Programmable ignition for 2V carbies!!! - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #11 of 400 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 06:32 PM

Re: Programmable ignition for 2V carbies!!!

maybe the base timing thing is an offset to allow for where the pickups sit and what timing they give as fitted. perhaps.

this unit is exactly what i wanted to get made, and i was going to use an offset of some sort to allow the timing specified to be aligned with the pickup position, without having to pull the side cover off and reset the pickups.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 400 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Great!
Finally I can get Brad back some useful stuff for all the hard earned info he shared w us!

From what I have understood of base timing, it`s the preignition engine needs at idle/no load.
You calculate it via the total length of of the outer radius of the flywheel, compared to the two ignitition points on the flywheel. If wheel is f e 475mm total & 1 turn is 360 degrees, 1 degree is 1,32mm. Distance between the 2 ign points on my flywheel is 38,5mm. 38,5mm equals 29,5 degrees.
Max advace is supposed to be 38 degrees = base advance should be 9 degrees. Am I right (I`ve had a few beers tonight...)?

Anyway, you could adjust the ignition curve and the base advance totally independent w this unit!

As mentioned before, the Czechs could be slow w answering mail.

Quote:
without having to pull the side cover off and reset the pickups.
Which affects the whole ignition map,w this unit you don`t have to do that.
But it sort of can do that, it has a +/- feature for the whole map except base advance.

And btw, I haven`t used the TPS just to make things less complicated, amateur as I am...

900SS heads w polished ports &amp; matched inlets, Keihin FCR 41 w KN pods, JE HC pistons, opened exhaust xover, SilMoto highmount ss,&nbsp; lw flywheel, alu clutchbasket &amp; plates, DynaCoils, Ignitech TCI-P4 programmable ignition, 15/41 gearing. <br />Ohlins rear, early 90`s SS Showa f adj fork w Ohlins springs, Toby st damper, Nichols Engine Bolts, rear raised 14mm, forks 23mm over triple, Sato f adj clipons, R6 wheels w EBC 300mm rotors w EBC HH. <br />Corbin seat. LED: Turn &amp; rear , idiots &amp; reg plate.
post #13 of 400 (permalink) Old 09-17-2007, 11:51 PM

Any one interested in group buy? Might get a stronger response out of them.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 400 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 12:34 AM

i've been logging my 750 with a map sensor on it for manifold vacuum. cruising at 60km/h it's running about 18 cm vacuum, or 3.5v. at 110km/h it's running about 14 cm vacuum, or 3.7v. you could easily equate that to a tps % (min 0v, max 4.85v) and just use as required. should help pick up fuel economy.

group buy sounds ok, but they'd need to go to a few different places - i'm in aust. and they give 25% off if you buy 10 or more - that's not going to attract many importers or dealers i wouldn't think. we'd need to get a fair few connectors too - you could just plug straight into the loom that way.

you could set the timing to 10 degreees over the whole range and check it with a light to see the offset anyway. i'm sure they've thought of it. maybe i should just read the instructions.

when can i get it, when can i get it, when can i get it, when can i get it, when can i get it, etc.

one of the big issues i've had with the 750 (minnie the 600m w/750 motor) is the spot just before the advance starts (1500 to 2,000), especially on cold mornings as i go straight into lane splitting at the end of my street. i've now gone to 42.5 pilots, but like that it's a bit rich at 50 or so km/h cruise. with this the progressive advance should eliminate a lot of that issue and the need for overly rich mixture just there. so i can go back to 40 pilots, which are better for fuel economy.
post #15 of 400 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 12:50 AM

page 5 of the instructions shows the base advance as the degrees between the trailing edge of the lump and tdc. so it should be a nominal 6 degrees in the case on non adjusted pick ups on a carb ducati 2v. you can adjust the first step down to 200rpm, so you'd use this for idle and below. i guess if you wanted advance to start at 1300 rpm then you'd make that lowest point 1300 and it would be fixed under that and vary up to the next point from there.

can't wait to try it.
post #16 of 400 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Tried both one and two points for idle under 1000RPM, no work for me.
Mine actually best w 1st point 1500/6 degrees, 10 base adv.
Tried 0,8,9 base adv, didn`t really notice any difference?!?

2000/14 makes it smoooth low revs/small throttle openings.

Measuring full advance w strobe on flywheel could be up to 1,5 degree wrong.

Can`t wait to see what a pro can do w this!

When ordering you must stress that you get connectors. One of us here in Sweden didn`t get them,
two others, incl me, got them + ones to make an extension.

900SS heads w polished ports &amp; matched inlets, Keihin FCR 41 w KN pods, JE HC pistons, opened exhaust xover, SilMoto highmount ss,&nbsp; lw flywheel, alu clutchbasket &amp; plates, DynaCoils, Ignitech TCI-P4 programmable ignition, 15/41 gearing. <br />Ohlins rear, early 90`s SS Showa f adj fork w Ohlins springs, Toby st damper, Nichols Engine Bolts, rear raised 14mm, forks 23mm over triple, Sato f adj clipons, R6 wheels w EBC 300mm rotors w EBC HH. <br />Corbin seat. LED: Turn &amp; rear , idiots &amp; reg plate.
post #17 of 400 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 11:20 AM

If you put together a group buy, I want 3, maybe four, and I'm a shop if that might help. I DEFINATLY need connectors, a few extra if possible.
Who wants to run point on the group buy effort? Jeff H. might want a few for the DML store.

www.hurricanemotorcycles.com
A man that works with his hands is a laborer.
A man that works with his hands & mind is a craftsman.
A man that works with his hands, mind, & heart, is an artist.
post #18 of 400 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 12:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to punker248

Norm,

I'm thinking this might be a great thing for that motor you're building me.

Justin

Listen, not a year goes by, not a year, that I don&#039;t hear about some escalator accident involving some bastard kid which could have easily been avoided had some parent - I don&#039;t care which one - but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator.
post #19 of 400 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 02:45 PM

Sure, it'll be about a year & wait 'til you see the bill!!

www.hurricanemotorcycles.com
A man that works with his hands is a laborer.
A man that works with his hands & mind is a craftsman.
A man that works with his hands, mind, & heart, is an artist.
post #20 of 400 (permalink) Old 09-18-2007, 08:16 PM Thread Starter

A buy of 10 units will reduce the price quite a bit.
Yuo must stress that you get the connections.
And, again, they can be slow w replys.
But last week they`ve responded to me in a day or two.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode