ADR interpretation on rear reflectors - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 08:12 PM Thread Starter

ADR interpretation on rear reflectors

The cops up at Mt Glorious this moring doing "license checks" gave me a warning for not having a rear reflector on the bike.

Now I know that there was originally one that hung off the bottom of the number plate board but that got lost along the way somewhere. Given that the tailight lens has a reflector in it I would have thought that sufficient for a rear reflector. not so according to the prick in blue.

Does anyone know what the ADR ruling is on this?

Cheers
Palooka
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 08:27 PM

Re: ADR interpretation on rear reflectors

I'd also be interested to know and also whether anybody has an alternative to the standard part.

Part way throug my first decent trip out on the bike it was pointed out to me that the reflector had been bent 180 deg. and was now facing forward. Knowing I hadn't backed into anything I thought the rear must have thrown something up which bent the reflector. However as I was with a bunch of Ducati people at the time they suggested it may have been the tyre itself which didn't make much sense to me.

Since then I have noticed a number of parked Monsters with the same bent reflector - unattractive and surely no more legal. Any thoughts?
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 09:31 PM

I went through the same thing with another bike so when I got the Monster the first thing I did was make a numberplate bracket that incorporates the original reflector. If it looks standard and has all the right components then your less likely to run into problems. I mounted the number plate under the reflector on my bracket so it looks (I think) standard but neat.
It's really easy to do. Mines' made from 3mm aluminium that I cut with a hacksaw and filed the edges then bent the top in the vice with a rubber mallet.
If anyone's intrested I can scan the template I made and e-mail it to them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00281.JPG (64.2 KB, 336 views)
File Type: jpg DSC00283.JPG (201.3 KB, 209 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb DSC00281.JPG_thumb (139.2 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg_thumb DSC00283.JPG_thumb (105.0 KB, 80 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 09:50 PM Thread Starter

Did you find out what the ADR ruling is on this before you went to the trouble of making your (pretty cool) bracket?

I want to know what the law requires me to do, not what some copper thinks I should do.

Cheers
Palooka
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 09:57 PM

I was told by a mechanic doing a roadworthy on another bike (prolly not very reliable source either) that the vechicle needs to have a rearward facing reflector.

The car has them inbuilt into the tail light assembly but my bike only has a light defuser.

My mate and I were talking to the camera guy at the police blockade on the hill this morning and was told that the cops are running around in unmarked cars with cameras targeting bikes illegally passing cars.
I've been behind one of these vehicles and it was travelling under the speed limit and was very frustrating.
Just another thing to look out for on the roads cause obviously there isn't already enough!
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 01:54 AM

This is interesting, As when I got my new bike a year ago there was no rear reflector fitted.

Anyone else found this

Rob
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 02:09 AM

Why dont you have a look on your respective road authority website ie; RTA in NSW and see if that might reveal anything.

Mmick
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCMONROB
This is interesting, As when I got my new bike a year ago there was no rear reflector fitted.

Anyone else found this

Rob
When I picked my bike up from the dealer after having the Termi's fitted, they had removed the baffles and not supplied the bolts to fit them. The bike was tested and found to be about twice the legal noise limit. I had assumed that they would give you the bike in legal guise and let the owner go from there or at least warn the owner that they had modified the bike so it is no longer legal.

Point is, dealers can muck with the bike and if you don't check, your responsible if you get pulled over.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 11-04-2007, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUCMONROB

Anyone else found this

Rob
After looking at Rowdy's solution I went out to the garage to see what was possible. The Boss' bike (an '02) also has no reflector - as bought. It had not even been prepared/setup to take one.
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 07:21 PM

Palooka we now have to unfortunately fail RWC with no rear reflector the one in your light is not sufficent if the bike came out with a seperate one on the australian market. So sorry. the boys in blue dont have real big knowledge on this but if a Dep. of transport vehicle pull u up $135 and one point the know everything about defect and can pick the smallest thing a mile away. I no fan of this by any means. but i think there view is keeping the death tolls down . Wonder if its working. if u have any further RWC questions contact me asap and i can also give you access to certain RWC litritue and guidlines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode