|Topic Review (Newest First)|
|04-27-2018 07:29 PM|
|skinned knuckles||Belt change 1st|
|04-27-2018 04:54 PM|
|Mustangs6551||In the future, I'm going to add some S2R style striping, and I'm thinking about putting on Arrow high mount slip ons.|
|04-27-2018 04:52 PM|
This is awesome stuff Calamari, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with a thing for de-squidding old Monsters! Mine wasn't in such bad condition, but had a bunch of annoying little tid bits put on by the PO before PO, a lot of which lowered quality of life.
Stuff I change includes:
Mirrors: ridiculous aftermarket mirrors that were adjustable on 3 different pivot points. Crappy anodized aluminum that might have once been red but now faded pink. They were worn and didn't hold the position you placed them in, and one was broke from a parking lot drop. I replaced them with some general purpose mirrors advertised as for use on an enduro. From a distance they're similar to stock. Close enough.
Open clutch cover: Some people like these, but I don't like the look, it makes the dry clutch noisier, and I think they're not as safe. Replaced with $30 OEM cover from ebay.
Clip ons: As installed they definitely screwed with the steering geometry since they raised the tubes up the triple tree to attach the clip-ons above the tree. Made the bike handle heavy. Stock hardware was saved so I suspended the front of the bike from the rafters, and put it back to normal.
Tail chop: I'm going to do a write up on how I reversed this. I actually prefer the bike stock, I like the beer tray. I might have left it alone, but the way it was installed involved some "fabricated" mounts for the tail lights and turn indicators. The fabrication was really shoddy. And the position they installed the license plate made it rub against the wheel. I built a new bracket in the interim that I rode with until I finished the tail restoration two days ago. Now it's got the beer tray back on ($40 I think off ebay & $50 to the welder to throw some tube intserts together).
Led lighting: Terrible, just terrible wiring. They put in a kit that turned the stock tail light into an integrated turn signal unit which induced some small blinkers on the sides for legal purposes I guess. Either way it was all junk, none of it properly reflected, and it just wasn't very bright. I'm all about managing acceptable risk (see clutch cover above) and this seem unnesssary. Neither signal worked properly anyway so I basically gutted everything they put in down to the stock wiring. I got some stock 2000+ turn signals off ebay that latter ended up on the tail restore. Luckily they'd retained the hardware for the original tail light so that was free.
Bike also desperately needed a new clutch when I bought it.
|04-03-2018 09:21 AM|
|camufix||Very good job indeed!!|
|03-31-2018 06:37 PM|
|Mostro di Calamari||Finally got a sunny day for a sunny bike! Rides great! Awesome all around bike as well! Finally got a chance to dial in the idle as well! YAY! Haha|
|03-31-2018 10:56 AM|
|Mostro di Calamari||
Originally Posted by NYC_Monster_696 View Post
Most nicer days I've been able to get out have always been overcast so haven't been able to get a good out in the wild photo since adding the CF front fender and the front fairing. Def want to get a few cool pics to post. There's an old gas station way out in the country that looks like it's still in the 70's I'd like to get some pics at. Would be perfect for the CB750 and I bet the Monster would look great there too.
|03-31-2018 12:40 AM|
|NYC_Monster_696||that is an impressive restoration, or as you call it preservation!! I think I was just as excited as you throughout the whole process! You made it seem too easy, like this just an everyday thing. How's the Monster riding so far? There have definitely been some good riding days since your last post.|
|03-03-2018 02:54 PM|
|Mostro di Calamari||
Removed pumpkin orange fairing stripes. The stripes were under clear so the surface was uneven where they were. Sprayed fairing with filler primer and sanded down to remove imperfections. Repeated when necessary. Got it very smooth and uniform. No more scuffs or scratches and the low spots from the stripes were filled in.
Tried something different for the matte finish. Bumper paint. Liked the sheen and appeared uniform. Well it's loaded with solvent, or at least that can was, and it dissolved the primer. Wasn't happy. Had to spray the whole thing with CitriStrip and start over. Don't use bumper paint on anything not a bumper! Haha
Simply stripped it and sprayed again with primer. Wasn't concerned about the imperfections any longer. Ended up using DupliColor Low Gloss DE1634 engine paint. Can't go wrong with it. The finish will ALWAYS be uniform unlike some matte paints where you get alternate levels of gloss. Has ceramic in it and has an interesting sheen. Oil and chemical resistant as well so would be good for a tank if looking to go matte. Can also sort of see ghost stripes where they were and fits with the dash of Mad Max theme.
Fairing now goes WAY better with the rest of bike. Liking it!
|03-01-2018 12:27 AM|
|Mostro di Calamari||
Originally Posted by JTP View Post
|02-28-2018 11:12 PM|
|JTP||incredible build! your skills are so impressive as well, holy...|
|This thread has more than 10 replies. Click here to review the whole thread.|