Screw repair on tach - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 12:54 PM Thread Starter

Screw repair on tach

I finally got off my arse and did it: http://www.ducatigirl.com/inventory/tach.html

I figured the worst I could do was destroy the tach and either have to take it to the dealer to fix it or stick a big happy face sticker over it and ride around without a functioning one.

If anybody has any tips on improving my procedure, I can put it on the page. I sort of groped my way through it.

Zina
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 11:31 AM

Re: Screw repair on tach

As long as it doesn't leak, I'd count it as a win

Reason I say that though, is that I developed a leaky speedometer a while back and it got expensive to fix..
Give Pogo a bath and see how your redneck engineering holds up

Hell is empty and all the devils are here.<br />-- Wm. Shakespeare, &quot;The Tempest&quot;
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 11:54 AM

hi zina,
i just did one of these tach jobs about 2 months ago. i did not have to cut the white plastic, if you insert a small blade between the black bezel and the white body, you can pry most of the way and in a few places you will actually have to drive the blade in to seperate the bezel from the body. they use very little glue at the factory and only about every 1/2" is there a dot of glue. reapply glue in same places and you can never tell. i took the same attitude you did, its already#@%&^*# -up so lets give it a try!!!

duc-boy<br /><br />i hate it when my front wheel touches the ground!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 11:56 AM

Nice job! Looks good.
I'd need to be seriously drunk before I'd muster up the courage to cut open my tach.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysfitt
Ducati, making mechanics out of ordinary men since 1926.
HaaHAHAHahAHahah. And women. Resistance is futile.

Zina
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 02:35 PM

Zina - I did the same. It kinda sucks and is a hackjob at best, but its nothing a little glue and electrical tape cant fix. Besides - the unit is hidden inside the gauge cluster.

Its been over a year and no leaks in the tach. I tried to pry the bezel but it was too brittle for me to work with. Did you glue the screws in place to avoid this procedure again?

Adam900<br />2000 Ducati M900ie (SOLD)<br />2002 SV 650 - KIA<br />1981 Moby moped
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 09:35 PM

I also did my tach repair last month, here's the pics

[img width=500 height=375]https://www.ducatimonster.org/ImageFolio3_files/gallery/Misc/_tach_repair0005_1.JPG[/img]

[img width=500 height=374]https://www.ducatimonster.org/ImageFolio3_files/gallery/Misc/_tach_repair0003_1.JPG[/img]

[img width=500 height=374]https://www.ducatimonster.org/ImageFolio3_files/gallery/Misc/_tach_repair0010_1.JPG[/img]

[img width=500 height=375]https://www.ducatimonster.org/ImageFolio3_files/gallery/Misc/_tach_repair0019_1.JPG[/img]

[img width=500 height=374]https://www.ducatimonster.org/ImageFolio3_files/gallery/Misc/_tach_repair0027_1.JPG[/img]
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 08:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdaM900
Did you glue the screws in place to avoid this procedure again?
I don't want to talk about this.

Zina
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 11:25 AM

I'm sure it will be fine. - didnt mean to get you all worked up.

Adam900<br />2000 Ducati M900ie (SOLD)<br />2002 SV 650 - KIA<br />1981 Moby moped
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 11:56 AM

Send a message via AIM to aram Send a message via Yahoo to aram

hey, glad to see this worked out for ya!* looks good!* * and the area at the bottom where the black powder flaked off will just serve to remind you of how futile resistance can be*

(I had similar issues with mine - the face plate screws came off, and the needle would jump around a LOT - took the sucker apart, attached the faceplate screws....used loctite and glued the back of em with hot glue gun to keep em in place....tightened up the brass nuts on the back of the unit to improve the contacts and keep the needle from bouncing......tested it, and everything worked great!....was getting ready to put it back in, and managed to drop the tach on the floor....man, i thought it was fux0red before....)

ah well, used that whole experience as an excuse to get me an SPA tach*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode