Unofficial SoCal Quitting Smoking Thread - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Unofficial SoCal Quitting Smoking Thread

A couple days in, and I'm not diggin' it. :P

Nicotine gum has reduced the impulses to beat inanimate objects with hammers and pull my hair out.
Downside is it scorches my throat and cranks on my stomach.

Anyone with FHE on patches?

Nick<br />'02 S4 -&nbsp; Testa Rossa Scorta - Cherrybomb Cans..FIM ECU..Barnett basket..SBK Velocity Stacks<br />Mag Marchesinis..3X BrakeTech Iron..Brembo 4-pads..RaceTech G/V's..Ohlins 46PRCS<br />C'Cat Bars..Yoyodyne Slave..CRG L/S's and Black Shorties..Zumo550<br />'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon 900 - 16t front sprocket...Euro blinkers...TKC 80's...OEM W heads&nbsp; :P<br />[size=8pt] Captivated by her beauty | I knew it was my lifelong duty | - Mike Ness[/size]<br />[size=8pt]Flight Motorcycle Corp. Hired Gun.[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 04:35 PM
gm2

Re: Unofficial SoCal Quitting Smoking Thread

i know someone here who can tell you about the patch and smoking..
post #3 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

I'm not looking to have the top of my head unscrew and fly into orbit.

But thanks!

Nick<br />'02 S4 -&nbsp; Testa Rossa Scorta - Cherrybomb Cans..FIM ECU..Barnett basket..SBK Velocity Stacks<br />Mag Marchesinis..3X BrakeTech Iron..Brembo 4-pads..RaceTech G/V's..Ohlins 46PRCS<br />C'Cat Bars..Yoyodyne Slave..CRG L/S's and Black Shorties..Zumo550<br />'99 Cagiva Gran Canyon 900 - 16t front sprocket...Euro blinkers...TKC 80's...OEM W heads&nbsp; :P<br />[size=8pt] Captivated by her beauty | I knew it was my lifelong duty | - Mike Ness[/size]<br />[size=8pt]Flight Motorcycle Corp. Hired Gun.[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 04:42 PM

big hug.

congrats on be'n this kind of quitter

&quotethrone the dictaphone, hit it in it&#39;s funny bone, <br />that&#39;s where they expect it least&quot;
post #5 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 04:43 PM

Good for you. Now everyones gonna be on me double time! :P

Patches itch. They help with the chemical, but not the social situation caused cravings (i.e. while drinking, after a meal, what have you) & oral fixation. When I have given the patch a shot before I've carried the mouthpiece from a cigarallo and chewed on that when I got urges. I'm sure gum or candy would work just as well. In the end, _for me_, I've always failed at quitting because of the social or stress based urges...

I've heard good things about Chantix (new hotness) and Wellbutrin (slightly older), but both of those are actually fucking with you brain chemistry and that is a turnoff for lots of folks.

post #6 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqweak
Good for you. Now everyones gonna be on me double time! :P

Patches itch. They help with the chemical, but not the social situation caused cravings (i.e. while drinking, after a meal, what have you) & oral fixation. When I have given the patch a shot before I've carried the mouthpiece from a cigarallo and chewed on that when I got urges. I'm sure gum or candy would work just as well. In the end, _for me_, I've always failed at quitting because of the social or stress based urges...

I've heard good things about Chantix (new hotness) and Wellbutrin (slightly older), but both of those are actually fucking with you brain chemistry and that is a turnoff for lots of folks.

think of the poor lil wheezing wife with elevated heart rate at home..... poor poor lil mags.

&quotethrone the dictaphone, hit it in it&#39;s funny bone, <br />that&#39;s where they expect it least&quot;
post #7 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 04:47 PM

i'm smoking outside right now to spare poor lil mags, so think of poor poor me.
post #8 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 04:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to derby

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqweak

I've heard good things about Chantix (new hotness)...
like the hallucinations and violent behavior?

[size=10pt]-- derby[/size]<br />[size=7pt]<br />&#039;05 Duc Monster S4R &lt;~~ FOR SALE (click for info)<br /><br />&#039;07 Suz GSX-R750<br />Retired rides: &#039;99 Yam YZF-R1, &#039;98 Hon CBR600F3, &#039;97 Suz GSX-R750, &#039;96 Hon CBR600F3, &#039;94 Hon CBR600F2, &#039;91 Hon Hawk GT, &#039;91 Yam YSR-50, &#039;87 Yam YSR-50<br /><br />click here for info about my avatar<br />[/size]
post #9 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 04:51 PM

Nick, I did patches. Twice. They sucked. I had wicked, fucked-ip nightmares, and so wouldn't wear 'em at night. And at the beginning, they overloaded me on nicotine and I felt sick (and I was smokin' a lot!). But then at the end of the day, I still had cravings. Also, every time I went down a level in patch strength, I had cravings all over again. And it didn't do shit for the socialized need to smoke. I felt like it just extended the whole process.

Both times, they worked. But then I picked up a smoke a coupla months later, thinkin' "I'm not addicted now, I can have just one." A short while later, I was smokin' again.

Finally, I just went cold turkey. I didn't even really mean to. I had like two packs at Zeitgeist one night and woke up the next day feeling like I blew Joe Camel. So I didn't smoke that day. Then I figured I just wouldn't smoke the next day. Then the next day, I said, "Meh, I'll smoke tomorrow. Just not today." I kept doin' that. It sucked for a coupla weeks, but it actually worked. Now, everytime I want a smoke, I say that I can have one tomorrow. I never do. That was like 2.5 yrs ago.

Good luck, man.
post #10 of 56 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey
Nick, I did patches. Twice. They sucked. I had wicked, fucked-ip nightmares, and so wouldn't wear 'em at night. And at the beginning, they overloaded me on nicotine and I felt sick (and I was smokin' a lot!). But then at the end of the day, I still had cravings. Also, every time I went down a level in patch strength, I had cravings all over again. And it didn't do shit for the socialized need to smoke. I felt like it just extended the whole process.
That was exactly my experience. The dreams you have with the patch on are just totally fucked up.

Wellbutrin was almost as bad. It just made me want to beat the shit out of everyone I met, kinda the opposite of what it what supposed to do.

Finally, I just cold turkey'd it and it's been about 1.5 years. Once you get past the first 2 weeks, it gets really, pretty easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode