Timing belts....why 12K km? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 11:56 AM Thread Starter

Timing belts....why 12K km?

I read a few topics on timing belt recommendations. Some people say 12K miles 2 years, while my original manual (1995 M900) says 30K km (about 18K miles). In the automotive world belt recommendations are pretty conservative, so I'd imagine 30 K km is pretty conservative as well. After all the bike is never started in sub zero temps like cars are. Has anyone experienced belt failure before 18K miles on the street (racing and extensive rack use is a different deal IMHO).

TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 12:04 PM

Re: Timing belts....why 12K km?

The earleyer type belt (white print) you'd better change on time ,when you have the red print belts you could gamble
But do you know what happens when the belt breaks
i think it will cost you a bit more dan 40$ for new belts
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

I defintely have the red belts, I leave mine open so they are subject to less heat. They have about 8K miles 2 years on them,. I don't think it is a big gamble to run them at least 1 more year. The are still pretty snug even with 8K miles on them and I don't ride that hard either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnztr
I read a few topics on timing belt recommendations. Some people say 12K miles 2 years, while my original manual (1995 M900) says 30K km (about 18K miles). In the automotive world belt recommendations are pretty conservative, so I'd imagine 30 K km is pretty conservative as well. After all the bike is never started in sub zero temps like cars are. Has anyone experienced belt failure before 18K miles on the street (racing and extensive rack use is a different deal IMHO).

TIA
Quote:
I defintely have the red belts, I leave mine open so they are subject to less heat. They have about 8K miles 2 years on them,. I don't think it is a big gamble to run them at least 1 more year. The are still pretty snug even with 8K miles on them and I don't ride that hard either.
Conditions for your bike aren't really the same as automotive applications. Lose a belt on the duc and it's a catastrophic event. While yes, I agree, you've got some room to wiggle beyond 12k 2years and there aren't THAT many examples of failed belts, they do exist.

A quick search comes up with 2 very useful threads that you should read through:

https://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/ind...c,46485.0.html

https://www.ducatimonster.org/smf/ind...c,48161.0.html

will your belts break with the intended extended use? I doubt it, but it's definitely a risk that you take
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 03:23 PM

Quote:
The only comment I would share is that hey are cheep and easy to replace, why not just replace them vs wonder?
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-27-2006, 05:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmopilot
The only comment I would share is that hey are cheep and easy to replace, why not just replace them vs wonder?
Well, after reading some of the threads, there is little peace of mind to be had by replacing early. There is one case of a belt breaking at 1000 miles!!! Also, someone pointed out, many things will fail early in their lifecycle due to a manufacturing defect or installation error. Ducati says 18K miles for my belts, and I think, due to the very critical nature of the item, they would use a very conservative figure to minimize the risk of lawsuits etc. There is little evidence of timing belts faliing and I'd bet a fair amount of $$ that there are many Ducs out there that receive very little maintainence. Heck PhilB did 24K miles on a regular basis so going 18K is pretty conservative.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-29-2006, 11:12 AM

In his service manuals for our bikes, LT Snyde, says our duc's belts deteriorate more quickly than those in cars...mainly because of their proximity to engine heat. That's why he likes to vent his belt covers for a little more leeway in the lifetime of the belts.

I'm following his advice and will change my belts as he recommends. Cheap insurance is always good
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Who is LT Synde? I run my belts uncovered, since I did this, they don't even need re-tensioning!!! (about 10 K km/25 months on the current set. I can also inspect them very easily. Frankly, I would not retension the belts more then once, if they are stretching, that is not a good sign.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 02:41 AM

LT Snyder is the author of service manuals for the 2 valve and 4 valve Ducati bikes. His web site is http://www.desmotimes.com He is a highly respected Ducati mech.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-30-2006, 02:47 AM Thread Starter

I agree with him that they will not last as long as car belts (5 years 60K miles) but my Mazda MX5 has its belt in an enclosed area at the front of the engine between the rad/AC condensor and hot engine, so it gets a lot of heat as well. What does he recommend for Tbelts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode