A cautionary note on drain plug torque. - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 04:38 PM Thread Starter

A cautionary note on drain plug torque.

Maybe this has been covered, but I thought I would post a cautionary tale about torque specs.

Purchased a lightly used M1100 Evo this winter (man is that fun!) and decided to change the oil last week. I have a copy of the manual, and in section 3 "Maintenance operations" in the description of changing the oil, after describing cleaning the magnet it says "Tighten the plug to 42 Nm." I thought that seemed a bit much, so I poked around a bit and found 42 Nm listed as the drain plug torque on several sites, including this forum and a Youtube video.

Well, as you might guess, 42 Nm is just too much torque for the 5 mm hex to take. I put the wrench on it, but gave up well before it clicked. But, that was not before buggering the plug up a bit and not being able to get it out. Put the bike on the truck, took it to the shop, and thankfully, the pro there got it out forthwith.

Then I got smart and looked at the table of "Engine torque settings" and indeed, for "Oil drain plug with magnet" it says 20 Nm. That's more like it, and after more poking around I found other threads that indicate this. Perhaps older Monsters had a bigger plug that took more torque and the description in the manual was not updated? Regardless, my advice is to trust your gut when it comes to not putting too much torque on something and avoid the stress of worrying that you might have broken a case half. Also, the 42 Nm appears in the 796 manual (wife's bike).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 05:51 PM

This has been discussed before, and yeah, the various Ducati manuals are not known for their accuracy. Too many espressos, I suppose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitty View Post
...my advice is to trust your gut...
^^ For those with experience doing mechanical work, yes, but the caveat with this advice is that for many neophyte mechanics, their gut tells them to trust everything they read.

Bikes: Street Triple R | Monster 696 (Sold) | GSX-R600 | Ninja 250
Deals: detroit11, lauchforwards, simonlai795, obaa996
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-18-2015, 07:42 PM

I can honestly say that I have never used a torque wrench on any drain plugs, cars or motorcyle. Never had one leak, get loose or fall off. Take that however you like. Your milage may vary.

2015 Monster 821
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-11-2019, 10:07 AM

blueabyss

Bitty thanks so much for this info. I too was saying WTF about the 42nm on a 5mm hex. But glad I saw this before wrenching on the monster.

Chris
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 01:53 PM Thread Starter

Glad the info helped. As you might imagine, I was quite dismayed. I am happy for others to avoid that!

Last edited by bitty; 08-19-2019 at 01:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode