For CARB savy people need some advice - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

For CARB savy people need some advice

THanks in advance for help.

Second time I took these out. First I threw in stage 1 jet kit and did notice something strange but I figured for a carb with 97 miles replacing and cleaning the carb is enough.

What I noticed is the butterfly throttle flapper only opens a tiny bit. Dont know much about carbs but I would think it would open fully. Now the other one on the left in the picture does not move at all. Tried using fingers but no luck. Could it be seized. I did take the carb out to clean in and upgrade cause for 10 years it was sitting and ya the needles were gummed up

My problem is when I reinstall I cannot rotate the throttle. ?!?! THis was like this when it arrived. I am puzzled! No one to ask but you guys.

When I finally managed to start the bike (another fueling nightmare) it started but it would go to 5k rpm . I doubt this could have been adjusted using idle screw.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 07:38 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I'm thinking they might be upside down.......

Are you saying they won't move when off the bike, or when you hook them up they are stuck? The butterfly valves should open and close freely.

09 Aprilia RS125 plated< NEW info> Now a 144 and back on the road!
06 Paul Smart Sport Classic NFS ever.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
The pink Monster has moved away.
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Its clear now what the problem is. One of the throttle valve is stuck!

Need to figure out how to get it loose. Maybe boil the carb in water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caferacermike View Post

Are you saying they won't move when off the bike, or when you hook them up they are stuck? The butterfly valves should open and close freely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Its clear now what the problem is. One of the throttle valve is stuck!

Need to figure out how to get it loose. Maybe boil the carb in water?

I really hope I can free it somehow cause a new carb we be the only option.

Quote:

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 09:39 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
I'm a fan of boiling. If you can't get the slide out, make sure to try and keep the diaphragm out of the water as well. The diaphragm is a bitch to deal with. It can be damn near impossible to buy the stock slider with the diaphragm. There are Ebay kits where you can cut away part of the diaphragm and then glue a new one in it's place. But try not to go there.

97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

I wish it was the slider. Its the butterfly throttle that rotates on the shaft. One is fine but other is seized.

I'll take everything apart except the shaft and butterfly flap and hope for the best as I am out of ideas

Dont even have my bike licence and just got this thing an already a nightmare....only way to learn!

Quote:
I'm a fan of boiling. If you can't get the slide out, make sure to try and keep the diaphragm out of the water as well. The diaphragm is a bitch to deal with. It can be damn near impossible to buy the stock slider with the diaphragm. There are Ebay kits where you can cut away part of the diaphragm and then glue a new one in it's place. But try not to go there.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

I now know that I had a problem that usually does not occur unless the carb has been untouched for 10 years.

The throttle butterfly shaft's were stuck and after some careful brute force I managed to turn it.

Reassembled the carb and tomorrow she going in.

Wish me luck !
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2013, 08:46 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Did you lube it up at all? Some good penetrating oil like Triflow would be a good idea.

97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 05:31 PM

Garage
The throttle shaft will start to gum up even after a single season. Leaving it sitting for ten years, and it becomes glue. Should behave better now that it's being used but it still needs some cleaning and lubrication.

It should have spring tensi
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-14-2013, 05:37 PM

Garage
...ay! Stinking micro keyboard.

Spring tension should bring the butterfly valves closed. I would work some light machine oil into all the shaft joints.

If you find the carbs still need cleaning, mix plain PineSol cleaner with water in a 1:3 ratio. Let them soak overnight and then run pipe cleaners through all the carb orifices and jet holes they will fit. Rinse and repeat as needed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode