turning right...why does it seem harder?? - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-17-2005, 05:32 PM

Re: turning right...why does it seem harder??

It's the Coriolis Effect.* In Australia, it's easier to turn to the right.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 10:29 PM

I'm a right handed (standard footy surfer) in the states and have a much easier time turning right. I think it's because I do all the steering with the inside hand and when I turn left, my right hand has to still be controlling something, while when I turn right I can do it all with one hand and more or less let go w/ my left hand.

'05 M620
GPR Titanium Oval High Mounts, Open Airbox, 14T, Matris M2 Steering Damper, Sargent Seat, Tommaselli Clip-Ons, Third Eye Mirrors, Pazzo Shorty Levers, Tailchop, emissions removal
MyDucatisti
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-18-2005, 10:56 PM

Send a message via AIM to slowpoke13

I'm left handed. I don't know about easier, but I can get lower and turn tighter to the right. My lefts seem to go a bit wide.

slowpokesan13
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-19-2005, 06:57 PM

Everyone is more comfortable turning one way than the other. Heres a kicker though, you may feel more comfortable one way but actually be better at turning in the other. I "feel " more comfortable turning left, but am faster in right turns! Always have run faster lap times on the same tracks when most of the turns are right then when we run the same track in opposite direction.
What causes it? haven't a clue.
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 10:50 AM

I definitely feel more comfortable turning left at slow speed but at higher speeds I really don't notice the difference. Maybe I suck at both?

Dan
post #16 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-22-2005, 11:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERA#25
Everyone is more comfortable turning one way than the other. Heres a kicker though, you may feel more comfortable one way but actually be better at turning in the other.* I "feel " more comfortable turning left, but am faster in right turns! Always have run faster lap times on the same tracks when most of the turns are right then when we run the same track* in opposite direction.
What causes it? haven't a clue.
totally feel the same way! My uncomfy right turns are so much faster and smoother! my comfy left turns are slow and wobbly!
post #17 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 07:49 AM

I would tell you I find no difference left vs. right. But go measure my chicken stripes and you'll find one on the right only. As I thought about it I realized the problem with aggressive right turns is that you usually can't see around the corner as well as you can on a left hand turn. And I've reached the age where I WILL NOT enter a turn aggressively if I can't see the exit. Too many sand traps, potholes, kids on bicycles, dogs, moose, fallen trees, cellphone addled idiots in Volvo station wagons, etc. to take such a stupid chance.
post #18 of 32 (permalink) Old 08-26-2005, 01:01 PM

Here's my .02 cents.... I am better in left hand turns. Even on the racetrack I find lefts easier. I don't have problems with sweeping rights.... its just tight turns. I always find that my body position is set up better for lefts than right. I would bet it is because I also use the inside bar for turning. Also, since tracks are counter-clockwise in U.S.A. the majority of turns are lefts.... so that's what you get the most practice on. I will drive faster in lefts on the street because I also like to see through the turn before I ride faster.

Now for fuel on the dominant side theory... I am left handed but was forced to do most things right handed. I write and throw a baseball right handed. But anything I tought myself I am left handed. I shoot pool, eat, and brush my teeth left handed. I must have some inner conflict for dominant side. Maybe that's why I find it easiest to go straight. Dave
post #19 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-03-2005, 03:24 AM

Don't know. I started to scrape my exhaust on the right hand side first, took me a circuit day get the left side on the fround also.

Red Monster 1000 sie, model 2003, 102Hp, 119Nm
post #20 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-24-2005, 04:22 PM

Right handers - are LEFT EYE dominant.

You need to look further to the right, to get the left eye to see where you want to go - try it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode