Correct jetting? 96 M900 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-13-2012, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Correct jetting? 96 M900

I've been told I need to rejet my monster. It has Danmoto slip ons and a K&N air filter.
What size pilots and mains should I be looking at and what else do I need to do? Shim anything? Etc...

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Anybody?

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-14-2012, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Since nobody else jumped in, and your question should really only be answered by your dyno tuner, I'll help with the generics.

You ask if you need to "shim". I assume you are referring to valve shimming. You'll only need that if it's been 8,000-15,000 miles since the last shimming (people are deeply divided as to how often it's necessary). The jetting and or exhaust won't affect it.

A Dan Moto exhaust and K&N air filter.... Won't change the performance a whole lot. The pilot jets won't really be affected, it's the mains you might need to watch. Read up on how to do a proper "plug chop". Basically it's all about choosing a gear to ride WOT, get it up to speed, then hit the kill switch, pull in the clutch and coast to a safe stop. Quickly remove the spark plugs and compare them to a plug chart. You want the porcelain area of the inside of the plug to be a very light coffee brown or greyish and more of a powder than a stain. White or unmarked would show that it is running lean. Lean is bad mojo and will burn a hole in your pistons.

Even just pulling your plugs on a cold engine will give you an idea of what your doing.

I wouldn't think you'd need to up your jets more than 1 size. That's just a guess though. Basically if you've done anything you're running just a touch lean. Your exhaust and filter will be flowing more air through the engine, more air=less fuel. I'd pay the $100 or so for a pass on a Dynometer with a known tuner. You'll get the answer that won't burn your pistons or valves.

Google "plug chop" for a million variations/explanations, here is one. http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Plug_chop

Google image "plug chart" for pictures. Here is one.

09 Aprilia RS125 plated< NEW info> Now a 144 and back on the road!
06 Paul Smart Sport Classic NFS ever.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
The pink Monster has moved away.
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 03:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks I contacted ca-cycleworks and they told me exactly what I needed to know! And I pulled my plugs and compared them to the chart which is the same as in my Haynes manual and I'm running lean. So need to get it rejetted and need to make sure my valves are ok!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-18-2012, 06:41 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Did they give you an estimate of how many jet sizes to go up?

09 Aprilia RS125 plated< NEW info> Now a 144 and back on the road!
06 Paul Smart Sport Classic NFS ever.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
The pink Monster has moved away.
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode