Valve adjustment problems. Can you help? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Valve adjustment problems. Can you help?

My bike has 7600miles and I don't believe the previous owner did the 6k service. I also have a tapping metal sound coming from what seems to be the valve area on the horizontal cylinder so I believe I gotta adjust my valves.* So I am trying to measure my clearances and I am getting some odd numbers (pretty damn small clearances?).

I first try to measure my vertical cylinder..I align it at TDC and check through the spark plug hole to make sure. On both intake and exhaust I get .06 mm (that's right not inches) for both loaded and unloaded gaps. I'm thinking hmm..ok maybe thats good since there's no difference. Must be the horizontal as I thought.

I then go to meausre my horizontal cylinder at TDC and when I remove the cover to get to my shims, loads of oil empties from the housing. Holy crap! never read about that one so something seems horribly wrong. I'm confused though that the spark plug on the horizontal cylinder shows absolutely no burning oil in the cylinder. Ok so maybe the oil is supposed to be there?

The horizontal clearances BTW are .06 and .05mm for both loaded and unloaded..sooo where is the tapping noise coming from? And good god whats with all the oil??!

Thanks for your help and advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 05:23 PM

Re: Valve adjustment problems. Can you help?

Your difference between loaded and unloaded seems to be too small. That difference is your actual gap of the valve closer. I like to keep them at about 0,05 mm but not less because it gets too hard to measure properly (ducati allows from 0,03 to 0,20 mm for the 2V). Are you sure you are loading the closer with enough pressure? And there are two TDC's on a four stroke, one with open and one with closed valves. Make sure you have the right one! (sorry if this is obvious to you)
The oil is supposed to be there

Ducati ST2 to 944ie FrankenMonster, '96 Monster 600 (sold), '00 Alfa Romeo 156, '74 Series 3 Landrover
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 05:46 PM

The oil puddles in the valve cover & always dumps like that. I try to remember to keep a paper cup handy unless there are people watching when I forget & dump oul all over my tools.

www.hurricanemotorcycles.com
A man that works with his hands is a laborer.
A man that works with his hands & mind is a craftsman.
A man that works with his hands, mind, & heart, is an artist.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

Ahah..well thats a relief! You know the feeling you get when you're doing something new to your ducati and you think you got all your research done...and wham didn't expect that one.

Anyways, yeah I know of the 2 different tdc's but I figured I had the right ones since I aligned the marks a whole handfull of times and only during some were I able to fit my feelers between... but that doesn't mean I'm doing it right* Yeh come to think of it I'll have to give this another try. This time with lights... or outside.. or with a rearstand
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Oh yeah so any hints on the clicking noise? I think it's my valves..but is it? And clicking doesn't indicate anything real bad right? Just want my mind at ease before I get to the valve service.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 08:51 PM

all ducs, and most 4 stroke engines have some tick naturally. Are you sure it is excessive? I can hear my valves at idle easily, even over the clutch and exhuast.

you can run your closer clearance to 0, and I think Chris K even tries to do that. But, your open clearance seems a little small at .05 or .06 mm

http://www.ducatitech.com/2v/maint/adjust/index.html

mitt
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2006, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opwierde
Your difference between loaded and unloaded seems to be too small. That difference is your actual gap of the valve closer. I like to keep them at about 0,05 mm but not less because it gets too hard to measure properly (ducati allows from 0,03* to 0,20 mm for the 2V).
Its easier to get this one right if you remove the belts. What you want is a closer gap smaller than you can measure, but which doesn't cause any binding when you turn the cam over by hand. It's _really_ easy to feel "too tight" closers as you turn the belts over - I found I could "fine tune" the closer shims down to the point where a couple of dozen "laps" of my oilstone made a difference (and I was amused to notice my micrometer shows me the difference between a "warmed up" freshly ground shim, and a cooling down shim!)

big
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 10:04 AM Thread Starter

Hm well the only reason I was asking about the clicking..and decided to do my valves was because my bud's got a '04 620 and It sounds quite different (mine clicking being one amongst a whole list...) But if you guys think its not a problem
Quote:
I can hear my valves at idle easily, even over the clutch and exhuast
Sounds about like mine.

And just as a sanity check for me; about the 2 TDCs I assume I'm gonna measure when the valves are closed and the spring tension is off the closer and that im not gonna be able to fit my gauges between the opener and stem if the valves are open since there's spring tension? I'm mainly asking that since I've got clearance measurements (although small) I should have the right TDC?

Thanks guys. You've all been friggin cool
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 09:20 PM
LA

Hell with all the noise a Ducati makes How do you localize it to valves. But I'll tell you after this last $11ty billion dollar bill for valve "inspection" I hope to never take mine back to the Ducati shop for better or worse. Just for that Mathis thingy.

72 /5 toaster (gone)<br />74 BMW R90S (Pridmore hot rod)<br />80 Ducati 900 SS<br />75 MKIII Norton<br />04 S4R (Bonnie Blue-gone)<br />07 S4RS (The Sleek Black Beauty) Termi kit, W/14t front sprocket
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 01:13 AM

Send a message via AIM to megillet Send a message via Yahoo to megillet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiain
I was amused to notice my micrometer shows me the difference between a "warmed up" freshly ground shim, and a cooling down shim!

big
Me too. I would cool my shims down to a consistent temperature by placing them in my mouth under my tongue for a few seconds. The saliva seemed to get them close to the same temperature every time. Almost burned my tongue a few times though. Just don't swallow them.

Best Mods: Spyball Alarm and a small bumper sticker that reads: "If you value your life as much I value this motorcycle, then DON'T MESS WITH IT!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode