Is the S4 Tank Different from other monster tanks ? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 12:25 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to Pancake81
Is the S4 Tank Different from other monster tanks ?

Hey guys,

I have the classic leaking from the hinge tank going on right now and I have been thinking about just buying a new tank and switching internals over. But, a Ducati Guru of mine says I cant just go out and buy a monster tank because the S4 tanks (which is what I need) is different. Apparently it has an indent in the bottom to clear the battery?

Anybody ever heard this? or can you clear it up for me please?

Heath

About the same time you're dragging your knees through a series of tight left-right-handers on Sunday afternoon, some guy in white shoes is sweating a 3-foot putt. Go figure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 01:02 PM

Re: Is the S4 Tank Different from other monster tanks ?

I had the EXACT same thing happen to my S4 tank, got it internally coated (I forget what the stuff they coat it with is) is it's been fine ever since......That was last fall.....

I found out that lifting my tank up too far and putting strain on the cheesily spot-welded hinge is what did it....

You might want to check into that coating procedure.....I am fairly positive that the S4 tank is unique to that model (as are many other parts for the S4 ).....Don't quote me on that though....Maybe an M900 tank from the same year?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 01:10 PM

read this for info on different tanks

pm this guy for info on tank repair

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pancake81
Hey guys,

I have the classic leaking from the hinge tank going on right now and I have been thinking about just buying a new tank and switching internals over. But, a Ducati Guru of mine says I cant just go out and buy a monster tank because the S4 tanks (which is what I need) is different. Apparently it has an indent in the bottom to clear the battery?

Anybody ever heard this? or can you clear it up for me please?

Heath
Pretty sure all steel tanks '03 and up will work for you.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 02:08 PM

I just fixed my 2nd(!) leaky hinge tank - the 2nd being from my 01S4. I first had it brazed, like I did on the 1st (02M750 - worked fine) but on the S4 tank the weld failed. GRRRR. I got some "Numetal" from KBS coatings and molded it all around the hinge area, seams included and it is now as good as new. Worth a try as you don't need to do much to the tank as far as taking all the internals out and such...

BTW, both tanks (S4 and 750) were identical.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 04:32 PM

01 S4 and 02 and newer Monsters, untill they started with the plastic tanks

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-05-2008, 09:50 PM

as long as (1) the tank is metal, (2) the tank has the large hole in the top, and (3) all the 4 metal spigots (whatever those little metal tubes to which all the hoses attach to are called) on the bottom rear portion of the tank are in the same configuration as your tank it will fit! i have changed tanks on my 02 s4 four times and the only think i look for are these 3 things. i always ask for a picture of the bottom rear part of the tank and make sure it looks the same as under my tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode