Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Headlights won't come on...

20K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Pullbackchap 
#1 ·
Sometime while I was riding today my headlights went out (2009 Monster 696). However, my parking light stays on and my turn signals work fine. First thought was maybe a blown fuse. Checked that real quick and no problems there - all fuses in working order. Just to be on the safe side I switched out the fuse tied to the lights, but problem still persists - headlights won't come on, but the parking light still works. Then I figured I'd check the bulbs to see if one/both was out. Both bulbs in tact - no problems there.

When the bike is running, in neutral all I can get to turn on is the parking light (i.e. small light in the middle of the headlight unit). If I pull the high beam headlight flasher switch (the small switch by your left index finger when gripping the handle bar) both headlights turn on without problems. Any ideas for how this is possible? Maybe a setting I could change in the menu?

On a separate but possibly related note, after tearing apart the headlight assembly I put everything back together and fired the bike up hoping that everything would just work. It didn't. But I did notice that I now have the EOBD engine diagnostic light on. The manual states that this light comes on to indicate the presence of errors leading to engine lock. Is this a straight to the dealership light or is there a way to figure out what would trip that? This light did not come on during my ride today. It only came on after I finished hooking up the headlight and instrument cluster.

All help is appreciated.

Ryan

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm starting to think the two items are related. If the EOBD light is on then the headlights don't work - is this correct? Other posts seem to corroborate this. Additionally, there was a recall for a faulty wiring harness Spring '09 - possibly could be causing the problem:
http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/tech/191954-696-wiring-harness-recall.html

http://www.ducatimonster.org/forums...or-eobd-engine-diagnostics-warning-light.html

Anybody on here experience this issue or have these problems?

#5 ·
Dealership

I'm having the exact same problem with the headlight. they do turn on with the back trigger, but that's it. how did you solve the problem? the discussion didn't continue, but could use the information.
please!
It was a faulty light relay. Took it to the dealership and had them repair it since it was under warranty. Not sure how much cost it would've cost, but I'd guess $500-$800 parts+labor depending on the dealership.

#7 ·
Thanks- I found the black/yellow wire behind headlight (on clutch side of bike) . Mine was also definitely burnt out. I scraped away the black and tried to plug back in. It totally works now. I’m a little worried about what caused this - shouldn’t the weak point have been a fuse? Thanks!

#8 ·
I followed the wires from the connector towards my battery, squeezing gently as I worked my way down the wire. I found an area that would initiate the light when I applied pressure. Removing the electrical tape carefully, I found a splice in the wire. It seems to be the point of most stress when the wheel is fully turned to the right.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.