Excellent Chain And Sprocket Information - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Excellent Chain And Sprocket Information

...to help you decide what is the best way to go, read this below and make you own choice however one thing that comes out blindingly obvious is that running uneven or odd numbers on your front and rear sprockets will significantly increase your chain life.

Read on!!

14-Tooth vs. 15-Tooth Front Sprocket Wear
For (say) a 96-link chain ...
A 15-tooth front sprocket will contact the same chain link every 32 revolutions. 15 x 32 = 480 links ÷96 = every 5 chain revolutions.
A 14-tooth front sprocket will contact the same chain link every 48 revolutions. 14 x 48 = 672 ÷96 = every 7 chain revolutions.
With the same rear sprocket and at the same road speed, the 14-tooth sprocket and the 15-tooth sprocket both contact the same number of chain links per unit time.
So for example, for every 35 chain revolutions, the 15 tooth sprocket contacts the same link 7 times and the 14-tooth sprocket contacts the same link 5 times.
If we assume that there is a defect on one of the front sprocket teeth (or a particular chain link) that can cause abnormal wear to the same chain link (or sprocket tooth) when contacted over and over again, the 14-tooth sprocket would actually result in (7-5)/7 = 29% LESS defect-related wear than a 15-tooth sprocket.
However, for the same 35 chain revolutions, the 15-tooth sprocket rotates 224 times and the 14-tooth sprocket rotates 240 times so the 14 tooth sprocket (and the chain) would see (240-224)/240 = 7% MORE continuous wear than a 15-tooth sprocket.

Odd vs. Even Sprocket Teeth Wear Pattern
For reduced wear to the sides of the sprocket teeth, it’s better to run odd-numbered tooth sprockets, front and rear. Here’s why.
A chain alternates its links inside-outside such that side-to-side chain positioning is controlled by contact between a sprocket's teeth and the inside links. Because a chain always has an even number of links, each tooth on an even number-tooth sprocket will always contact either an inside link or an outside link. Each tooth on an odd number-tooth sprocket will alternate between inside and outside links that gives a uniform wear pattern to the sides of the sprocket.
Of course, this really isn't a significant problem with steel sprockets, so Ducati uses a 14-tooth front sprocket on some models. Even-tooth rear sprockets are standard on a number of models. However, if you intend to replace your sprockets with aluminum which is a lighter, but softer material, accelerated sprocket wear will be a consideration.
But who cares? A little wear on the sides of a sprocket doesn't significantly affect chain engagement.
==================================================
Wear to the face of the tooth is the reason for using a hunting tooth when meshing two gears. When you have a chain-driven sprocket instead of gear-to-gear contact, the wear issue becomes avoiding the same teeth on the sprockets repeatedly meshing with the same links on the chain.

How often the same tooth meshes with the same link can be calculated by comparing the number of teeth on each sprocket to the number of links in the chain.
The first step is to factor the number of teeth and links into prime numbers. Here’s some common results:
Front Sprockets
14 tooth - factors: 7x2
15 tooth - factors: 5x3
Rear Sprockets
36 tooth - factors: 3x3x2x2
37 tooth - factors: 37
38 tooth - factors: 19x2
39 tooth - factors: 39
40 tooth - factors: 5x2x2x2
41 tooth - factors: 41
42 tooth - factors: 7x3x2
43 tooth - factors: 43
44 tooth - factors: 11x2x2
45 tooth - factors: 5x3x3
Chain Links
94 links - factors: 47x2
96 links - factors: 3x2x2x2x2x2
98 links - factors: 7x7x2
Two numbers are defined as relatively prime if they have no common factors. The front sprocket/chain combinations from above that are relatively prime are:
15 tooth front - 94 link chain, 98 link chain
The sprocket and chain will meet at the same spot every 15 turns of the chain and 94 or 98 turns of the sprocket respectively.
14 Tooth front - none of the combinations are relatively prime. If the two numbers aren't relatively prime, then the number of turns will be divided by the common factors. For example:
14 tooth front - 94 link chain
Here, 14 (7x2) and 94 (47x2) have the common factor of 2. Consequently, the sprocket and chain will meet at the same spot every 7 turns of the chain and 47 turns of the sprocket.
14 tooth front - 96 link chain
Here, 14 (7x2) and 96 (48x2) have the common factor of 2. Consequently, the sprocket and chain will meet at the same spot every 7 turns of the chain and 3 turns of the sprocket.
14 tooth front - 98 link chain
Here, 14 (7x2) and 98 (7x7x2) have the common factors of 2 and 7. Consequently, the sprocket and chain will meet at the same spot every turn of the chain and 7 turns of the sprocket. Not very good for wear.
The rear sprocket/chain combinations are computed separately, the same way as for the front. Here’s the result for combinations that are commonly used:
36 tooth rear (18x2) - 94 link chain (47x2)
Here, the common factor is 2. Consequently, the sprocket and chain will meet at the same spot every 18 turns of the chain and 47 turns of the sprocket.
38 tooth rear (19x2) - 94 link chain (47x2)
Here, the common factor is 2. Consequently, the sprocket and chain will meet at the same spot every 19 turns of the chain and 47 turns of the sprocket.
38 tooth rear (19x2) - 96 link chain (48x2)
Here, the common factor is 2. Consequently, the sprocket and chain will meet at the same spot every 19 turns of the chain and 48 turns of the sprocket.
40 tooth rear (5x2x2x2) - 96 link chain (12x2x2x2)
Here, the common factor is 2x2x2. Consequently, the sprocket and chain will meet at the same spot every 5 turns of the chain and 12 turns of the sprocket.
42 tooth rear (21x2) - 96 link chain (48x2)
Here, the common factor is 2. Consequently, the sprocket and chain will meet at the same spot every 21 turns of the chain and 48 turns of the sprocket.
42 tooth rear (21x2) - 98 link chain (49x2)
Here, the common factor is 2. Consequently, the sprocket and chain will meet at the same spot every 21 turns of the chain and 49 turns of the sprocket.
44 tooth rear (22x2) - 98 link chain (49x2)
Here, the common factor is 2. Consequently, the sprocket and chain will meet at the same spot every 22 turns of the chain and 49 turns of the sprocket.
45 tooth rear (5x3x3) - 98 link chain (49x2)
No common factors. Consequently, the sprocket and chain will meet at the same spot every 98 turns of the chain and 45 turns of the sprocket.

Cheers<br /><br />Monstaman<br /><br />ANDI&#039;S PICS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 04:50 PM

Re: Excellent Chain And Sprocket Information

Sorry, I ride for fun, not mathematics. I'm sure you are right, that's just information overload.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 06:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwajr
Sorry, I ride for fun, not mathematics. I'm sure you are right, that's just information overload.
Glad to be of help!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-22-2007, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Actually, I did not write it, this is great work from Shazaam from Speedzilla, I asked a question and this is what he came back with, very good info and I wanted to share it, I summarised it at the top by saying what was optimal, i.e. odd numbers sprockets.

It is always nice to have some insight into what we can do to keep the running cost of our machines down.

hwjar, you should appreciate free information and read my summary first, when you sound unappreciative people may not rush to give you further info, and for your info I clock up considerable miles on my bikes and don't sit there doing math about it.

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-23-2007, 05:49 AM
Pip

Send a message via AIM to Pip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstaman
Actually, I did not write it, this is great work from Shazaam from Speedzilla, I asked a question and this is what he came back with, very good info and I wanted to share it, I summarised it at the top by saying what was optimal, i.e. odd numbers sprockets.

It is always nice to have some insight into what we can do to keep the running cost of our machines down.

hwjar, you should appreciate free information and read my summary first, when you sound unappreciative people may not rush to give you further info, and for your info I clock up considerable miles on my bikes and don't sit there doing math about it.
It's always nice to get some educational benefit out of something you love to do. i appreciate you posting this man, and I'm sure others do as well. Don't let the last two throw you off.

to you.

Jan 7, 2008. BEST DAY EVER!!!!<br /><br />2005 Ducati Monster 620. Brembo Goldlines.<br /><br />1976 Honda CB250. Rusty, in pieces, and the tank is under the watchful eye and in the careful hands of DucPainter.
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip
IDon't let the last two throw you off.
+1

Good post. (If hwajr and robhuber don't want to read technical stuff, there's no end of asinine posts they can read over in nmc )

If I remember, I'll post up a pic of the front sprocket from my "worst case" sprocket choice of 14/42 - even number of teeth both front and rear, and the number of front teeth evenly dividing into the number of rear teeth - about the only other mistake I could have made was running 84 (or 126) links of chain, I think I had 102 links.

big
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-24-2007, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monstaman
...to help you decide what is the best way to go, read this below and make you own choice however one thing that comes out blindingly obvious is that running uneven or odd numbers on your front and rear sprockets will significantly increase your chain life.

Read on!!

14-Tooth vs. 15-Tooth Front Sprocket Wear
For (say) a 96-link chain ...

That's great, Monstaman! Thanks.

After changing to 14T on my 2007 695, I trully recommend it with the stock rear sprocket. The best mod one can have almost for free.

Don't know about wear but the change of the pull power is really big.

"I know I'm heading for the bottom . . . but I'm riding you all the way!"

My pack of Ducs
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 03:37 PM

great post. you confirm what i've been leaning towards, keeping the 15T up front and going to a 41T on the rear of my S4. great info.

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? Open clutch cover, oil filler plug, Rizoma mirrors, 41T rear sprocket, lowering link, bikini fairing and seat fairing (removed and reinstalled, whatever the mood). Planned Mods - Termi High-mounts, tail-chop.

Former Bikes: 1986 Yamaha FZ600 and 1986 Cagiva 650SS
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 04:01 PM

m y h e a d h u r t s . . . . . .
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hwajr
well put, i will just replace my chain when it's time

My Other Monster....<br />
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode