Advocating for motorcycling's future. - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By philb

post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 11:26 AM Thread Starter

Advocating for motorcycling's future.

In the January 2018 American Motorcyclist magazine there is an article by Scott Harden advocating for motorcycling's future. According to the bio on Mr. Harden, (has enjoyed a nearly 40 year career as one of the world's off road racers. He also compiled an impressive resume of motorcycle industry executive manager positions.) The first two sentences in the article states. The news isn't good. The motorcycle business is in a rut. He states the industry is suffering at almost every level. As I read the article I kept thinking of a song by the Rolling Stones, Doom and Gloom. He is advocating we as motorcyclist should help save the industry. He lists ten things we as motorcyclist should do. They are.1. Share your passion with others. Expose non friends to our sport. 2.Attend an event. Invite a non motorcyclist friend to an event. 3.Take a friend for a ride. 4. Teach a friend to ride. (I know this issue raises all sorts of issues, but many enthusiasts-like myself have enough property and small displacement bikes to teach people to ride.) 5. Invite your non motorcycle friends to dinner or a movie. He suggests The World's Fastest Indian. 6. Share the experience. Talk positive about riding etc. 7.Invite non motorcycle friends to go camping. 8. Visit your local motorcycle dealer and invite a non motorcyclist's to tag along. 9. Target Social media. Share info and photos about rides. 10. Reach out to millennials.
What do you think about Mr. Harden idea of advocating for motorcycling's future? I do one, three, six and nine. Not really trying to save the industry just conversation and accommodating someone's desire to take a ride. If you want to read Mr. Harden article it can be found on the AMA web site. www.americanmotorcyclist.com

Bud

Ride as often as you can.
Bud
Main bike 2013 20th Anniversary EVO (192). Other bike 2001 Triumph Bonnie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 02:45 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Can you ask Mr Harden to afford me more time off from work, and more quality time at that? If only my 40 hours were just that. Being in a company vehicle keeps me out 60-70 hours a week, often times 1 weekend day each weekend as well. Can Mr Harden please please do something to help mitigate the traffic woes of city life? If only riding motorcycles in traffic were as enjoyable as it was 10-20 years ago for me. Now it's bumper to bumper, distracted driving, entitled Cadillac/Mercedes SUV driving cunts/douchebags that don't mind a bit cutting you off or trying to squeeze me out my lane.

I keep purchasing more motorcycles but I ride less and less every year. 15 years ago motorcycles were my only transportation. Not only that, I rode a 1972 Norton Commando as my daily ride, approximately 18,000 miles a year! Talk about self abuse and I told people I actually enjoyed it. I would wax on and on for hours about why I preferred drum brakes and carburetors to disc and EFI. Now I buy brand new machines and just maintain them sitting idle in my garage. I probably ride less than 2,000 miles a year.

I no longer have the desire to ride locally for all my errands like I used to. I also am less and less compelled to drag a machine out for quick errands being as that I never know when I'll actually be home from work every night. Now I stop and get what I need on the way home and then stay inside. My free time is more precious than ever and hopping on a bike to ride out a couple hundred miles, camp, and then ride home makes me feel like I am putting off other chores or hobbies that I could be doing as well. My local shops have seen it at their registers. I used to purchase a new helmet and gloves annually and a new jacket every other year. Now my gear lasts years and years.

I wish there were a good answer to the problem. I'm holding onto the bikes I've bought in the last 7 years hoping they will be "future classics" and I'll spend my retirement years riding them with more free time. Well that is if all the electronic crap holds up.

09 Aprilia RS125 plated< NEW info> Now a 144 and back on the road!
06 Paul Smart Sport Classic NFS ever.
08 S4RS Tricolore #081 NFS ever.
The pink Monster has moved away.
97 900SS CR
72 Norton Commando 750
03 KX60 with S4R rear shock,Honda CB350F, Hodaka Ace90, 3x Yam-YGS1, Yam-CS3 200, Vespa small frame, Gilera 106, Puch Sabre, Puch 50 Boy Racer, Benelli 250, Benelli 360, Honda CB350T, and many more.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2018, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

I think those are all good ideas, and we should all do as many of them as we can fit in. It may or may not be enough to save the sport, but I think it is worth doing what we can. I do, or have done, all of those.

I also would add to start with our own. If we ride, but don't think it's a good enough idea to encourage (or for some people, even allow) our family members to take up the practice, motorcycling will die out. It will become like attending the symphony -- small gatherings of old people, who will take it with them when they die.

My wife and daughter ride their own bikes. There's little better than a family ride together.

PhilB
BudDaytonMon likes this.

1993 Ducati M900 Monster "Patina" (265,000 miles, killed by minivan 30Oct17) -- 1995 Ducati M900 (wife's bike) -- 1979 Vespa P200 (daughter's scoot) -- 1964 Vespa GS160 (160cc 2-stroke) -- 1962 Maicoletta scooter (275cc 2-stroke) -- 1960 Heinkel Tourist 103A1 scooter "Elroy" (175cc 4-stroke)
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 03:59 PM

My addiction to motorcycling is so hard, that I don't see it dying. Maybe prices are too high on big bikes that they aren't selling enough and the small bikes don't make a large enough profit.

They make bikes for every type of person and riding style. There's probably a saturation in the market. Maybe the stats we should be looking at is per capita population of motorcycle license holders and compare it to previous years. If it's the same or higher, then the problem is supply and demand.

Last edited by 1UglyBastard; 01-03-2018 at 04:14 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-14-2018, 10:52 AM

Garage
The 30 year olds that should be buying bikes have staggering college loans, they can't even buy a house in many cases. Motorcycles are being purchased more by the 60+ year olds (myself included) that have the disposable income and may have time to ride. Often times it's ownership of multiple bikes (myself included). You also have an entire generation that's gotten their thrills virtually with an Xbox or playstation. Your state and local governments typically provide little to no expense breaks in licensing a motorcycle instead of a car. I don't see the industry being saved by the current group of potential buyers.

The motorcycle industry could do themselves a favor and try advertising once and a while. I typically see NO ads on TV for motorcycles. Let the potential buyers know you have affordable bikes, reasonable interest rates to buy them, and give them a feel for the fun involved in riding. Cater the ads to new buyers that may be intimidated walking into a dealership to look around. And for God sake, tell your dealerships to cater their sales and service support to the buyer, not the other way around. The potential group of buyers are less and less do-it-yourselfers. Provide service to the customer as well as the motorcycle. Be approachable and welcoming, it's not some secret club they need to know the password to in order to get the 10,000 mile service done.

2017 Ducati Monster 797
2016 Yamaha FJR1300

Last edited by Luca Brasi; 02-14-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode