Trying to start bike "rsw 0005" appears on dash then reboot? - Page 4 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 11:28 PM

My ride in the am is about 35 min and 50 min in the pm because of traffic. What is considered extended period of time? My bike prob sits 2-3 days when i don't use it, does that time warrant the battery tender?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 03:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asanche09 View Post
My ride in the am is about 35 min and 50 min in the pm because of traffic. What is considered extended period of time? My bike prob sits 2-3 days when i don't use it, does that time warrant the battery tender?
How many Km/miles are we talking about ? Read somewhere that you need to do somewhere in the vicinity of 40/50Km's for the battery to charge...

2-3 days...during Winter...yeah, bike won't start-up on 1st crank (obviously)
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asanche09 View Post
Had the same issue, I bought a new Yuasa and the prob seems to have disappeared or at least I hope so.

Installation was a pain in the ass though, why does ducati make the battery so inaccessible?

With the new battery how often should I connect it to the battery tender? I ride maybe 4 out of 5 days a week mostly to work and back.
I asked the same thing, but after getting a good battery under there and attaching a charging cable, i've not needed to access it. So, it doesn't bother me that it's under the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 07:09 PM

10 miles which is about 25-45 min depending on traffic, I haven't connected it to the tender but I've also used it everyday this week. I think I'll connect it over the weekend since I'll be going away
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 01-30-2018, 04:19 PM

I just had a similar issue on my 2012 M796 that I bought new in 2012 and had the tender connected whenever I am not riding. I could only ride once or twice a month and the bike has about 4600 mi on the original battery.
It started last December where I would turn on the ignition, everything appeared fine, but when pressing the starter button, I heard the click, engine did not turn over, and then the "000005 rsw" on the dash. The bike would eventually start after off and then on the ignition a couple of times. Once it started, I could ride 70 miles with a couple of stops of no more than 2 hrs and the bike would start fine.

This happened twice in December 2017, after the bike was parked for about a week. After doing some research online, I checked the battery and the voltage readings appeared to be within the spec during power on, starting, and idling. So, I called my Mechanic (Scott Waters at Motoservizio, Signal Hill, CA) and he told me with the condition of my bike, it is most likely the battery is getting old. I then took the battery to Cycle Gears and they confirmed that the battery is ok, but they do not have a load tester. Bought a new OEM Yuasa, since they had it in stock, put the acid in, waited 20 min, slow charged it for 8 hrs, and have not seen the issue back for the past couple of rides this month. Again, the battery is on Tender when parked at home.

On a side note, I have Scott did the valve adjustment and changed the timing belts at about 4,500 mi, since I was concerned about the 5-year old belts condition. He actually told me to just do this at 7,500 mi, but he did agree that I should at least have someone check the belts at least once every year. I decided to just replace them and when I went picked up the bike, he showed me the belts and they are still in good condition with no cracks. He did mentioned that one of the vales was a bit tight, though.
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-16-2019, 04:47 PM

My 2012 796 is now showing these symptoms, specifically:

* When starting cold, it takes 2 cycles of the r.sw 0005 code showing and ECU resetting -- finally starting on the third try.
* If the engine's warm, it starts fine on the first try.
* Even after swapping out the battery with another lead acid one, it's still happening. Same with a green tender.

After reading the thread, it seems like have of us have resolved it with battery swaps, tenders, or (possibly) an EVAP canister removal. And half of us are just living with it. Sucks because my bike has 3000 miles on it -- embarrassing to have a problem like this. Not sure what to try next but to me, the difference in behavior when cold/warm indicates something.

On a side note, I visited the Ducati factory in Modena, Italy last year and figured out what the root cause is -- a bunch of 22 year old dudes standing around yelling at each other about their crazy girlfriends instead of watching what they're doing on the bikes. Saw a dude overtorquing an engine bolt past spec and then correcting his work in front of the whole tour group. SMH
post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-17-2019, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Michon View Post
* Even after swapping out the battery with another lead acid one, it's still happening. Same with a green tender.
I would try a brand new battery and go from there. Good luck!
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subin View Post
I would try a brand new battery and go from there. Good luck!
Yeah, I swapped the old one out with a brand new lead acid one. I havenít done a load test, but voltage is totally nominal.
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-18-2019, 04:25 PM

L twin with high compression ratio requires lots of power on start up. Your problem is that as the batteries get older the ability of the battery to put out the starting amps as when it was new decrease. Your bikes also have CAN bus and with the weakened battery the voltage gets so low that the ECU resets and with it all data stored in it are erased.

One of the problems with Ducati, and this was always a problem, is that the battery cables going to starter are undersized. You can buy a set from some vendors but they are expensive for what you get. Or you can make a set yourself. Just buy cables, end caps and the crimper and you then just copy the OEM length. You will see a marked improvement in starting, no more reset DTC and your battery will last longer.
post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-19-2019, 05:46 PM

I bought my 09 696 new. Battery tender all the time when i parked it. The original battery finally gave up the ghost 2 months ago so thats 10 yrs and 23000 miles for a yuasa battery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode