'05 S2R 800 stuck in 2nd gear...??? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

'05 S2R 800 stuck in 2nd gear...???

Riding along today, launched from a red light, and my bike wouldn't shift out of second gear. Lever is unmovable! Tried by hand, with foot, rocking w/ clutch in/clutch out, riding at low/high revs while attempting to move lever--no luck!

Anybody have any advice as to how to "unstick" my gear lever??

Thanks,
Greg in Houston

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 02:26 PM

Re: '05 S2R 800 stuck in 2nd gear...???

First check to see if it's just the linkage that's binding.

If that is OK, then it may be that something's wrong inside, sometimes the spring #20 (in the pic) breaks.

[img width=600 height=432]https://www.ducatimonster.org/gallery/albums/userpics/11888/shifter.jpg[/img]

Nick<br />'02 S4 -&nbsp; Testa Rossa Scorta - Cherrybomb Cans..FIM ECU..Barnett basket..SBK Velocity Stacks<br />Mag Marchesinis..3X BrakeTech Iron..Brembo 4-pads..RaceTech G/V's..Ohlins 46PRCS<br />C'Cat Bars..Yoyodyne Slave..CRG L/S's and Black Shorties..Zumo550<br />'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon 900 - 16t front sprocket...Euro blinkers...TKC 80's...OEM W heads&nbsp; :P<br />[size=8pt] Captivated by her beauty | I knew it was my lifelong duty | - Mike Ness[/size]<br />[size=8pt]Flight Motorcycle Corp. Hired Gun.[/size]
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks much, Speeddog..

How do I check to see if the linkage is binding? Nothing immediately visible that appears unordinary..

How difficult is it to break open the gearbox to investigate? I do have experience working on my cars, so I should be OK, hopefully!

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 04:47 PM

Greg, I had this exact same problem on my 07 695. It happened three times in three days and took the shop almost 3 months to fix (FYI, not the shop's fault it took that long, DNA was dragging their feet). There ended up being a broken "shim" in the shift drum along with the drive shaft (I think, it had something else to do with shimming) was at least 3mm off of what it should have been.

The shop replaced all the outer components first and that didn't fix it. They eventually took the cases off and basically replaced a bunch of the transmission. I continued having weird shifting problems until I sold the bike back and bought a different one.

Long story long, I don't think it'd be an easy thing to look at cause they had to get into the gear box and shift drum and such. But, if you're willing and strong of heart, go for it.

If you'd like the exact details of what the issue turned out to be, PM me and I'll pull my maintenance records.

Good luck!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 07:07 PM Thread Starter

Thanks JDubbs..

Do I have to drain the oil to remove gearbox cover? I'm think I'm gonna go in for a better look!

Greg
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 07:17 PM

I believe so. But, I'm not a mechanic. In fact, I'm pretty certain my boobs have been preventing me from understanding an engine for a couple of years now.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 07:26 PM

Yes, you should drain the oil to take the left sidecover off.
Or pull the cover and have it spill out....

You'll need a puller to get the cover off, as there's a bearing in the cover that goes onto the end of the crank.
It doesn't have to be a very robust puller, it's just that with the bearing and the rotor magnets, you can't just pull the cover off by hand.

Nick<br />'02 S4 -&nbsp; Testa Rossa Scorta - Cherrybomb Cans..FIM ECU..Barnett basket..SBK Velocity Stacks<br />Mag Marchesinis..3X BrakeTech Iron..Brembo 4-pads..RaceTech G/V's..Ohlins 46PRCS<br />C'Cat Bars..Yoyodyne Slave..CRG L/S's and Black Shorties..Zumo550<br />'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon 900 - 16t front sprocket...Euro blinkers...TKC 80's...OEM W heads&nbsp; :P<br />[size=8pt] Captivated by her beauty | I knew it was my lifelong duty | - Mike Ness[/size]<br />[size=8pt]Flight Motorcycle Corp. Hired Gun.[/size]
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 07:30 PM

Thank goodness. I was hoping a more experienced person would chime in. Thanks Speeddog!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks JDubbs and Speeddog..

I have several pullers, hope one of them will work. It needs to be a bearing puller?

JDubbs, no worries, I'm sure your ----- are helpful in other pursuits! :-)

Let me add one more detail--the lever appears to be in the lowest possible position, if that may mean something to somebody!

I appreciate the advice, all.

One more question--is there a downloadable S2R 800 service manual somewhere? Or at least a parts book?

Thanks,
Greg
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:45 PM

You can download a parts manual with excellent exploded views from Ducati.com

A steering wheel puller works great for the cover.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode