Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Best helmet for monster

15K views 26 replies 21 participants last post by  chad11qr 
#1 ·
Hi everyone, any suggestions for eliminating the air force?

#2 ·
You're going to get a million different answers about helmet suggestions.
Honestly, the problem is not the helmet, it's the lack of fairing.
It's a naked sport roadster. You could add a windshield but it will ruin the look.
Although the Monster is fast, it's not the right bike for sustained high speed.

#3 ·
You're going to get a million different answers about helmet suggestions.
Honestly, the problem is not the helmet, it's the lack of fairing.
It's a naked sport roadster. You could add a windshield but it will ruin the look.
Although the Monster is fast, it's not the right bike for sustained high speed.

...and rider dimensions/size...and general riding posture (in conjuction with rider dimenions/size). :smile

Pavle, unfortunately, helmets are kind of a "jack of all trades, master of none" thing, sure, all provide minimum safety for your noggin', all provide a specific airflow, all of them provide a specific aerodynamic, thing is, some of them are better than others when it comes to specific things but none of them excell in everything, for example, one helmet may have better aerodynamics compared to another one but...it may be worse when it comes to ventilation for example, or it might be be heavier, have a worse visor system etc etc...You just have to decide what you need most out of a helmet and then go for it.
For example, if you go for a pure racing helmet (say, an AGV corsa), it will (most probably) provide some good aerodynamic but the noise levels will be high (more air vents seeing as it's a racing helmet).
Also, what i mentioned in the 1st line, it also has to do with rider dimension, a helmet that may work well for one guy might not work well for another one - and i'm talking about riders using the same bike and same helmet.

In other news :

- Don't get an AGV, they're usually shite and over-priced, for the same money you'd spend on an AVERAGE K5 (with graphics) you could get an X-lite for example which are much better usually.

- I'm 1.74 and 78Kg and the Shark Spartan (which i've test-rode) worked really well for me, it was relatively quiet, had a nice, comfy but snug fit and the aeros were good plus no helmet lift-up at high speeds (compared to my Shoei XR-1100 of old), and oh, the inner sun visor is amazing as it covers up most of your face compared to other brand helmets).

- The X-lite X802 was also fantastic (for me) since it was lightweight, had good ergos and ventilation.
It's an older model though so you'd better take a look at the newer one (X-803).
Kind of expensive but you get what you pay for.

Generally speaking though, you should get one that FITS YOUR HEAD well - i can't emphasise this enough and it's the most important aspect since a loose one will shake under high speeds (and won't protect you well in case of a crash) while a very snug/tight one will make your head hurt (obviously) after some time - sure, some helmets take a couple of days to fully "mold"/adjust to your head shape but...a helmet that doesn't fit you well in the shop (i.e: pressure on the forehead or sides/temples) it sure as hell won't get better with time, what you should be looking for is one with a snug but at the same time comfortable fit.DO NOT order one online without trying it on your head first.

Aaaaand that's pretty much it, welcome and have fun with your new 797, cheers :wink

#4 ·
Best helmet for a monster??? ??? That's a pretty stupid question! It's like asking the best helmet for riding a motorcycle. If you don't already have a helmet then why do you have a bike OR you don't have a bike either? Just on here trolling. Choosing a helmet depends on whether you will only city/street ride, highway/suburban ride ride or race the bike. Then choosing a brand and colors you like. :|

#7 ·
oh oh ohhh

ONE THAT FIT !!!

other considerations. ventilation, weight, internal visor or not, quick release visor, D-ring or buckle, do you wear glasses, do you want to look like your friends, do you want to impress your friends, does it clash with your bike, do you want to be seen better, do you want to see better, do you want to roast in the summer heat, do you want to freeze on the cooler nights, whats your head worth?

IMHO. shoei rf-sr is a perfect helmet for an upright bike, so is the aria defiant.
for the highways I wear shoei rf1200 graphic and for city I wear a white shoei hornet without a visor so I dont bake.

#8 · (Edited)
I personally prefer a good looking open face with shield, Used to wear full face years ago, but today the style has gone too far into the weird zone.

Not wanting a debate on the issue but my advice is for open face helmets. If you choose that style.
I always wear face shield for country riding, mainly, really bad experience encountering swarm of bees one day, you can imagine the result.

Some use open face with the studs for clip on shield, Usually crap add on, that lets the wind up your face into eyes, not very pleasant on long rides. never found a clip on shield that was any good.

Currently wear a Bell Riot with shield, very comfortable, very solid flip up or removable shield that is on a par with full face type. No irritating wind up face, eyes etc.

available with stripes or mainly plain colors.
just my personal choice for this style of helmet.

Attachments

#9 ·
Hello everyone …*

I do not “approve” the @ronski suggestion since an open-face helmets is one of most dangerous options …*especially if you'r not riding a scooter but a true bull like the Monster. Full face protection is the way to go.
You could chose a modular helmet, but usually the maker says that you cannot drive with the "front" opened. While, in practice, I've seen many riding safely up to 70/80 km/h.
{without the front "cover" moving at speed}

I'm 170cm tall and I have to say that I am finding the 1200S quite comfortable. I feared that air exposition to be much more annoying than it really is.
If you're gonna drive for some time over straight roads my suggestion is to move back to the saddle and lower the torso slightly. In that position I have made comfortably a 20minutes ride well over the Italian's highway speed's limits.

Exercise and practice will also help maintaining your neck and head ‘safe’ and not feel pain after driving all day.

As for helmets per se the most racing ones – like my HJC R-PHA11 or the X-Lite 803-RR – usually have spoilers that help with the stability at speed … but usually they are a little noisy. For example the Midland BT2 I use with my wife can be used comfortably up to 80/90 km/h and over there's just too much noise.
In that case you can choose more "road"-use models like the HJC RPHA70 (to say) or the Shoei NXR line.

These are my 0,02€

#11 ·
My choice,
Hot as hell here in Aus. 41deg C the other day. T-shirt and shorts as well, or drive a car.
All a bit moot, since the original poster after nearly a month hasn't replied to anyone.
Would love to get to those Italian Alpine roads,
=)

I know what you mean about heat!!! I live > 1200km from those Alps and during summer we have our good dose of heating from the Sun and from African winds. But usually we say better safe than sorry and in case of an incident – I suppose our traffic is a little worse than yours – having long pants, jackets and maybe gloves can help. That's the ratio of my reply.

I meant no attack to you or your ideas … and if I was rude I am sorry !!!!
English is not my primary language and maybe I used wrong words…

#12 ·
I didn't think you were rude, it's all good. many people, including yourself, offered great ideas about helmets.

I just thought to include the possibility that, if considering an open face, and the point of the original post was to keep wind force down. so I pointed out that most clip on shields were not good for stopping wind in face.

Totally agree with you on safety of full face, but at 65 years old, my riding is much more sedate than when a young buck.
Good to know my monster has capabilities beyond mine at present.

i migliori saluti

ps. hope that's correct.

#13 ·
Am I the only one who likes it?

I don't even like listening to music while riding. The bass note of the exhaust.. The whoosh of air as the front wheel comes up..
I feel like I'm riding a freaking dragon. It's fantastic.

But I'm an old man who wears glasses, so I wear a shoei neotec 2, modular :D
It's not as quiet as a single piece, but it's quieter than my previous helmets. That said I can still feel and hear everything, and that's how I want to keep it for now :)

Now if I could figure out early morning lens fogging, I'd be a happy guy.

#17 ·
I have a G-Max modular. You can ride with the front up if you wish, it stays in any position. So does the face shield if you want to leave the chin guard locked down. Metal latches for the face. Comfortable. Replacement face shields are reasonable. Certified in Europe and US. It is aerodynamic, cuts the wind without issue. It makes riding a naked bike much nicer.

#18 ·
I recently picked up the AGV K6 and it’s an amazing helmet. It’s super light weight and has a few vents on top that open up. The cushion inside the helmet, that goes around the crown of your head, feels amazing. The visor is easily interchangeable without any special tools.

That being said. It is a pricey helmet but I believe you get what you pay for.

Cheers,
Alex

#24 ·
My Shoe was lifting off, giving my neck shoulders and back days of pain after fast day rides. I bought an Arai Red Line Ducati helmet, have been on 5 fast day rides; it is fantastic. There are specific helmets suited to naked bikes so you just have to find which one fits you best.

#26 ·
I usually wear a full-face, but today was warm enough to break out my only open face helmet. Took a while get used to the scary feeling that my ugly mug was out there ready to get mangled, but eventually seemed ok. My main observation aside from lessened safety was noticing that pedestrians and other bikers chatted me up at stop lights and such. When I'm wearing a full-face that never happens.

#27 · (Edited)
Arai Red Line ducati helmet is a great choice for sure. I've tried it couple of times, cause my brother own this one. And talking of that, how much resources do you know, where you can read all the necessary information about bikes and clothes or stuff for bikers? I've recently found this url which is maybe one of the most useful sources about biker's stuff and how to choose exactly what you need for different road trips.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.