Ohio earplug law. - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 09:46 AM Thread Starter

Ohio earplug law.

This post is for all us Ohio Ducati Riders.

This is a post from the Ohio Riders Motorcycle Web Site. I sent an email to my State Rep and State Senator. I feel all of us should consider doing the same.
Thank you for your support.
Go here: https://www.legislature.ohio.gov/legisl ... egislators and find your Rep and Senator. Copy and past the below in. Yea, I know I caved on the earphone issue. But if we go for that at the same time we will lose on both. One thing at a time.
Sample letter.
Hello,
I would like to discuss with you a needed change to Ohio law, specifically ORC 4511.84
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.84
This law prohibits the use of earphones and earplugs while riding a motorcycle. While prohibiting earphones may make sense, the prohibition on earplugs does not. This law is antiquated and does not account for the medical community’s better understanding of hearing loss and it’s causes.
In fact the Ohio BMV handbook for new motorcycle riders says:
“Long-term exposure to engine and wind noise can cause permanent hearing damage, even if you have a quiet motorcycle and wear a full-face helmet. Whether you choose disposable foam plugs or reusable custom-molded devices, properly worn hearing protection reduces noise, while allowing you to hear important sounds like car horns and sirens.”
I have a quiet motorcycle, and I wear a full face helmet. When I don’t wear ear plugs I can clearly tell my hearing has been impacted after a day of riding. They ring and buzz, just like being at a loud concert. Yes, I ignore the law and wear ear plugs as do a great many other riders I know. One of whom just got a $95 dollar ticket for doing so.
I can assure you I can hear sirens and horns. Ear plugs are selective in what noise they block.
Simply put the State has a law forcing a motorcycle rider to suffer permanent hearing loss. It has no moral right to do so. 4511.84 needs to be amended with an exception for hearing protection for motorcycle riders as many other states have already done.
Please let me know what I can do to help make this happen and thank you in advance for your help in this matter. 
March 2, 2017 by Tonik

Ride as often as you can.
Bud
Main bike 2013 20th Anniversary EVO (192). Other bike 2001 Triumph Bonnie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-24-2019, 10:53 PM

Good luck. I rode a lot of years without earplugs, just did not know better.
Now I am paying for it. Tinnitus sucks. Protect your ears. I do now, but hearing damage is permanent.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Appears that it became effective in 1989. Has it been enforced regularly? Or even at all?

'04 Monster 1000S - Sold
'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track Bike
'14 MV Agusta Rivale 800 EAS ABS
'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS
'16 Norton Commando 961 SF
'19 SWM SM 500 R Supermoto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOther996s View Post
Appears that it became effective in 1989. Has it been enforced regularly? Or even at all?

I haven't been stopped often here in Ohio. When I have been stopped my earplugs were in and I was not cited. Other riders I know have been cited. I have not heard from my State Senator or State Rep. I was on The Ohio Riders Web Site this morning and it looks like a bill was passed in the State Senate. We will see what happens next. Until this issue is resolved, I'm keeping my full face helmet on if I'm stopped on either of my motorbikes.

Bud
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 01:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Really stupid law

'04 Monster 1000S - Sold
'05 Ducati 749S/924S - Track Bike
'14 MV Agusta Rivale 800 EAS ABS
'16 Aprilia Tuono V4 1100 Factory ABS
'16 Norton Commando 961 SF
'19 SWM SM 500 R Supermoto
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 10:07 AM Thread Starter

FYI for all of us who reside here in Ohio. Yes it is a stupid law that we are trying to get repealed.

A question about this issue.
So using your link, I looked up my district senator. But before I call I have some questions. You said " Let them know we made passed the House last year with 100 percent yes votes." Who is the "we" you are referring to? Do we use a senate bill number as a reference? Or do I just call the senator and say that I'm a rider trying to get earplugs legalized? I don't think they'll have any clue of what I'm referring to.
Thanks for the help, I'd like to give my senator a call today.
"we" refers to all of the people that got this process started, but it is not a real organization. A group of riders here including me, some help from ABATE and AMA after we got it started.
You want to refer to the current 'Transportation Budget' that is before the Senate and House. It's bill number is 62, but Transportation Budget will be plenty. If you want more talking points on why legalizing them is a good idea read the first post in this thread.
Really appreciate the help Leon, very cool you.

People, you need to move on this. The Transportation Budget must be passed by March 31....that is this week. Call right

Bud
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 09:36 AM Thread Starter

FYI for us Ohio riders on the use of earplugs in Ohio.

This is the current status using earplugs in Ohio. Post from Jim Kennedy on Ohio Riders 4/9/19.

1st post. Since I pick up my new bike in the morning I will suspend my non-posting cuz I don't have a bike for this one post because you guys are killing me with the misinformation.
There is no new law, there have been no changes and wearing hearing protection on a motorcycle while in Ohio is still illegal. OSHA regulations do not apply unless you are riding your motorcycle for work and I do not know how that would go in court.
Anyone that told Andy otherwise is mistaken. They must have saw our effort and thought we made it through, we did not. And we were left out of the transportation bill that was just passed.
We now have HB 129 that is in the House Transportation Committee, it has had it's first hearing. I am sure it will sail through since our Rep that has been helping us is the Vice Chairman on that committee. Once that is done I will have all of you contact the hell out of our House Reps to get yes votes on the floor. House won't be a problem we passed last time with 100 percent yes votes in the House.
We will need to work VERY hard on the Senate when we get there, there is a reason they dropped us from the Transportation bill. Someone with power in the Senate must be against us. It wasn't listing riders under OSHA, it just gives types of operators that require hearing protection an exemption from the law - at least that's how it was explained to me. This came from an organization that 'should' know what is going on. I wish I had gotten the exact bill they cited that got through as they were 100% certain it had been made law. I explained this attempt to legalize it and they said it was different from what was passed.

2nd post. It wasn't listing riders under OSHA, it just gives types of operators that require hearing protection an exemption from the law - at least that's how it was explained to me. This came from an organization that 'should' know what is going on. I wish I had gotten the exact bill they cited that got through as they were 100% certain it had been made law. I explained this attempt to legalize it and they said it was different from what was passed.
You talked to the AMA guy didn't you. He told me that too when I first contacted them to help us. If that is who you chatted with, they should know as you said, but they are mistaken.
The current law has the exceptions you mention, it does not include us.
Here it is, and you can search away for any mention of ear plugs or hearing or motorcycle you want to.
http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/4511.84

Bud
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2019, 07:34 PM

You said I'm breaking the what?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode