Valve guides for DS1000 motor - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 01:16 AM Thread Starter
Kui

Valve guides for DS1000 motor

Did some research and it appears that several people have gotten valve guides from an outside source pressed into their heads. To my understanding, Ducati will warranty this issue with the same valve guides, and the new valve guide design doesnt seem to be working to well. Where could i find these after market valve guides? I would rather have them install a better aftermarket one than have to deal with this issue again.

I found these, http://www.nicholsmfg.com/valveguides.html does anyone have any experience with these?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 02:12 AM

Re: Valve guides for DS1000 motor

No experience with them.

Keep in mind that the DS motor has 7mm valve stems, while the other air-cooled Monster motors have 8mm valve stems.

Nick<br />'02 S4 -&nbsp; Testa Rossa Scorta - Cherrybomb Cans..FIM ECU..Barnett basket..SBK Velocity Stacks<br />Mag Marchesinis..3X BrakeTech Iron..Brembo 4-pads..RaceTech G/V's..Ohlins 46PRCS<br />C'Cat Bars..Yoyodyne Slave..CRG L/S's and Black Shorties..Zumo550<br />'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon 900 - 16t front sprocket...Euro blinkers...TKC 80's...OEM W heads&nbsp; :P<br />[size=8pt] Captivated by her beauty | I knew it was my lifelong duty | - Mike Ness[/size]<br />[size=8pt]Flight Motorcycle Corp. Hired Gun.[/size]
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 03:26 AM

You can also give Guy Martin a call at MBP Ducati. They fabricate manganese bronze valve guides.

http://www.mbpducati.ca/can/shop/pro...roducts_id=237

'09 848
'05 S2R
'03 M620
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast
You can also give Guy Martin a call at MBP Ducati. They fabricate manganese bronze valve guides.

http://www.mbpducati.ca/can/shop/pro...roducts_id=237
I've go mine done by him at 10000 km and by now (18000km) still running great
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 06:49 PM

I had mine done under warranty but they were not the same as stock & Ducati only paid.... a local machine shop did the guides.

I had the MBP colletts installed too & the tech really liked them.... he said that they are much easier than the stock keepers as they snap into place when you rotate the rocker arm.

Only time will tell how the guides & the retainers work out.

Mods:&nbsp; , Shift Tech hugger, belt covers, spocket cover &amp; chian guard,&nbsp; CRG mirrors &amp; levers, more to come...
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 07:19 PM

easy calculation really.
If ducati is picking up the tab let them put in the newest guides (they have been updated in 2006) on their dime.
if Ducati is not going to pay have some of the aftermarket guides installed by a reputable shop.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Kui

the funny thing is, i heard they were updated in middle of 06, at the same time, my bike was a mid 06 bike with the newer 32mm sprocket nut. so im assuming this engine has the new valve guides,(but ofcourse the motor could of been built way before then as an m1000 engine) so unless someone can tell me the new ducati design valve guides wont wear on me (my warranty is up in January 08, so the only thing i can do is check the valve guides after warranty when i put another 6,000 miles on the bike this summer (which is going to be pretty easy with my new forks heh)
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 07:19 PM

If you are the original owner you have a very good chance of getting the guides changed under a good will warranty . Have the horizontal exhaust valve checked soon, it s the easiest to check. The exhausts are the more prone to be bad. see if they are bad and get to your dealer to try for a good will. the longer you wait and the more miles you put on the less likely you will be for good will.

good luck
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
Kui

My warranty is still in effect, the 06 was prucahsed as a 07 eft over stock, so it began is warranty as of jan 07. So i have until jan 09 to use it. The exahust valve guide is actually the worst one, it has over 1/2 inch of travel to each side. Im just wondering if me purchasing aftermarket valve guides would be better than the redesigned ones that ducati used. I only have 6300 miles on mine, and i skipped the valve adjustment because of the vavle guide issue. the exahust clearences are pretty off.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kui
----------snip--------------
it has over 1/2 inch of travel to each side.
----------snip--------------

Nick<br />'02 S4 -&nbsp; Testa Rossa Scorta - Cherrybomb Cans..FIM ECU..Barnett basket..SBK Velocity Stacks<br />Mag Marchesinis..3X BrakeTech Iron..Brembo 4-pads..RaceTech G/V's..Ohlins 46PRCS<br />C'Cat Bars..Yoyodyne Slave..CRG L/S's and Black Shorties..Zumo550<br />'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon 900 - 16t front sprocket...Euro blinkers...TKC 80's...OEM W heads&nbsp; :P<br />[size=8pt] Captivated by her beauty | I knew it was my lifelong duty | - Mike Ness[/size]<br />[size=8pt]Flight Motorcycle Corp. Hired Gun.[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode