Any former Harley riders ? - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 05:20 PM
jwh402

Any former Harley riders ?

I am new to the Board, first post. Picked up M800 dark 2 months ago after years of riding Harleys. Always loved the look of the Monster, and had become bored with the whole scene ( everyone was sooo original in exactly the same way on their Harley. ) After two months of riding the Monster, I cannot believe the fun I am having on a street bike ! I had originally toyed with the idea of keeping both bikes, but the Wide Glide is now eye candy in someone else's garage. I now find every possible excuse to ride instead of reasons not to. Have learned a great deal already thanks to all you guys. Anyone else have the same experience ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 06:10 PM
BostonStrangler

Re: Any former Harley riders ?

I had a Vstar custom and toyed with the idea of getting a Harley, just for the extra power. But I couldn't justify paying that much for a stock bike. So I opted for the 800 Dark like you. It is just a baddass looking ride.

It's funny, but the girl in the parts shop commented that a lot of cruiser riders picked the Dark Monster if they decided to change. You just helped support her statement.

I will TOTALLY agree, I have ridden a Deuce and a Fat Boy, and my Monster is so much more fun to ride! I'm torn right now, because I'm trying to convince my buddy who has a FLH that I am not full of sh#t. So I want him to get first hand experience, but I can't see letting him ride my baby yet.

But he did let me try his FLH, so I guess I might have to let him try mine.It would have been an easier choice if he just asked to try out my girlfriend instead. LOL.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 01:23 AM

I was(am) a Harley fan, but I must admit, when I go out to the garage, I'd rather ride the Monster. I never thought that I would ever NOT want to ride the Harley, cause the HD was the only bike I had and we rode alot.
Now it seems I only ride the HD cause I feel bad I haven't ridden it in a while, I won't ever sell it, but the Monster sure is a fun bike!
My husband just got a Triumph Speed Four and his Harley is sitting in the garage more often too!!
But we have Harley buddies, and Harley events, that we still enjoy to go to, and now we can enjoy the ride on our " other " bikes as well!!

1960 Female-&quoteb&quot;-- Pennsylvania<br />2007 Triumph Daytona 675--RED<br />2002 620ie Dark--Sil hi pipes, PCIII, FBF airbox kit <br />1996 HD Badboy(FXSTSB)--Stage I Kit, Andrews Cam, Hi-Performance valve kit, S&amp;S Carb~ 86 lb torque,78 HP<br />1999 Dodge truck-- Gibson super truck exhaust<br />1993 Pitbull-&quotuke&quot;....<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; R.I.P.&nbsp; 10/3/1993 -&nbsp; 7/31/2005<br />2003 Pitbull- &quot;Azul&quot;<br />&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; R.I.P.&nbsp; 2003-----11/5/2005<br />2002 AmStaff- &quot;Buster&quot;<br />2003 Pitbull--&nbsp; &quot;Betsy&quot;
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 01:37 AM

My Harley has saddle bags (Heritage) and it gets used primarily as the errand bike when I have moderate stuff to carry. They Triumph and sidecar when I have a lot of stuff to carry, and the Monster when I don't have anything to carry.

06 Triumph Scrambler, 06 HD Sporster 1200C, 01 Ducati 900 Cromo, 01 Honda XR650L Dual Sport, 94 HD Heritage, 89 Honda Hawk GT, 84 Yamaha XV1000, 81 Honda Passport 70, 80 Yamaha XT250, 78 Honda CB750K with sidecar, 77 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans, 77 BMW R75/7, 76 Honda CB750K, 75 Honda CB550K, 73 Norton 850 Commando, 73 Honda Z50, 71 Triumph Trophy 650, 71 Yamaha RT1 360 Enduro, 70 Triumph Tiger 650, 70 Suzuki T250 II, 70 Honda Trail 90, 70 Honda CT70, 65 Honda 305 Dream, 65 Honda CT200 Trail 90
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 01:40 AM

I have a 02 Sportster 1200, and have had Sportsters as well as Jap cruisers in the past. I was kind of getting bored of the whole cruiser thing, and have had my eye on the Monster since 1999.

Monster handles alot better and is overall more fun to ride. It does everything better, but the real thing I like about the Monster is it has alot of magic in it unlike the Jap bikes. The Harleys have magic in them as well, but it is a different type. Hard to describe.

I like them both, but the Ducati is something very different for me, and something I have wanted a long time.

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 02:19 AM

1 hd for 4 years, sold.
2 hds for 14 years, still have em, total miles 180000.
1 duc, 1 year , 24000kms. Still have it

Skier
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 02:45 AM
monster_mash

not here,bur i was thinking getting a cruiser in the next year or so,and by reading your posts it don't look good.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 03:07 AM

i rented a fat boy while i was with the woman in L.A. it was a cool bike, but it PISSSED me off on the ortega hwy! every turn it was floor board to floor board. i wouldn't mind having one here in chi-town though. it'd be nice to ride to mt. rushmore and back without having the fiancee complain about her butt cheeks!
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 03:25 AM

I had a Road King for four years and I did a lot of touring on it. It was fun at the time.

I moved to Minneapolis and found that the HD was sitting in the garage collecting dust so I traded it in on an S4 and some change. I have never regretted getting rid of the Road King. The S4 is now an addiction as many here can attest to.

I really got sick and tired of all of the posers w/ the HD crowd. (not meant to be pointed at anyone that actually rides thier bikes ) When you do something just to be cool, you might be doing it for the wrong reasons.

Another thing that started bothering me was the low tech level of the bikes. I was riding a bike that weighed 800lbs and had 2/3 the power and 1/2 the braking ability of my S4. That wasn't something I wanted to deal with anymore.

If I ever want to get another touring bike it will probably be Interceptor or something else bullet proof.

One last thing. Wen I can own a Monster and a 749R for less than a modified Road King, I think you could guess which direction I would go. Two bikes for the price of one!
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 06-09-2004, 07:53 AM

[quote]I really got sick and tired of all of the posers w/ the HD crowd. (not meant to be pointed at anyone that actually rides thier bikes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode