Mushy rear brake even after bleeding. - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By DenverKirk

post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-16-2019, 11:49 PM Thread Starter

Mushy rear brake even after bleeding.

Hi guys,

As you can see from the title, the my rear brake on my Monster 821 has no stopping power. This is my first bike and I have never worked on a motorcycle before, except for maintaining the chain. The brake pedal goes to the bottom of the travel and does nothing, like literally nothing, I can move the bike with the brake pedal pressed all the way to the bottom. So I watched couple of youtube videos on "How to bleed motorcycle brakes" and bleed the brake as suggested in the videos and the service manual, there were no bubbles after using almost half of the brake fluid from a brand new castrol DOT 4 brake fluid. Even after doing this, it didn't change anything. Do you think I did not bleed the brakes correctly or is there issue I should look at?.

Thank you.

Last edited by manoj517; 04-16-2019 at 11:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 11:32 AM

Did you removed the rear brake caliber? The bleeding nozzle is on the bottom of the caliper, the caliper has to be turned upside down for the air to come out.

Is the bike ABS?? I had the same problem here is what I did...the wrong way first and then the right way haha.

1) Removed Caliper and turned upside down
2) Bleed brake normally.
3) Replace

This worked only a little bit, and then got mushy again.

The right way

1) Ride the bike and brake hard to engage ABS
2) Turn off the bike with the kill switch but leave the key turned on (This keeps the ABS system on)
2) Bleed brake normally.
3) Replace

I repeated this process 4 times, there was a LOT of air in the lines. Back brake works great now!
manoj517 likes this.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverKirk View Post
Did you removed the rear brake caliber? The bleeding nozzle is on the bottom of the caliper, the caliper has to be turned upside down for the air to come out.

Is the bike ABS?? I had the same problem here is what I did...the wrong way first and then the right way haha.

2) Bleed brake normally.

3) Replace

This worked only a little bit, and then got mushy again.

The right way

1) Ride the bike and brake hard to engage ABS

2) Turn off the bike with the kill switch but leave the key turned on (This keeps the ABS system on)

2) Bleed brake normally.

3) Replace

I repeated this process 4 times, there was a LOT of air in the lines. Back brake works great now!
Thanks for the reply DenverKirk. Sorry for the late reply, I had an accident and broke my right thumb while renovating the deck. It's sad that this happened right before the riding season, looks like I won't be riding for another 4-6 weeks. I'll definitely try to bleed it again as you suggested with callipers off and see if that makes any difference. And yes the bike has ABS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2019, 11:19 AM

Bummer about the thumb. On my monster I had good luck taking the caliper off the rotor and raising it above the rotor in all sorts of directions while bleeding
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:15 PM

I also had 0 rear brake. Bled front and rear with almost no air, went for a quick jaunt to warm up for an oil change; STILL no rear brake. Pulled off the caliper and positioned it on the swingarm with bleed valve straight up...... SO MUCH AIR!!!!! Had to cycle through 6-7 times to get it clean (and keep filling the thimble of a reservoir. LOL) Now I've got full-stop worthy rear brake again. Thanks to those that have reco'd this fix!

2011 Monster 796- Pearl White
Custom painted #81 Bikini Fairing (removed)
Motodemic HL Conversion w/ Evo2 LED HL
Arrow Slip-Ons- Black w/ Carbon Tips
Rizoma Bars & Clamps- Black
Powdercoated Top Triple
Pazzo Shorty Levers- "Limited Ed" White w/ Red Adjs
Driven D3 Grips- Red
Bar End Mirrors- Red
Atomic Fender Eliminator
Motodynamics LED tail light w/ Integrated Signals
Barracuda Idea front LED Signals
14T front sproket
Sargent Seat
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL's Monster796 View Post
I also had 0 rear brake. Bled front and rear with almost no air, went for a quick jaunt to warm up for an oil change; STILL no rear brake. Pulled off the caliper and positioned it on the swingarm with bleed valve straight up...... SO MUCH AIR!!!!! Had to cycle through 6-7 times to get it clean (and keep filling the thimble of a reservoir. LOL) Now I've got full-stop worthy rear brake again. Thanks to those that have reco'd this fix!
Glad it helped!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode