Winter in Australia... South Australia - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Winter in Australia... South Australia

Hi all,

Firstly let me say that I have posted the essence of this thread within the "gear" section but as a relatively new Monster owner living in South Australia. I thought I would also post it in the Aussie section of the site.

So about to enter my first winter on the new bike and need to kit myself out in some proper wet weather or cool weather gear. So I have a shortish length jacket with a liner (DryRider Urban) what is water proof and an old leather jacket. I am thinking of either a pair of leather pants and matching jacket or am I best placed to get some proper wet weather pants and a longer wet weather jacket?

I would great appreciate advice!

Bret
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 05:28 PM

Re: Winter in Australia... South Australia

I have a Dririder Drimesh jacket with the removable liners and it's probably the warmest jacket I've owned. It's not too waterproof though, well in light rain it's waterproof but in heavy rain I get wet guts. I guess I should pull over under shelter when it gets too heavy.

Maybe get yourself a Hurricane wet weather suit and invest in some waterproof gloves. There is nothing worse than riding with cold wet hands in cold wet gloves. Also, buy some thermal liners for your hands if your gloves aren't that warm and one of those things you wear on your neck to keep it warm. I will be doing the same and buying them for this years winter, I've put up with aching freezing fingers and freezing neck for too long!

Does it get that cold in S.A in winter?
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 07:36 PM

Leather isnt waterproof!! You can make it water resistant with leather dressing and stuff, but you are better off with a good lined (goretex) type of pair of pants. I bought a pair from the shop at Phillip Island ($110 from memory, cheap as ) and they also sell on Ebay.
www.bikersgearaustralia.com
The "wet belly" usually isnt the jacket leaking, its the water wicking up the lining as you ride, hard to stop unless you have a full wet suit. I usually give the jacket a dose o 3m waterproofing spray semi regularly as well!!
A cheap option for wet feet are the rubber overboot, around the $25 mark they are a lot cheaper than the $200 plus for the waterproof boots.
And I have a Motoline jacket (Waterproof) with a removable liner which is a beaut.
Gloves are a pain, none are truly waterproof if its gunna piss down.
And of course a "Never fog" visor strip!!

And of course you can go the heated grips, heated vest, heated seat, and heated visor.
But I reckon the poor old Ducs electrickery system would shit itself and you could then warm yourself by the following conflagration.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 07:47 PM

I reckon DUCMONROB should get some of these when he rides his Harley and then he could wear 'em to the Mardi Gras without wearing any jeans underneath!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 220_image.jpg (85.2 KB, 12 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb 220_image.jpg_thumb (90.0 KB, 9 views)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 08:00 PM

When I lived in Melbourne on those cold crisp winter mornings (can't understand why I moved to Queensland ) A good set of waterproof pants over the jeans, over the themalactyl pants, good long jacket, thermalactyl gloves under the normal gauntlets, then japara mittens over the top of that, a throat coat that attached by velcro to the bottom of the helmet and a silk balaclava under the Lid
you end up looking and feeling like the michelin man but at least you'll be a bit more comfortable.

Oh yes, plenty of dubbin on the boots.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-01-2008, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super T.I.B
I reckon DUCMONROB should get some of these when he rides his Harley and then he could wear 'em to the Mardi Gras without wearing any jeans underneath!
Oooooh thweety, just luuuurv those bumless chaps.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super T.I.B
I will put these on my birthday list!

Thanks for the heads up!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 05:39 AM
S4M

What does everyone find more effective - standard leather gloves (also worn in summer) with 'thermal' inners OR a decent pair of winter gloves?

Currently i'm using thermal inners in my standard leather gloves. Have been thinking about getting a pair of winter only gloves - but I don't really want to lose feeling on the handlebars due to the gloves being too thick...

Am in Canberra so it's starting to get pretty cold - mornings will be below 0deg in a few weeks!!!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 05:57 AM

Any more than 1/2 an hour onthe bike in winter and the the summer gloves with thermal inners just didn't work for me, had winter gloves and still needed the thermal inners, warmed hands on the engine while waiting at the lights, but maybe my blood's just a bit thin. Try it out first and see what works for you.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-02-2008, 06:48 AM
nickors

The best thing I have purchased for riding is my icebreaker merino thermals, long sleeve top with "thumb holes" to ensure that the wrists are covered and a seperate pair of leggings. Bar none the best thing.

Re gloves, proper winter gauntlet gloved with gortex, thinsulate etc.. You loose the feel that you get with summer gloves but the hands are warm, even after the gloves are soaked though.

For the wet, I have a cheapo RJays two piece over jacket and pants that work surprisingly well. Oh yeah, and bmw touring boots!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode