help clearing a 907A title - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 11:40 AM Thread Starter

help clearing a 907A title

i pick up my bike as a 907A new york title. the bike was stolen and recovered just after it was new. the bike has 1500 miles so it is really worth putting back on the road. there was no damage. all i did was put new keys on. i have a plank 907A that is signed be the salvage yard. and i have all the reseats that the DMV wants. how do i clear the title? how much of a pain in the ass is it? what kind of inspection will i have to go though? what kind of title will i get back? i know i should have found out about this before i bought the bike but 4 under $2000 how could i pass that up.
if any one has done this and they have words of advice please let me know.
thanks

hello my first name is distance and i really dont care if i ever wake up agian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 11:49 AM

Re: help clearing a 907A title

surffly: Before approaching the nY titling agency and saying somehting that could potentially commit you to a particular approach, contact a titling service FIRST.

These titling services advertise in the antique, classic, and streetrod magazines, as old cars typically have lost their title somewhere along the way.

What these agencies do is know and understand the titling rules for all 50 states, and they creatively, but legally, use the differences in regulations to first get a valid and clear title in a state with suitable regulations, and then use that to get you a title in your desired state.

The cost varies with the situation, but appears to never run more than maybe $300, and if it solves a problem, or nets you a betetr title, it is probably worth it.

Jim G
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 11:59 AM
Ducatirider

Yep. Good idea. Suggest they do something illegal. Do a google for boyd coddington and see how's he's doing with those title compaines...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 12:12 PM

the bike has to be trailored to the police for inspection and trailored home. the more documentation,the better. you need to find the location from your local DMV. possibly your local pricinct can help.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2005, 02:00 PM
Ducatirider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera

The state of California doesn't truly really care about the year, emissions, etc -- they wanted the tax money for some of the cars he has built over the years.* Given some of the streetrods were $400K projects ($200K typically via customer and rest via sponsors for the project), the question is what was a company writeoff for publicity purposes, "exchange deals" between companies, real cost to build for tax purposes, etc.* California went after the kit car builders and Cobra manufacturers a few years ago -- the street rod industry is very lucrative with very expensive toys now.* Boyd won't be the first nor the last person getting in trouble for this.* His high visibility is what made him the first target for now.* Eventually they will go after the custom motorcycle market also -- I'm sure there are millions of dollars available for tax collection just awaiting to be collected there also...
Actually according to the local paper here (boyd's is in OC as am I) the CA DMV obviously wanted the $$ but they also are going after him for smog violations and safety violations. As these are really new cars he is responsible to meet new car standards with regard to smog and safety. And as a resident of the state if I gotta pay the man then he needs to as well. Boyd was building these cars here and then using these title mills to title them out of State and then re-title them here. He knew exactly what he was doing and he deserves worse then he got. A fine and some community service. That'll learn him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode