Trying to raise ride height, original owner lowered - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Trying to raise ride height, original owner lowered

Hello, I recently bought an S2R 800. Previous owner was a 5'3" woman. She had the bike lowered at the dealer when she bought it. I re-adjusted the suspension pre-load and dampening to stock specs per the manual. This raised the rear a little but it still is too low. So I am looking in the manual and it mentions adjusting the tie rod to raise or lower the rear ride height, however it does not give stock specs like it does for the other suspension adjustments. Does anyone know the stock length of the tie rod? The lock nut is backed up completely so that no threads are showing on the tie rod. Can anyone with a stock suspension tell me how many threads are visible at each end of the tie rod? For reference this is the page in the manual I am referring to.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	212097  

'07 Ducati Monster S2R 800
'05 Triumph Bonneville T100
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2017, 11:03 PM

Garage
Did they perhaps install the low seat for the S2R as well?
It lowers ride height by around 1 inch more.

I have a full size one I'd be prepared to swap if yours is in equally good shape

I seem to recall max height on the height rod being 4 or 5 threads visible max (on each end), though I have the 1000, and I know some of the adjustables weren't on the 800.

Rob.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2017, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

No it is the stock seat on there now. She gave me both the low profile and stock seat when I bought it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-21-2017, 03:42 AM

Garage
there also exists aftermarket "strut rod" things that help with lowering/raising the rear end. not sure if your stocker has been swapped out or not. whatever you do with the rear make sure you also accomodate for in the front. ie: if the fork is dropped down in the triple clamp, make sure you bring it up too or the steering may become twitchy

also, i sent you a PM if you want to move that "low" seat
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 02:10 PM Thread Starter

Updating for anyone else in the future, figured this out a while ago but got busy. Downloaded the factory service manual. No mention of specific measurements on the tie rod other than the maximum length you can adjust it. Per the manual the stock ride height measured from the ground to the rear part of frame is 800mm. Feels much better now that the pre-load, dampening, and ride height are back to stock.
breaddrink likes this.

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 02:16 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stupidwhitecat View Post
Updating for anyone else in the future, figured this out a while ago but got busy. Downloaded the factory service manual. No mention of specific measurements on the tie rod other than the maximum length you can adjust it. Per the manual the stock ride height measured from the ground to the rear part of frame is 800mm. Feels much better now that the pre-load, dampening, and ride height are back to stock.
How much do you think it had been lowered?
Kind of interesting to hear the minimum to max amounts.. I think mine's adjusted as low as it can go, in theory. S2R1000.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-14-2018, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by breaddrink View Post
How much do you think it had been lowered?
Kind of interesting to hear the minimum to max amounts.. I think mine's adjusted as low as it can go, in theory. S2R1000.
It was lowered as much as you could. There were zero threads visible on the tie rod. I did measure it before I started adjusting things. Also kind of interesting is that I recently changed out the stock exhaust to a carbon unit that is much lighter and removing that weight from the rear of the bike raised it up a few more mm from stock.

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

Comparison of stock and low profile seat. Subtle but you can tell a difference when they are side by side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180115_215212_resized.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	212914   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180115_215107_resized.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	212922   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180115_215342_resized.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	212930  

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 03:03 PM

Garage
OP, i sent you another PM. hopefully you get e-mail notifications lol
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2018, 03:12 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmross13 View Post
OP, i sent you another PM. hopefully you get e-mail notifications lol
He was actually willing to sell to me too..
I guess I backed out. Hope he isn't annoyed, but here's my problem..

I can't confirm my current seat isn't a low already as neither mine nor his has the serial on it to tell. He has a second seat with "Tall seat" written on it, so I'm a little hesitant to jump in only to end up with two of the same seat

I'm pretty sure they didn't make an extra tall seat, so.. It's confusing. Is the tall seat he has the OEM size?, and the other a stock 620 monster seat. The so called "low seat"?
All of these usually have serial numbers on them, but mine doesn't and neither does his.

Nyah, it's frustrating. I can't figure out a reliable method for measuring them either. They look almost identical side by side.

Rob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode