Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/)
-   Maintenance & Repair (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/maintenance-repair/)
-   -   Mushy rear brake even after bleeding. (https://www.ducatimonster.org/forums/maintenance-repair/355016-mushy-rear-brake-even-after-bleeding.html)

manoj517 04-16-2019 11:49 PM

Mushy rear brake even after bleeding.

Hi guys,

As you can see from the title, the my rear brake on my Monster 821 has no stopping power. This is my first bike and I have never worked on a motorcycle before, except for maintaining the chain. The brake pedal goes to the bottom of the travel and does nothing, like literally nothing, I can move the bike with the brake pedal pressed all the way to the bottom. So I watched couple of youtube videos on "How to bleed motorcycle brakes" and bleed the brake as suggested in the videos and the service manual, there were no bubbles after using almost half of the brake fluid from a brand new castrol DOT 4 brake fluid. Even after doing this, it didn't change anything. Do you think I did not bleed the brakes correctly or is there issue I should look at?.

Thank you.

DenverKirk 04-17-2019 11:32 AM

Did you removed the rear brake caliber? The bleeding nozzle is on the bottom of the caliper, the caliper has to be turned upside down for the air to come out.

Is the bike ABS?? I had the same problem here is what I did...the wrong way first and then the right way haha.

1) Removed Caliper and turned upside down
2) Bleed brake normally.
3) Replace

This worked only a little bit, and then got mushy again.

The right way

1) Ride the bike and brake hard to engage ABS
2) Turn off the bike with the kill switch but leave the key turned on (This keeps the ABS system on)
2) Bleed brake normally.
3) Replace

I repeated this process 4 times, there was a LOT of air in the lines. Back brake works great now!

manoj517 04-22-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DenverKirk (Post 3163816)
Did you removed the rear brake caliber? The bleeding nozzle is on the bottom of the caliper, the caliper has to be turned upside down for the air to come out.

Is the bike ABS?? I had the same problem here is what I did...the wrong way first and then the right way haha.

2) Bleed brake normally.

3) Replace

This worked only a little bit, and then got mushy again.

The right way

1) Ride the bike and brake hard to engage ABS

2) Turn off the bike with the kill switch but leave the key turned on (This keeps the ABS system on)

2) Bleed brake normally.

3) Replace

I repeated this process 4 times, there was a LOT of air in the lines. Back brake works great now!

Thanks for the reply DenverKirk. Sorry for the late reply, I had an accident and broke my right thumb while renovating the deck. It's sad that this happened right before the riding season, looks like I won't be riding for another 4-6 weeks. I'll definitely try to bleed it again as you suggested with callipers off and see if that makes any difference. And yes the bike has ABS.

brancky3 04-22-2019 11:19 AM

Bummer about the thumb. On my monster I had good luck taking the caliper off the rotor and raising it above the rotor in all sorts of directions while bleeding

TL's Monster796 04-25-2019 12:15 PM

I also had 0 rear brake. Bled front and rear with almost no air, went for a quick jaunt to warm up for an oil change; STILL no rear brake. :mad: Pulled off the caliper and positioned it on the swingarm with bleed valve straight up...... SO MUCH AIR!!!!! :o Had to cycle through 6-7 times to get it clean (and keep filling the thimble of a reservoir. LOL) Now I've got full-stop worthy rear brake again. Thanks to those that have reco'd this fix!

DenverKirk 04-25-2019 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TL's Monster796 (Post 3164026)
I also had 0 rear brake. Bled front and rear with almost no air, went for a quick jaunt to warm up for an oil change; STILL no rear brake. :mad: Pulled off the caliper and positioned it on the swingarm with bleed valve straight up...... SO MUCH AIR!!!!! :o Had to cycle through 6-7 times to get it clean (and keep filling the thimble of a reservoir. LOL) Now I've got full-stop worthy rear brake again. Thanks to those that have reco'd this fix!

Glad it helped!!