Anyone else here shoot rifles? Wanting new scope. - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Anyone else here shoot rifles? Wanting new scope.

Just built another MSR. This one is a totally custom build, first time I picked out every single component from bare barrel to firing pin. I've put together several PSA kits but building it entirely from scratch was way more fun.

I've got a couple of Leupold and Vortex already, my Vortex are Crossfire so they could be improved. I'm reasonably satisfied with the Trijicon Accupoint I bought last year for my pig hammer. I built a .308 MSR expressly for knocking over pigs that get made into sausages. Mainly doing this in the dark, long after most people go to bed. As much as I would like to go thermal or night vision I just can't bring myself to spend $4,000 on a quality imager. If you have a suggestion on one of the cheap Sightmark or ATN I'll listen. Battery life and readiness are 2 of my main issues.

I'm thinking about getting another Trijicon Accupoint, something with a larger objective, maybe 50-56mm and a 30mm tube to let in more light.

So yeah I don't play on many forums these days, figured I would ask the people I enjoy the most.

09 Aprilia RS125 plated< NEW info> Now a 144 and back on the road!
06 Paul Smart Sport Classic NFS ever.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
The pink Monster has moved away.
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 04:12 PM

Garage
If night/thermal vision isn't a must the Sig Sauer Sierra3 BDX system looks intriguing. The ability to automatically calculate holdover and windage by doing nothing more than ranging the target seems perfect for this ADHD sufferer.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
Looked at a really nice 5x25/50 Vortex Viper today with 2nd plane focus and light up reticle. It was really nice at $1,000, however the salesman suggested I look for the Vortex Crossfire II AO Hog Hunter for $300-$380. It's supposed to have really bright glass and 56mm objectives.

The Viper was neat with the 2nd focal as it would move the reticle as you dialed up the magnification so that it was always on target. I've not had a 2nd focal plane yet so I'm not totally certain that's how it works or if that's just how he thought it worked.

I also checked out a very cheap Armasight WWZ Gen1 for $400. I'm seriously considering it as a toy. I'm just not certain if I want a magnifier tube or cheap digital if I'm testing out night vision. I'd really like some Flir thermal but just not going that way, ever. I'm almost considering the new ATN Sight 4X Pro for $800 but I just don't know if I want to mess with digital and all the batteries.

97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-05-2019, 08:19 PM

Garage
I'm not sure why you would need that kind of magnification for hogs? Trying to track with that kind of magnification is virtually impossible. And it is FIRST focal plane scopes in which the reticule grows larger with increased magnification. In SFP scope the reticule stays the same size no matter the magnification.

If you have your heart set on night vision save up for Gen 2 or 3, Gen 1 has far too many limitations as far as resolution, angle of view and the necessity of illumination and most Gen 1 is Russian military surplus. Gen 2 is even antiquated at this point as Gen 4 is pretty much the current state of the art we civilians are allowed.

ATN makes 4K available for $650 or less and those systems even record video. I wouldn't jump in just yet if you can stand to wait, Check DSG Arms and Primary Arms for deals.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 08:26 PM

Its not the size of the objective lens that lets more light in, it's the quality of the glass.
A 50mm lens with poor glass will not be as clear as a smaller lens with high quality multi-coated lens.
If money is no object, look at Swarovski.

https://www.swarovskioptik.com/hunti...e-scopes-c2005

They don't serve spaghetti and meatballs in Italy
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
To Geoff, It just appears that the larger objective comes with huge magnification. I run mainly 3-9 and generally don't go more than 4 when I'm out. I'm not really looking for 6-100 magnification, just seems that's how most are made.

Trackdog, as much as I would like Swarovski it's the same issue as spending $4,000-20,000 on a thermal scope.

I don't own any land, I refuse to pay for a lease, a lease is about the only way to get out in Texas as there really isn't any public land in this state, and as a vegetarian non of this is something I cannot live without. I just happened on a deal where I have access to 540 acres, for now. Nothing guaranteed.

Basically I just enjoy being outdoors. I really like being out in nature, if that means once in a while I take a hog, dove, turkey, deer, redfish, black drum, or yellow fin tuna to get the opportunity to be out there and do new and amazing things then I'm in. I'm also fascinated with the entire process of breaking game down into food items. Granted I'm not going to eat them, that's just gross. LOL. However the people I hunt and fish with really appreciate the effort I put in and help them with stocking their freezers.

So I'm not going to be spending $2,500 or more on optics. Unless maybe Steve Rinella calls and says he needs an extra on his show. Steve, call me. Please.

With that in mind I guess I should say that I'm looking for anything nice between $400-1,200. I was visiting Cabelas the other day (I got really good discounts and rebates there, just because) and while I was talking about what I was looking for the counter guy says "you need to find a Vortex Crossfire II Hog Hunter". I found one, wasn't super impressed. I mean I was impressed with what I could get for $300 but meh. I did pick up a Gen1 ATN NV for $100 with illuminator just because it was $100.

Am I wasting money with Trijicon? Should I shop more for Leupold? Any thoughts on Vortex? I do really like the warranty and just general chill attitude from Vortex. Should I save my pennies for NightForce? They seem to be a local hero.

97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:59 PM

Leupold Vari-XII

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 11:24 PM

https://www.natchezss.com/leupold-vx...3-6-matte.html

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Garage
That's a nice price and inline with a lot of the Vortex stuff I've been looking at. I'll try and find one to look through. Thank you for the suggestion. Do you have any experience with this scope? I've got Leupold on my .308 Remington 700 VTR and it is a very nice piece.

97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 09:55 PM

I have one on my Remington 700 chambered in 7mm08.
I would definitely buy another one.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode