Valve adjustment problems. Can you help? - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 04:56 PM

Hello guys ,I have some questions about valve adjustments ,
I found this tread and decided to subscribe in instead of posting new one.

My bike is 1997 m900 which I bough soon and which I drove for around 40 miles max. before the winter came. Then I decided to change the belts and do the valve adjustment. The exhaust pipe right after the vertical cylinder shines if the engine works on idle for around 4-5 minutes /when it is dark/. A friend of mine said that it is time for valve adjustment.

On the vertical cylinder I measure

Intake opener: 0.003"
Intake closer: 0.006"

The exhaust opener is so tight that I can't stick in even 0.0015".

What I need to do ,take off the opener shim and shave it with sandpaper till get 0.003"-004" clearance? The intake closer is too loose I think ,should be 000"-0.001" from what I read.

The same is with the horizontal head.

I.O. 0.004"
I.C 0.005"

the exhaust opener is too tight ,I can't measure it.

I believe all the measurements I did are correct, I double checked with another engine rotation to TDC. What are my options ,can you help? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-16-2012, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator

First, I don't think you're supposed to do this with the engine hot. Second, your best bet, instead of words, is to either buy this video -- http://store.proitalia.com/desmo-val...d-p-99887.html -- or at least to watch the youtube videos --

PhilB

1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (265,000 miles, killed by minivan 30Oct17) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-17-2012, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philb View Post
First, I don't think you're supposed to do this with the engine hot. Second, your best bet, instead of words, is to either buy this video -- http://store.proitalia.com/desmo-val...d-p-99887.html -- or at least to watch the youtube videos -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIj3nSJGPZw

PhilB
I never said I did the measurements on hot engine. I've been watching the videos on youtube, and I read a lot. I understood the principle of valve adjustment ,but I am confused with the measurements. The openers are good ,but the closers are too loose ,and both exhaust valves are unmeasurable , is this a normal wear, or I am wrong.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-22-2012, 12:23 PM

I can check them now with the belts on but my first couple adjustments it really helped to just take the belt off to check it like in the CA video. Since it need to come off anyway I would try that before you start thinking about adjusting anything.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode