Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

what tools should I carry? tire inflation kit?

3K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  mattyvas 
#1 ·
Hello folks,

you may be aware that I'm new to this sport....so onto newbie question no. 127:

What tools should I carry on my big for journeys greater than commuting?

Tire inflation and repair? any brands recommended?

Or should I just join the RACV and carry a mobile...and perhaps the name & number of a towing company if I get stranded? What is the strategy here?

Thanks in advance.

Spider

#2 ·
Spider,

I'm a newbie myself, so can't advise on the tyre inflation kit ???
One thing I have found handy is a multi-tool thingo I got from the local Magnet Mart. Its made by Bahco and has the serial number bke850901 written on it. The tool has:

2,2.5,3,4,5,6 &8mm allen keys
phillips and flat screw driver, 1/4 inch square drive, 8,9 &10 mm sockets. 9,13 and 14 mm spanners. It is well made, fits most stuff on a Duke, and fits in the palm of your hand. [thumbsup]

I think its supposed to be made for pushies, but it works just fine on real bikes too. Comes in its own little nylon pouch as well, and cost me $20. Its the best all-rounder I have seen. Most of the other multi tools for bikes are from the US, and don't have the sort of stuff you need for a Duke, like metric sockets and allen keys etc. Cheers, ducsport

#3 ·
Good advice that is.
I just kitted my tube up that is under my Sargent seat.
Got a repair kit, put my bike tool in, a couple of drivers, spanners, allen keys.
Bought a cheap pushie pump and velcroed it to the frame under seat.
I know it wouldn't be easy pumping but it's just to get you by.

Then there's always the mobile and a friend with a van/trailer....

cheers
Matty...

#4 ·
The Spider said:
...carry a mobile...and...the name & number of a towing company...

that will do, mate. oh, and don't forget a credit card but cash will do too ;) don't **** around with an inflation kit - it's not a pushbike.....who's got patience (and skill) for that?

ooopsie....seems matty has [cheeky] on'ya, champ [thumbsup]

#6 ·
mattyvas said:
Yeah but it's only for when you might be really in a bad way and there ain't any mobile service...
A bloke I work with has a BMW K1200R and the tool kit he has got is like he has a tool chest under his seat! I can't remember everything but I did notice he has those little cylinders of compressed air???, about three of them, and an adaptor that fits onto the valve and spikes the cylinder to inflate the tyre. Plus he has a puncture repair kit to go along with that. I know we don't have the space for everything but I reckon that sounds better than a pushie pump. Now, why didn't we see that in the MOM pics! ;D

#8 ·
One of those multi-tool thingos is really handy, I'm a bit of a minimalist myself but I've got allen keys to fit every bolt on the bike, 8,10,12,14mm spanners, phillips and plain screwdriver, pliers and some cable ties and electrical tape to hold anything together that might break. If on a long tour on your own in the a**hole of nowhere I'd be taking some tyreplugs and a small hand pump as well, there are some nice compact ones available from bicycle shops (as you would know). A couple of clamps and some hose in case you tear out a hose, but not much good without some spare coolant. (water will do in a pinch)
And the chain breaker and spare link is not a bad idea, always used to have it with me on the dirt bike.
And for those worried about straining themselves attempting to pump up a tyre ;) this looks good, available from repco
http://www.slime.com/product_111_Power_Sport_Tire_Inflator_(40001).html

#9 ·
I carry the usual light tool kit and the www.keiti.com tire repair kit with extra gas (uses the same gas as my mountain bike).

And actually got to use it once. Outside a motorcycle shop on late Saturday afternoon and had a flat on the rear. The workshop was shut so one of the guys use the Kit to fit the plug and we wheeled it to a neighbouring engineering shop with a compressor and they pumped it up (saved the gas cylinders).

It worked a treat. Rode for several days until I had the tire replaced (was almost worn out anyway).... So they do work....

Must say watching the guy do the fix (he's done it before) it actually looked quick and easy... [thumbsup]

Goes with me everywhere now...... [thumbsup]

Attachments

#11 ·
Super T.I.B said:
^^^That's the one I was thinking of Trev. Where you buy him farken? ;D
Flywheels for $63.00 ish.

I have extra gas cylinders as I use the same setup for my mountian bike puncture repair kit.... [thumbsup]

You can thank me later Adam..... >:D [cheeky]

#12 ·
Me tube thingy is a bit full don't know if I can get the cylinder jobies onboard.
Put my kit together the day before the last big ride so didn't have the $$$ to spend $200 on such things.
I know my pushie pump doesn't cut the mustard and would be a S.O.B. to use but it was a $20 item as opposed to $70+

<Thread jack> Get ya bike will ya so we can go for a ride.........
Can't you get termi's or Akro's or something else so she can get back on the road.
<end thread jack>

#13 ·
Big T said:
You can thank me later Adam..... >:D [cheeky]
You saucy Minx, don't touch what you can't afford! [laugh]

mattyvas said:
<Thread jack> Get ya bike will ya so we can go for a ride.........
Can't you get termi's or Akro's or something else so she can get back on the road.
<end thread jack>
I never thought of that, well, I thought that last week but I'd say they would have already been ordered. :mad:

I'm f*cken going INSANE :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: without my baby! Gimme a bit of support and hugs. Now, HOPEFULLY, I will have her next week, fingers crossed. Just ordered some CRG Lane Splitter Bar End Mirrors on Wednesday from the states. Insurance pay for him ;D. I don't want to disrespect our board sponsors, but they were $50 cheaper where I got them. Will let everyone know of the website if they come through with the goods. I noticed there Pazzo and CRG levers were incredibly cheap. [thumbsup] I just want to go and ride, it's killing me. :'(

#14 ·
thanks for all this - that canisters (VERY familiar with them - they are $7 btw) looks the goods.

T.I.B = PM or let us know about that place - I'd love some CRG's for the next round of mods!

#15 ·
melvin said:
that will do, mate. oh, and don't forget a credit card but cash will do too ;) don't **** around with an inflation kit - it's not a pushbike.....who's got patience (and skill) for that?
Melvin, before you give up this idea....you do understand that you can buy the bicycle mini pumps in CARBON !!!!!

;D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.