Home Espresso Machines - Page 2 - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 07:44 PM

Re: Home Espresso Machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider
The Silvia is considered by a lot of aficionado's and coffee purists to be the best valuse under $2000 (it is around $700 down under)....after that you go to ECM etc and have it plumbed in.

The matching grinder is great
So ypou've got all the good advice already Joe, I'll just add...

Don't skimp on the grinder. (and _certainly_ don't use preground beans).

Like others have said, the Rocky/Silvia combo is pretty much considered the "standard" home espresso setup - with good beans and once you get used to using it, you'll pretty quickly be making better cappuccinos than 99% of the cafes in the world. That combo will come pretty close to fitting in to your space requirements (if those numbers are critical let me know and I can get them measured up accurately for you).

Also +1 to hanging around on coffeegeek.com for advice (and since you feel free posting up in Oz Monsters, I'll throw in a good word for coffeesnobs.com.au too...)

big (looking forward to hearing reviews of Stumptown, Bluebottle and Rituals latest single origins...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 09:36 PM

Paging GoldFish
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-09-2008, 11:04 PM

Hey Desmo4,
You have come to thr right place for coffee lovers but your mates in the US should be able to assist on locally available coffee makers.
I too had the Rancillio Miss Silvia but sold it last last year as I wanted to go the next step in my coffee geekness....
I now have a Bazzera BZ99 (http://barazi.com.au/content/view/29/129/) and a Mini Mazzer grinder and it is a great unit - I managed to get the Bazzerz on flea bay for less than $1000 so I was pretty happy. If you want really good consistent steam then you need to go up from the Miss Silvia - it is good but it does not give you really good froth unless you get a PID unit for it and generally practice, practice, practice, etc....
Another good site is http://www.coffeesnobs.com.au/ and you can learn what to buy - Generally most of teh good stuff comes via the States so you should be able to source everything cheaper than we can anyway.
I agree with others in that you need to get a good grinder - doser or doserless does not matter, just good. Then you need to find a food local bean roaster and buy your beans there in small amounts (250 - 500 grms) so that you use fresh beans all the time.
Clean your coffee machine regularly and enjoy great coffee every time.
Oh and lastly, treat yourself to a Barista course so that you get to learn what to do and when!
Ciao,
R_usty

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 01:04 AM
Banned

i'm in brissie not sydney, does my opinion still count?? oh stuff it, i don't really care anyway!!!
my wife has a delonghi primadonna, and it makes good coffee! fully automatic too, which is good cause i'm useless in the kitchen.

paul.

post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 02:14 AM

I have tried the primadonna it is ok but it now sits in the garaage gathering dust

If you want the best, I have 2 of them 1 in my office and 1 im my home this is the ultimate if you want true cafe style
look no further its not cheep but IMO its the best

http://www.szcoffeesystem.com/
post #16 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockstrada
this is the ultimate if you want true cafe style
look no further its not cheep but IMO its the best

http://www.szcoffeesystem.com/
See also:

http://www.lamarzocco.it/gs3.html
and
http://www.fivesensescoffee.com.au/s...presso-machine

for the I-just-won-the-lottery" "home" machine options...

(A friend of mine didn't _quite_ manage to convince his wife that the single group GS3 was a *bargain* for only $7000AUD, they _retail_ for $7500US...)

big

post #17 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 04:41 AM

Bloody Hell!
post #18 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 07:06 AM
nickors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super T.I.B
Paging GoldFish
yeah, sorry had to work today

All good advice.

Me, I have an ECM Giotto, and big is 100% right - don't skimp on the grinder...
I've just moved up to a 18g basket for a double shot, and have been seriously toying with the idea of doing a bit of home roasting. It's an addiction in more ways than one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCMONROB
Bloody Hell!
get that man a nescafe
post #19 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 03:02 PM

Hey Goldfish,

That is one great coffee machine you have there

If you get into roasting let us know how you go and I have been toying with the idea as well. And hey, lets have a coffee ride and then tasting at your place!

Ciao,

R_usty
post #20 of 60 (permalink) Old 01-10-2008, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCMONROB
Bloody Hell!
I have found water is actually good for you - don't drink coffee *ducks for cover* so that is the best I could come up with.

I even know the odd bike riders that like the occassional beer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode