Alternatives to unavailable or overpriced OEM maintenance/repair parts - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 174 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 11:00 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to CRASH!
Alternatives to unavailable or overpriced OEM maintenance/repair parts

I put out a call a while ago for inputs for a FAQ listing cross references and sources for unavailable or overpriced repair/maintenance parts. I did not get a single input!

This is probably because people tend to find what they need and then forget about it or forget their source. Nick suggested that making a sticky thread for that information might work better. So I want to try it.

Please avoid making this a "where do I get" thread or a rambling discussion thread. Treat it like a FAQ where we independently enter our findings. Sleuthing and debating can be done in separate threads and the brilliantly distilled insights can be posted here

Let's go!

Don<br />North Suburban Boston<br />&quot;You don't always get what you pay for. But you can be sure that you never get what you don't pay for!&quot; -- me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 174 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 11:05 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to CRASH!
Re: Alternatives to unavailable or overpriced OEM maintenance/repair parts

Repair kits for Mikuni mechanical fuel pumps on carbed Monsters:

The DF62-702 repair kit (Mikuni) is for a two-outlet pump, but it works great for our one outlet pump as well. As a bonus, you can really get two rebuilds out of it. It has two diaphrams, four gaskets and two check valves. It's nearly always the diaphram (our pumps have only one and a thick rubber one on the other side that is usually fine) that fails, either by getting to "floppy" or by actually getting torn or perforated. The check valves seem to hold up fine.

The kit costs about $20 and you can get it from at least the following sources:

Sudco (in stock when I called)
www.motorcyclecarbs.com (had to order)
www.carbparts.com (didn't actually try them)

Don<br />North Suburban Boston<br />&quot;You don't always get what you pay for. But you can be sure that you never get what you don't pay for!&quot; -- me
post #3 of 174 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 11:09 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to xsr71x

http://www.users.waitrose.com/~paso/parts.htm

edit: link dead

2001 Monster 900 Dark
-Tail chop
-Clear LED lights
-Open Clutch
-800SS clip-ons
-Third Eye bar end mirrirs
2004 Mazda RX8
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 174 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 12:01 PM

If you are desparate for an oil filter, walmart has them for 8.95. Fram 6019 and are a cross reference to older harley somethings. They are chrome and slightly shorter than the stock/k&n, but they work and fit.
post #5 of 174 (permalink) Old 04-29-2005, 12:26 PM

This is secondhand info, but I heard from someone on the mailing list (think it was Laura?) that the fuel pump filter sock from a Ford Mustang will work in fuel injected bikes.
post #6 of 174 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 11:06 AM

Replacement Headlight Parts

Instead of getting a whole replacement OEM headlight assembly (around $370) if you screw up a part of the headlight, you can replace bits with BMW pieces.* The parts numbers are from a work order at the local shop, so I can't confirm they are exactly correct.**

631212356402 --* rim ($100) Edit: this part no. may not be correct. If it is not, try 63121356402.
63121358147 -- glass/Lense ($25)
63121355396 -- reflector ($95)

I'm not sure what model BMW they are off of (Edit:* I'm informed by s4grrr that the headlight bits are off an R80) and you can prolly land the parts a lot cheaper than above.* If someone knows the BMW model # or can confirm the parts nos. (I'm pretty sure they're right), shoot me a pm and I'll edit the post if necessary.

post #7 of 174 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 11:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to monstertex

Hey, I answered the call even if it was in the form of a question!* Then when I post a follow up, chris starts yelling at me saying I didn't get the right stuff.* Thanks Mark for setting the record straight btw.* Anyways, if you want a Mikuni Pentagon (5 sided for those who ain't real smart, like myself) fuel pump rebuild kit you can give this place a look:

http://www.parkeryamaha.com/index.as...D&ProdID=24329

I had one delivered to my house for less than $20.*

Steve
post #8 of 174 (permalink) Old 05-02-2005, 09:32 PM

These are some part numbers for bearings to suit my '99 M750 that I've personally replaced recently, and some other part numbers I came across while researching them. I've included the Ducati part numbers for cross referencing where possible, and dimensions from the SKF website.

Bearing I know for sure work in my bike:

Front wheel bearings (for 20mm front axle - later bikes run a 25mm axle):
Ducati part # ??.?? - SKF 6204-2RS (20 x 47 x 14)
(the 2RS suffix specifies full contact rubber lip seals both sides)

Cam belt tensioner bearings:
Ducati part # 75166.1238 - SKF 6201-2RS (12 x 32 x 10)

Bearing part numbers I've seen elsewhere on the net but not actually used myself:

(from the ST FAQ: http://www.bike-gizmos.com/DucatiSTFAQ.html ) edit: link dead

Front wheel bearings (for 25mm front axle):
Ducati part # 75132.2566 - SKF 6005-2RS (25 x 47 x 12)

[edit: mangeldbug noticed I originally had these next two mixed up, 6006s are for the wheel bearings, 6005s for the sprocket carrier - big]

[re-edit: I just got a PM from mangeldbug, and he says I had it right originally. He was going off the Ducati parts diagrams, but when he actually had a set of wheels in his hands, the wheels had 6005s and the sprocket carrier had a 6006... So these part numbers are now confirmed as good at least for his '02 M750Sie and the unspecified year 620 who's wheels he's now got]

Rear wheel bearings (for 25mm rear axle):

Ducati part # 75132.2566 - SKF 6005-2RS (25 x 47 x 12)

Sprocket carrier bearings:

Ducati part # 75162.3075 - SKF 6006-2RS (30 x 55 x 13)

Clutch throwout bearing:
Ducati part # 702.5.016.1A - SKF 201-2RS2/LHT23 (12 x 32 x 10)

SKF's website has a good listing of all their bearings with part numbers and dimensions available at:
http://www.skf.com/portal/skf/home/p...g=en&newlink=1
(go to the "Product Tables" link near the bottom of the left hand column)

big
post #9 of 174 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 03:45 AM
dj

You're the MAN Ian. I was just noticing my belt tensioner bearings were getting pretty tight and dragging on the belts. This makes it cheap and easy to replace!

Edit:

Looking at the SKF site, there's two listed bearings for hte belt tensioner. 6201-2RSL & 6201-2RSH. The difference appears to be the speed ratings. The H is rated 0-15k rpm, and the L is rated 5k-26k rpm. Anyone know the range of rpm these bearings run through?

Also, there are two types of bearing for the belts. The needle bearing that's single and wide, and the standard 'doubled-up' bearings. From the dimensions, the above look to be the doubled-up ones. What about the other?
post #10 of 174 (permalink) Old 05-06-2005, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj

Looking at the SKF site, there's two listed bearings for hte belt tensioner. 6201-2RSL & 6201-2RSH. The difference appears to be the speed ratings. The H is rated 0-15k rpm, and the L is rated 5k-26k rpm. Anyone know the range of rpm these bearings run through?
Cams turn at 1/2 the speed the engine, so take your 0-10,000rpm engine range and you have 0-5000rpm cam range. Now measure the cam pulley diameter, and the tensioner pulley diameter. Take the ratio of the diameters multiplied by the cam speed, and that will be speed of the tensiorer pulley. I imagine the 0-15krpm is the right range.

mitt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode