Installing Arrow exhaust on S4R... new exhaust gaskets? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2005, 05:23 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to derby
Installing Arrow exhaust on S4R... new exhaust gaskets?

OK, so I'm planning on doing my install tomorrow. Should I pick up new exhaust gaskets?

[size=10pt]-- derby[/size]<br />[size=7pt]<br />&#039;05 Duc Monster S4R &lt;~~ FOR SALE (click for info)<br /><br />&#039;07 Suz GSX-R750<br />Retired rides: &#039;99 Yam YZF-R1, &#039;98 Hon CBR600F3, &#039;97 Suz GSX-R750, &#039;96 Hon CBR600F3, &#039;94 Hon CBR600F2, &#039;91 Hon Hawk GT, &#039;91 Yam YSR-50, &#039;87 Yam YSR-50<br /><br />click here for info about my avatar<br />[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 12:44 AM
Banned

Re: Installing Arrow exhaust on S4R... new exhaust gaskets?

definitely get the flange gaskets(round ones). when i did mine i had to replace these and i also noticed on the rear the manifold gasket wasn't sealing against the head. checked it and found the head surface was flat and clean but the header was not.i had to use 2 gaskets with exhaust rtv between them to get a good seal. sounds bodgy i know but unless i told you you would never know to look at it.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 07:24 AM

Send a message via AIM to m999s4

those things get brittle as h3ll and are a real bother to try to reuse. yeah... see about getting new ones if you're swapping your headers.

-strati h<br />&quot;never-ending-project-guy&quot;<br />&#039;05 m999s4<br />&#039;06 900ss/cc<br />http://www.ducatipipemod.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 07:59 AM

I've re-used the exhaust gaskets at the head (formed steel ones) a couple times with no problems.

Nick<br />'02 S4 -&nbsp; Testa Rossa Scorta - Cherrybomb Cans..FIM ECU..Barnett basket..SBK Velocity Stacks<br />Mag Marchesinis..3X BrakeTech Iron..Brembo 4-pads..RaceTech G/V's..Ohlins 46PRCS<br />C'Cat Bars..Yoyodyne Slave..CRG L/S's and Black Shorties..Zumo550<br />'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon 900 - 16t front sprocket...Euro blinkers...TKC 80's...OEM W heads&nbsp; :P<br />[size=8pt] Captivated by her beauty | I knew it was my lifelong duty | - Mike Ness[/size]<br />[size=8pt]Flight Motorcycle Corp. Hired Gun.[/size]
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speeddog
I've re-used the exhaust gaskets at the head (formed steel ones) a couple times with no problems.
the arrow exhaust for the s4R doesn't require removing the manifolds from the head so those don't come into play in this case. what derby's referring to are the round gaskets that go between the manifolds and the main header assembly. the s2r/s4r systems don't use a double-slip-fit. they're a single slip-fit which requires those gaskets. and yeah... it sucks trying to reuse them.

-strati h<br />&quot;never-ending-project-guy&quot;<br />&#039;05 m999s4<br />&#039;06 900ss/cc<br />http://www.ducatipipemod.com
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:17 AM

Yeah I need some of those mofos too. I thought I had my arrows set after having them chromexed but the leaks are still there. I got three gaskets from BCM Ducati via Mellimoto but there doesn't seem to be alot of them floating around.......and yes they do get destroyed and are not very resuable. I also ordered some of that new exhaust sealing tape. It seems like an 0-ring settup might work better. I know my old RZ with a banshee motor has o-rings at the exhaust head pipes and they seemed to seal up real well.

Anyway...who has the V-donut gaskets DUCSea??
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_mo
Yeah I need some of those mofos too. I thought I had my arrows set after having them chromexed but the leaks are still there. I got three gaskets from BCM Ducati via Mellimoto but there doesn't seem to be alot of them floating around.......and yes they do get destroyed and are not very resuable. I also ordered some of that new exhaust sealing tape. It seems like an 0-ring settup might work better. I know my old RZ with a banshee motor has o-rings at the exhaust head pipes and they seemed to seal up real well.

Anyway...who has the V-donut gaskets DUCSea??
'til you can find replacements, try a nice smearing of high-temp silicone in the slip-fit. not so much that it gets in the way of flow, but a good amount to fill the gaps. should do well in the meantime.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 01:03 PM

yeah that high temp silicone apparently ain't high temp enough....dried up and flaked away. Maybe the ceramic coated pipes made it worse by holding in more heat at the joint. I was in a pinch the other day with it and actually smeared some JB Weld in the joints and cleaned it off. Thought maybe that would hold me over for a week or two but apparently that too is not high temp enough....burned away like butta......I'm gonna take it apart one more time and hopefully the gaskets aren't destroyed enought to reuse one more time. Somebody on here was reccomending some FMF exhaust tape so I'll give that a try next.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 01:01 AM
Banned

my dealer's parts list didn't list em but we found the st3 ones are the same.and i thought i had to at least loosen the ft. header to slip all the tubing together,but it has been awhile.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2005, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to derby

(only) one of my local dealers has a few in stock but i wasn't able to make it there before they closed tonight so...

..i went ahead and put the exhaust on anyway. =)

no leaks from the rear and a slight one from the front. took the front apart and tried to make sure it sealed a little better when i reassembled.

then i rode.

i'll check it again tomorrow and if it still leaks i'll get a new gasket.

[size=10pt]-- derby[/size]<br />[size=7pt]<br />&#039;05 Duc Monster S4R &lt;~~ FOR SALE (click for info)<br /><br />&#039;07 Suz GSX-R750<br />Retired rides: &#039;99 Yam YZF-R1, &#039;98 Hon CBR600F3, &#039;97 Suz GSX-R750, &#039;96 Hon CBR600F3, &#039;94 Hon CBR600F2, &#039;91 Hon Hawk GT, &#039;91 Yam YSR-50, &#039;87 Yam YSR-50<br /><br />click here for info about my avatar<br />[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode