Luggage Rack Bolts Under Rear Seat, M696 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-10-2016, 09:02 PM Thread Starter

Luggage Rack Bolts Under Rear Seat, M696

I bought the Givi 780FZ rear luggage rack for my 2010 M696. It mounts to the 4 bolts under the passenger area of the rear seat. Anyone ever remove those bolts? I can't get any one of them to budge without stripping out the 5mm allen head. I even have an impact driver punch (the kind you hit with a hammer and it forces down and turns at the same time) and that won't even break them loose. I can't heat the bolt because the rear bracket under the bolt is painted. Any ideas besides drilling them out? I'm guessing they are either locktighted in or the steel bolt corroded some to the aluminum (or magnesium) frame they are screwed into.
[IMG][/IMG]

2010 Monster 696, 1981 Yamaha DT175, 1979 Yamaha XT500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 07:20 AM

There are numerous threads about those 4 pain in the ass bolts. i once tried taking them off and gave up before i stripped the heads. Have you tried penetrating oil? I heard great things about 50/50 acetone and dextron ATF mix. I have yet to try it though.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UglyBastard View Post
There are numerous threads about those 4 pain in the ass bolts. i once tried taking them off and gave up before i stripped the heads. Have you tried penetrating oil? I heard great things about 50/50 acetone and dextron ATF mix. I have yet to try it though.
I haven't tried penetrating oil. It doesn't look like the oil would reach the threads. The cap head on the bolt is pretty tight up against the mounting plate. Looks like I may have to skip the luggage rack. I have a nice expensive Givi case off of my last bike I wanted to put on the Monster, as I commute a lot. I do have the DP tail bag now which is working out well. Can never have enough storage though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 08:53 AM

Garage
The only other thing I can think of would be to grind/cut a slot across the head to try to be able to use a flat-head screwdriver or such against it. You risk breaking the head off, but it sounds like the hexhead is about done, anyway.

Dennis

2013 M796 ABS in Artic White
1993 XR650L (the Torque-a-Saurus)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 09:18 AM

I'd give it a try anyway. You'll likely use the oil some other time anyway if you work on your own things, so you have little to lose. spray it and let it sit a few hours. Let us know how it turns out.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 05-11-2016, 09:30 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UglyBastard View Post
I'd give it a try anyway. You'll likely use the oil some other time anyway if you work on your own things, so you have little to lose. spray it and let it sit a few hours. Let us know how it turns out.
Sounds good, I'll give it a try. Already have the oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode