage
And the resolution: Western Contract Group service contract paid for the repair. The shop did a great job on the bike, the tech even caught a couple things that I saw were missing when I took the fuel tank off the first time, so he replaced some missing screws. They used a locally manufactured starter motor that looks really nice, and starts the bike instantly, no chug vroom, just click-vroom. My biggest complaint was the amount of complaining the service manager did about running the bill through a service contract, but in the end it all worked out and cost me $50 total. So even though it took 6 weeks, bike is back and running again, and there's a few more appropriate riding days left up here in Minnesota, so life is back to being good! Thanks for following my crappy story about a crappy starter motor!
Lylas likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode