M1200S Front cylinder power loss. - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Buhgaboo
  • 1 Post By kwakman
  • 1 Post By Buhgaboo
  • 1 Post By kwakman
  • 1 Post By kwakman
  • 1 Post By kwakman

post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 06:46 PM Thread Starter

Garage
M1200S Front cylinder power loss.

So here's my problem...

2014 M1200S with 24,000KM on the odom.

Everything works well... until I hit the power on hard (say to pass on highway).. the front cylinder then stops providing power... runs like a one cylinder thumper. She can still power me off to a safe location but not happily. I know it's the front cylinder because I've check a few time the heat from the headers and the front is always colder then the rear.

I stop, kill switch the engine, wait 3 seconds, press start and she purrs back to life with both cylinders like nothing is wrong.

Doesn't happen all the time, but it started this late this spring. First time I noticed was when I just rolled into the parking lot at work, no hard pull being done. Second time was on highway when trying to over take, then I really knew something was wrong because I lost significant power. It has happened about a total of 6 to 8 times, she's my daily driver to get to work. Out of all the times it happened the check engine light has appeared about 3 times. Of the 3 times, I only saw the dash spit out a code once and it didn't stay on for long (and yes I didn't memorize it).

Asking some mechanic friends and biker friends, most said it sounded like a coil issue. Research online has provided very little info for the M1200S dropping the front cylinder compared to older models of the monster because of coil issues, but the logic to the problem was sound.

So I replaced the coils with a used set from a 2017 M1200S hoping this would solve the problem.... sadly it hasn't. Rode a week with no issues until today. Both coil rails gave almost the identical Ohms when tested. I have yet to test the cables but pulling the bike apart is a longer job I currently have time for seeing that I use the bike daily.

I've pulled 2 of the 4 plugs (side plugs) to check their gaps, one was at 0.86mm the other 0.91mm so within spec. I've ordered 4 new plugs regardless, even if the plugs are rated to 50K miles. https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9900

But I really don't believe this will cure the problem as it doesn't have logic to be the cause, because the issue is intermittent and I don't think 2 plugs would fail on the same cylinder.

I've got the shop and parts manuals and have been racking my brain as to what would cause an intermittent problem such as this. I'm still thinking it's an electrical issue, as fuel or air would just to me not be as intermittent... so either the injector or ECU (seriously hope not). So far searches on both have provided nothing.

And yes I do plan on going to the dealer and having the codes pulled, but thought I'd throw this puzzle onto the forum to see if others might have some ideas of what to check.

Thanks for any help.

----------------

Eastcoast Ducati Hoodlum.
Ride: 2014 M1200S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwakman View Post
So here's my problem...

2014 M1200S with 24,000KM on the odom.

Everything works well... until I hit the power on hard (say to pass on highway).. the front cylinder then stops providing power... runs like a one cylinder thumper. She can still power me off to a safe location but not happily. I know it's the front cylinder because I've check a few time the heat from the headers and the front is always colder then the rear.

I stop, kill switch the engine, wait 3 seconds, press start and she purrs back to life with both cylinders like nothing is wrong.

Doesn't happen all the time, but it started this late this spring. First time I noticed was when I just rolled into the parking lot at work, no hard pull being done. Second time was on highway when trying to over take, then I really knew something was wrong because I lost significant power. It has happened about a total of 6 to 8 times, she's my daily driver to get to work. Out of all the times it happened the check engine light has appeared about 3 times. Of the 3 times, I only saw the dash spit out a code once and it didn't stay on for long (and yes I didn't memorize it).

Asking some mechanic friends and biker friends, most said it sounded like a coil issue. Research online has provided very little info for the M1200S dropping the front cylinder compared to older models of the monster because of coil issues, but the logic to the problem was sound.

So I replaced the coils with a used set from a 2017 M1200S hoping this would solve the problem.... sadly it hasn't. Rode a week with no issues until today. Both coil rails gave almost the identical Ohms when tested. I have yet to test the cables but pulling the bike apart is a longer job I currently have time for seeing that I use the bike daily.

I've pulled 2 of the 4 plugs (side plugs) to check their gaps, one was at 0.86mm the other 0.91mm so within spec. I've ordered 4 new plugs regardless, even if the plugs are rated to 50K miles. https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=9900

But I really don't believe this will cure the problem as it doesn't have logic to be the cause, because the issue is intermittent and I don't think 2 plugs would fail on the same cylinder.

I've got the shop and parts manuals and have been racking my brain as to what would cause an intermittent problem such as this. I'm still thinking it's an electrical issue, as fuel or air would just to me not be as intermittent... so either the injector or ECU (seriously hope not). So far searches on both have provided nothing.

And yes I do plan on going to the dealer and having the codes pulled, but thought I'd throw this puzzle onto the forum to see if others might have some ideas of what to check.

Thanks for any help.
I'd double check the horizontal plug wire is routed behind the secondary air hose...if it isn't the fan will cut it...had this problem on my m821...it was pretty obvious but you have dual spark...might help hide it...check the plug wire for starters

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
kwakman likes this.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks Buhgaboo, looks like I'm pulling the tank tomorrow.
Buhgaboo likes this.

----------------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-17-2019, 07:36 PM

Garage
Quote:
Thanks Buhgaboo, looks like I'm pulling the tank tomorrow.
This plug is just behind the radiator...you should be able to see 1 that it's behind the secondary air line and 2 trace the line with your fingers looking for breaks

kwakman likes this.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 06:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Buhgaboo.... this look familiar.

Thanks a million. Next cable will be covered with loom to protect it from the sharp edges of the fan shroud. C'mon Ducati... such an amateur thing to cause.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190828_190854.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	220492  
Buhgaboo likes this.

----------------

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2019, 08:50 PM

Garage
Quote:
Buhgaboo.... this look familiar.

Thanks a million. Next cable will be covered with loom to protect it from the sharp edges of the fan shroud. C'mon Ducati... such an amateur thing to cause.
You should be ok without it...just be certain it's routed behind the secondary air line...it's so natural to put it in front of it...and for real...who would have thought the fan could saw through anything....palm to face

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 11:01 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhgaboo View Post
You should be ok without it...just be certain it's routed behind the secondary air line...it's so natural to put it in front of it...and for real...who would have thought the fan could saw through anything....palm to face

Should be doesn't make me confortable... OCD.. lol... A quick rub of some sand paper to brake the edge off the fan will also help.

Was going to oder the plug but the local dealer has to order it direct from Bologna and said it's a 12 day wait min. On top of the $70 Can pesos for it, so I told them to forget it. I would of easily paid the $70 if the delay was reasonable, but I'm not waiting 12 days during some of the best riding weather of the year. Looked around to just change out the cable itself and reuse the boots, but that's not so easy. So I'll do the old silicon on the wire to stop the voltage leak and order the part over the winter.

I hate dealers. Thanks again for all the help.
Buhgaboo likes this.

----------------

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-31-2019, 11:25 PM

Garage
Quote:
Should be doesn't make me confortable... OCD.. lol... A quick rub of some sand paper to brake the edge off the fan will also help.

Was going to oder the plug but the local dealer has to order it direct from Bologna and said it's a 12 day wait min. On top of the $70 Can pesos for it, so I told them to forget it. I would of easily paid the $70 if the delay was reasonable, but I'm not waiting 12 days during some of the best riding weather of the year. Looked around to just change out the cable itself and reuse the boots, but that's not so easy. So I'll do the old silicon on the wire to stop the voltage leak and order the part over the winter.

I hate dealers. Thanks again for all the help.
I'd still order the part....but try flooding the cut with silicone and wrapping it with tape...the problem only exists when it's exposed...another thought is to move the other plug wire to there...the second wire is more or less for efficiency ..my 821 only uses the one ...just some thoughts...I hate waiting on dealer parts and typically buy everything over seas because it's half the cost but can also be twice the wait. .but not always ...especially with a large order...I can beat my dealer on parts typically if the order is big enough.... nonetheless...you need a new plug wire ...try taping it so it doesn't expose the bare wire...or swapping the side wire for the top... honestly I'm not familiar enough with the 1200 but my 821 only acted up when things were warmed up and good and flexible...look closely...it's the silicone efi sheathing that's cut...the cable is stainless cable...no plastic fan blade is going through that....but exposing it to the air is catastrophic...try putting it under compression and tape it until the new one arrives

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-01-2019, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buhgaboo View Post
I'd still order the part....but try flooding the cut with silicone and wrapping it with tape...the problem only exists when it's exposed...another thought is to move the other plug wire to there...the second wire is more or less for efficiency ..my 821 only uses the one ...just some thoughts...I hate waiting on dealer parts and typically buy everything over seas because it's half the cost but can also be twice the wait. .but not always ...especially with a large order...I can beat my dealer on parts typically if the order is big enough.... nonetheless...you need a new plug wire ...try taping it so it doesn't expose the bare wire...or swapping the side wire for the top... honestly I'm not familiar enough with the 1200 but my 821 only acted up when things were warmed up and good and flexible...look closely...it's the silicone efi sheathing that's cut...the cable is stainless cable...no plastic fan blade is going through that....but exposing it to the air is catastrophic...try putting it under compression and tape it until the new one arrives

Already done. I had some high temp RTV silicone laying around from another project that I used on the cable, then I put a piece of silicon loom over the cut to protect it more.

Unfortunately the cables aren't interchangeable. The secondary or side plug cable has a standard boot and is also shorter than the main cable. I actually performed the same repaire to it as the cable was rubbing on the water pump filter and wore a flat spot on the cable (see pic). So far the repairs seems to be holding.

I will order a new cable... but only once she's hibernating for the winter. I'm actually trying to find a set of performance cables as this whole experience has made me realize how unimpressive the stock cables and boots are.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190901_113430.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	220506

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Buhgaboo likes this.

----------------

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode