exhaust leak - how do I seal it & question on coring stock exhaust - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

exhaust leak - how do I seal it & question on coring stock exhaust

well, I couldn't find anything in the search that helped me much. I've seen discsussions on slight leaks in your exhaust cans, but my cans leak bad. Story; I cored the stock cans by sliding the covers down and cutting off the end. Now that I've put it back together after the coring, it leaks all around the cover. The outer can was never intended to be used to hold exhaust in, the inner can did that - before I took a hacksaw to it. now the question is, how do I seal up this puppy?

2nd question. I have another set of stock exhuast pipes and I was thinking about coring them as well - thinking about not using the ones above and using these. I've taken a different coring route with these - I've drilled the end caps and now I have a honeycomb looking thing in the tail pipe. The outer part of the ring cam out but the issue is that the inner part of the ring is welded to the inner pipe. Can anyone think of a way to get something in there to cut off the pipe and thus getting rid of the ring as well? I have a dremel - but don't have anything in the tool kit to get in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 11:48 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ducrider45
Re: exhaust leak - how do I seal it & question on coring stock exhaust

A dremle tool with the remote extention kit on it and a few heavy duty cuting wheels. It works well. Cut from the inside.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 11:48 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to ducrider45

or use a hack saw and cut through the welds that kold the end cap on and cut through the whole thing this will cut the inner pipe and remove the end cap. Just make sure that you cut straight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 12:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducrider45
or use a hack saw and cut through the welds that kold the end cap on and cut through the whole thing this will cut the inner pipe and remove the end cap. Just make sure that you cut straight.
I did the hacksaw route on the first set of pipes, but now they leak REALLY bad. So I wanted to do with without cutting the inner can. I'll pickup a diamond cutting blade and have a whack at it. Thanks!

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2005, 02:45 PM
Banned

High-temp silicone on the end-cap when you put it back on, should take care of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode