HELP NEEDED! Monster 696 rear gas tank bolt not coming loose - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

HELP NEEDED! Monster 696 rear gas tank bolt not coming loose

I'm at my wits end with this. I was removing the gas tank on my 2009 696 so I could access the battery and when it came time to remove the rear bolt, (the one located under the seat, between the exhausts, see photo) the bolt just spins repeatedly without coming free. I hit it with WD40 and tried wedging a screw driver between the head of the bolt and washer and push out while unscrewing and still nothing, just endless spinning. After about 3 hours of similar attempts it became clear that the other end of the bolt inside the tank has to be broken off. Does anyone know how I can get the tank free or remove the bolt?

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	1583
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	109049  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 07:26 PM

HELP NEEDED! Monster 696 rear gas tank bolt not coming loose

This happened to my tank and I had to have the tank replaced.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2012 Monster 796
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 09:45 PM

696 Gas Tank Bolt Not Coming Loose

Have you tried getting an open end hacksaw blade and sawing off the head of the bolt. You said that you tired placing a screwdriver head between the head and the washer, so maybe there is enough room to get the hacksaw blade between the two. I have a tool that I've had for years that holds a hacksaw blade at one end and in the middle, so there's about 1/3 of the blade that is free. I've used this tool to do similar things in the past.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 10:35 PM

If there is a threaded metal collar pressed into the plastic tank, and the bolt threads into this collar, then the collar is probably freely spinning (it shouldn't, it should firmly be held in place by the plastic), and this is likely the reason you can't unscrew the bolt. I don't know for sure if this is the case here, but I have seen problems with this type of design elsewhere.

If this is the case, then sawing off the head of the bold will allow you to remove the tank, but you will still need to get a new tank, as gasaholic had to do.

Bikes: Street Triple R | Monster 696 (Sold) | GSX-R600 | Ninja 250
Deals: detroit11, lauchforwards, simonlai795, obaa996

Last edited by 3th3r; 03-12-2013 at 02:18 AM.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-11-2013, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

Ok lets say I cut the screw head with a hacksaw and remove the bolt. Would I then be able to drill a hole completely through the plastic tank all the way to the other side and then run a low profile bolt similar to one that's currently on there, but slightly longer thread so i can fasten it with a nut on the bottom, to hold the tank down? Basically I need to know if the tank holds gas down on that lower part. I'm really trying to avoid paying full price for a new gas tank plus the install.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-12-2013, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrkHorse View Post
Ok lets say I cut the screw head with a hacksaw and remove the bolt. Would I then be able to drill a hole completely through the plastic tank all the way to the other side and then run a low profile bolt similar to one that's currently on there, but slightly longer thread so i can fasten it with a nut on the bottom, to hold the tank down? Basically I need to know if the tank holds gas down on that lower part. I'm really trying to avoid paying full price for a new gas tank plus the install.
This would be a good workaround indeed, assuming this part of the tank is just an extension for ease of attachment. Sorry, I don't know the answer; hopefully someone here does.

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 10:41 PM

DrkHorse Rear Gas Tank Bolt

Any luck with a work around on the rear bolt? I have just encountered the same problem. Very frustrating. What did you end up doing. Thanks for the help.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamontster View Post
Any luck with a work around on the rear bolt? I have just encountered the same problem. Very frustrating. What did you end up doing. Thanks for the help.

I took the bike to the dealership and it was completely cover under warranty. The removed the old tank and installed a brand new "euro style tank" with a visible head to the screw on the on the top side of the tank. And it was a zero cost to me. I say take it up to the dealer now before Ducati decides to stop covering this tank issue.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 01:45 AM

DrkHorse rear tank bolt

Thank you for your posting. I will follow up with the dealer.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 11-21-2013, 08:06 PM

Well, I just encountered the same problem.

I got a free K&N air filter and was planning on installing it, which requires lifting the fuel tank, but the rear tank screw is freely spinning.

I have an appointment for the 12K Km service in a couple of weeks, and I will ask then to have the dealer correct the issue under the 24-month warranty.

Last edited by 3th3r; 11-21-2013 at 08:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode