Excellent Chain And Sprocket Information - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-25-2007, 09:10 PM Thread Starter

Re: Excellent Chain And Sprocket Information

I like the engineering side of our bikes so pay a bit of interest to it, my next front sprocket will be 15 and the rear 41 as well.

What Shazaam does not say is that chain chatter is also significantly reduced having the larger front sprockets.

Check out the GP and WSBK sprockets, they tend to be quite large, not just for gearing either!

For those who wonna bin the article step out of the tech section, or read the top bit only as I did the work for you.

Cheers to thos who appreciate it

Cheers<br /><br />Monstaman<br /><br />ANDI&#039;S PICS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 01:34 PM
M695 Army Man

Whooo Big Boy - Someone has got way to much free time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is it like Cold where you live?

I think when my chain wears out, I will just replace it and the sprockets at the same time!!!!

Brian F
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 01:48 PM

thank the Monster gods for threads like this. yes this stuff makes my head hurt and he lost me at the first equation, but it's still great info for some of us who want to understand why certain combos work better than others. when i called the closest Ducati shop all the techs were in agreement that 14T was the best way to go on my S4. several S4 owners on this BB disagreed, saying that 15T on the front was better due to chain clearance issues, and that the same thing could be achieved by going bigger in back. the odd tooth count thing is brilliant, since i never would've considered that, but it makes so much sense once explained in such a manner.

for those who just want to trust their techs and pay for whatever they put on, fine, click on the Back arrow. or if some don't care about why things wear out faster, same thing.

i for one think this section of the DML was created exactly for this type of info.

great thread.

If love is blind, why is lingerie so popular? Open clutch cover, oil filler plug, Rizoma mirrors, 41T rear sprocket, lowering link, bikini fairing and seat fairing (removed and reinstalled, whatever the mood). Planned Mods - Termi High-mounts, tail-chop.

Former Bikes: 1986 Yamaha FZ600 and 1986 Cagiva 650SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-26-2007, 06:15 PM

Cool post!

It reminds me of a section from a book I have read Cryptonomicon (Neil Stevenson) The author was talking about if you had a bent tooth on the front sprocket of a bicycle and a corresponding issue with one chain link how and every time they met it would throw the chain.

I'll see if I can find a on-line version of that text, good read.

Great book BTW

- Paz
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 07:05 AM

Thanks for passing the information on but a bit over my level of understanding. I can figure out your first summary but then its too much.
post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-28-2007, 11:55 AM

I ride for fun and truly enjoy mathematics too. This is an awesome post. Interesting and at the same time very informative. We all need to take those variables seriously when considering sprocket changes. Thanks......
post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 10:34 AM

Nice Post!!
I have an doubt that with all this Math, I could not figure out.
I have an M600 -2001 Its stock.
I read the manual, and there it says that the diff of the 600, 750 and 900 is only the sprocklet (rear) the spark of 15 theeth are the same.
So, i was thinkng of changing my 46 original sprocklet for an 39 (same as the 900) to raise the top speed of my bike.

What u all think about it?
Will I loose too much "drag"?
Is it a nice change, or do u suggest another change?

Thanks for all the help,

-J.
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 04-30-2007, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Maybe a change like that might steal a bit much power off the bottom, not having a 600 I am unsure of the real world output and rideability of your bike.

Just make sure you do not rob too much from the bottom or your bike will feel like a 400!

Cheers<br /><br />Monstaman<br /><br />ANDI&#039;S PICS
post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 07:49 AM

What rear sprocket does the 2001 M900 come with? Is 41t the best rear to go with?
Thx!
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 05-30-2007, 02:03 PM

Hi,

There is an execelent calculator where you can load your chain and sprocket combination and calculate the differences

http://www.xs4all.nl/~ator0437/gc/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode