FIM ECU question - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 11:10 AM Thread Starter

FIM ECU question

Anyone here know much about FIM ECUs? I'm in Portland, and I don't know of anyone here that tunes 'em. I'm not sure what I have is an FIM ECU, I just know it's a distinct possibility.

So what I have is either a stock ECU, or an FIM ECU that's mapped for DP/Remus high pipes and a stock airbox on a 900 Supersport.

What I need to know is: when I reinstall the stock lo-mount pipes in order to carry a passenger, will that cause problems with an FIM ECU mapped for the lower-restriction Ducati Performance pipes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 12:05 PM

Re: FIM ECU question

Can you post a picture of your ECU?

My FIM is labeled as Ultimap U59.G2.

Nick<br />'02 S4 -&nbsp; Testa Rossa Scorta - Cherrybomb Cans..FIM ECU..Barnett basket..SBK Velocity Stacks<br />Mag Marchesinis..3X BrakeTech Iron..Brembo 4-pads..RaceTech G/V's..Ohlins 46PRCS<br />C'Cat Bars..Yoyodyne Slave..CRG L/S's and Black Shorties..Zumo550<br />'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon 900 - 16t front sprocket...Euro blinkers...TKC 80's...OEM W heads&nbsp; :P<br />[size=8pt] Captivated by her beauty | I knew it was my lifelong duty | - Mike Ness[/size]<br />[size=8pt]Flight Motorcycle Corp. Hired Gun.[/size]
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 12:11 PM

You should have a Magnetti Marelli 1.5M ECU. FIM has a flash load programmer that can update that ECU with a custom map for your needs.

http://www.fuelinmoto.com.au/

Scroll down to the heading: UltiMapĀ® FlashLoads for Ducati 900ss & Guzzi V11 Sport

Not sure who does the flash loading these days, maybe Silverback? But I don't think putting the stock exhaust back on would do much more than cause it to run a little rich if your ECU is mapped for slip-ons only.

I believe duckman851 answered your question yesterday. And yes it is a stock ECU.
https://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/ind...topic=111145.0

If loud pipes save lives, imagine what learning to ride that thing could do.<br /><br /><br />00&nbsp; M900Sie<br />08&nbsp; Concours 14 ABS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 02:50 PM

COntact Fred or Doug at Silverback for the Flashload.

There are a few others that do it as well, but Doug does my FI mapping.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-30-2008, 08:39 PM

portland where?
Maine?
bruce meyers of meyers performance (former BCM owner) might also be able to help you.
Anyway the ecu will not care one set of slip ons to the other. there is very little difference in the cans. open air box vs. closed airbox is another story.
good luck
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 01:08 PM
EEL

Most likely he's referring to Portland, Oregon.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 01:24 PM

Or you could look at his profile, which states Oklahoma

Bike Info: 2000 M900Sie
Local Time: May 01, 2008, 01:244 pm
Language: English
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 02:23 PM Thread Starter

^ Umm, wrong profile....

Here's mine:
Quote:
Bike Info: 2001 SS900ie Monoposto
Tualatin is a suburb of Portland, Oregon. If I were in the Northeast I'd talk to the BCM folks. Unfortunately, they're the only dealer still listed on FIM's website, and FIM doesn't give out their e-mail addy on the site. You have to fax them (an international fax, for those of us in the 'States), and they'll e-mail you back their addy. Sorry boys & girls, I'd rather not pay for a fax to find out *if* they can even answer my question.

There's one or two people I can talk to in Portland who *might* have or know someone nearby with the FIM software, but it's pretty long odds.

Anyway, thanks much for the input! I figured that just changing the pipes shouldn't mess with it too badly, especially not for occasional use only. If all else fails... I can cut 'em open and put a larger-diameter perfed core in them. I'm asking because the guy who currently owns the stock pipes I'm buying expressed concern about the ECU being way too radical to run with stock pipes.

I wouldn't even be asking if I could afford the $600 for DP low-mounts (which include the ecu), but I only need lows for occasional passenger duty, and I can't justify wasting that much money on something that won't get used much. If I start carrying a passenger regularly, I'll be aquiring a more suitable bike (MTS or ST), and the SS will either go back to full-time monoposto, or it'll go down the road.

Thanks again!
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 06:33 PM

DOH! Bangs head on desk!

:P

I know for a fact that Silverback has the capability to do your flashload. Doug has been doing FIM stuff for many years.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 06:41 PM

BCM can do it too.

Doug is closer.

You can call BCM or contact them at www.bcmducati.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode