Someone tipped over my 620, brake question.. - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

Someone tipped over my 620, brake question..

As the title says I woke up yesterday morning and look down out of my apartment window and there she lay...

I had the 620 covered up and the steering column was locked (to the left). She fell to the right so away from the kickstand and there seems to be very little damage at first. I can replace the plastic bulb on the end of the steering bar (I hope with out much issue) and the exhaust as a few light scratches on the under side. The fact that the cover is really thick in the area probably saved it from more damage.

So my question is I have the feeling that the brake pedal has been bent slightly into the bike. There seems to be just a bit more sideway play then before. Is there something I can do to just "bend it back"?

Is there anything else I should look for after a fall like that? She seems to run fine and I can still lock up the back tire with the break.

The site of her on the side almost made me sick, I mean if someone had stolen something off it could almost understand that but to just knock it over F*cking morons...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 06:47 AM

Re: Someone tipped over my 620, breake question..

It is unlikely the tip changed sideways play. Just give it a second look over to assure nothing is cracked or loose. If the bend doesn't bother you all should be fine.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 07:36 AM Thread Starter

Re: Someone tipped over my 620, breake question..

I kind of have the feeling like I can't grab the peddle as well with my boot but I am not 100% sure.

Are there any other things I should take a look at after a tip?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 09:35 AM

Re: Someone tipped over my 620, brake question..

Just bend it back, that's what I did after stupidly tipping my S4 over not too long ago...

The lever seems to be fine......as far as what elso to look for?? Maybe bent bars, but usually it take some sustantial force to bend them.....I wouldn't rule it out though....better to be safe than sorry...

That sucks though man.....sorry to hear about it......
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 10:18 AM
yuu

The pedal is easy enough to remove, so it might help you fears jsut to pull it off and have a look. If it's bent, well you already heave it off and can bend it back.

If you're concerned you can have a peak at the steering stops for damage - but with jsut a tip over I seriously doubt any damage. There's an equally small chance the bars took a little bend - but I doubt that too.

As far as the little plastic nubbin - that's easy to replace. Just get something sharp that you can get a bit of leverage on (like an old kitchen knife) slip it between the bar and nubbin and work it free. Well that's if you're trying to to mar it.

If you don't care (and probably don't) about a little damage - just grab it with some pliers and give a good tug
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

I think by bars took the brunt of the impact. So when I rub my finger over the curve of the bars right next to where they are fastened to the steering column, the chrome is a bit "rough" so maybe the are bent just a bit?

Sorry it is hard to explain

Is this something I should worry about? She seems to ride fine and there is no play in the bar.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 10:46 AM
yuu

I know what you mean about that 'rough' feeling. It's quite possible that is chrome flaking due to it being bent. A bad bend would knock chrome right off. A little bend could cause it to feel rough. It' worth having a look at, and checking out. But maybe leave it sit for a couple days until you can look at it with a more rational point of view. Right now you might be in a position of over analyze it.

If it is bent and you want to replace it - good news is that it's one of the easiest things to replace and least expensive.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Yes, exactly!

I am wondering if it is even necessary to do anything about that. I can not see or feel a difference when riding.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 11:09 AM
yuu

IF it doesn't bother you and doesn't have a measurable effect on the bike, then why mess? Hell, one of your arms could be a tiny bit shorter than the other and this is now an 'orthopedically correct' handle bar for you...

If the bike will turn in equally to the right or left It might be fine. I'd do a little progressive testing (chincking out the feel at gradually increasing speeds) to be sure. You might notice some difference in feel as the forces acting on the bike are greater. But it's possible that it bent in a way that really doesn't effect anything
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 09:38 PM

based on the description of the fall it sounds likely the bar didn't bend towards the tank.

That'd be my concern. If the bars were bent, making one end impact the tank.

andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode