Rear sprocket - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 04:27 AM Thread Starter

New Monster owner here and after week's riding mostly around town I am contemplating a gearing change.

So if I were to go up +2 teeth on the rear sprocket, do you guys know if I have to get a new longer chain? How many extra links the new chain should be in order to have room for adjustment without cutting it?

I am asking because I would like to place an online order for chain and sprocket without down time - the good weather days are limited here in Sweden...

Also do you know how this Rizoma cone shaped thing (see pic) can be removed? Is it the cotter pin that holds it in place? Does it have a function or is it there just for looks?

/Dimi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190905_192911.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	220516   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190905_192850.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	220518  

Last edited by Dimitris76; 09-06-2019 at 07:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 12:38 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris76 View Post
New Monster owner here and after week's riding mostly around town I am contemplating a gearing change.

So if I were to go up +2 teeth on the rear sprocket, do you guys know if I have to get a new longer chain? How many extra links the new chain should be in order to have room for adjustment without cutting it?

I am asking because I would like to place an online order for chain and sprocket without down time - the good weather days are limited here in Sweden...

Also do you know how this Rizoma cone shaped thing (see pic) can be removed? Is it the cotter pin that holds it in place? Does it have a function or is it there just for looks?

/Dimi
If the front is stock change it to a 14T instead of rear. Easier to do and you can keep same chain lenght.. or cut 2 links if the chain is old and stretched.

Ducati designs their bikes to run a 14T front, they don't put it because it's easier to pass environmental requirements with the 15T.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

----------------

Eastcoast Ducati Hoodlum.
Ride: 2014 M1200S
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-06-2019, 01:24 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the answer!

I don't mind the increased chain wear that comes with the smaller front sprocket, but I read somewhere in these forums that it also puts more load on the output shaft bearings and splitting the engine case is something I definitely want to avoid at any cost...

Last edited by Dimitris76; 09-06-2019 at 03:33 PM.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:23 PM

Go for a 14 tooth front sprocket for now. When the time comes to replace the whole set, take a serious look at sprocket center.com and check out the quickchange srocket kits. Go back to a 15 tooth front sprocket and whatever rear sprocket suits how you like to ride. Also check out gearingcommander.com for a wealth of info regarding gearing.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 08:31 PM

Also try for a gearing combo that gets you to the rev limiter as you are approaching your terminal aerodynamic limit.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_Racer View Post
Go for a 14 tooth front sprocket for now. When the time comes to replace the whole set, take a serious look at sprocket center.com and check out the quickchange srocket kits. Go back to a 15 tooth front sprocket and whatever rear sprocket suits how you like to ride. Also check out gearingcommander.com for a wealth of info regarding gearing.
Great advice!

I think I will start with this 14T sprocket.
https://www.xlmoto.se/framdrev-snell...onster-2011#?p

It's only $15 after all...

/Dimi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_463661.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	220566  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_Racer View Post
Also try for a gearing combo that gets you to the rev limiter as you are approaching your terminal aerodynamic limit.
According to gearingcommander.com a 14T front will still propel me more than 100mph and I definitely don't need to go faster than that.

/Dimi
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 08:38 PM

Garage
I went the other way after buying a 900 ie years ago, second hand. The bike came with 15T front and 41T rear.
Most riding in the country, Australian outback, long haul rides. Bike was very jumpy for me, wheelies in first if launching from lights etc.

Went back to standard, 15T front and 39T rear. In answer to your question, I had to remove one link from same size chain to adjust to fit.

If still considering new chain and rear, just order a couple of extra links, easy to remove with either proper tool, or a small grinder to take off the rivet heads and then punch out the pin.(s)

I did try once a 14T front, but found chain rubbing hard on swing arm slipper, (too close) but mine is older double sided arm, yours may be different.
The Rizoma thing is for using a paddock stand to lift rear of bike, not sure how that one is attached.

Just some ideas,

Ron.

Last edited by ronski; 09-12-2019 at 07:04 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimitris76 View Post
Great advice!

I think I will start with this 14T sprocket.
https://www.xlmoto.se/framdrev-snell...onster-2011#?p

It's only $15 after all...

/Dimi
For $15 it's worth trying. My bike came with a 14T front and I find the gearing to be too low for commuting as I'm having to shift a lot in stop and go traffic. I'm putting a 15T back on and just going up a couple teeth in the rear to hopefully find a happy medium.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 01:33 PM

I have a 2009 monster 110 that came with 15/39 gearing. I went to a 43 on the rear. Which is still good for 138 miles an hour at 8500 rpm rev limiter.
The AFAM quick change conversion for the rear sprocket will make for much less expensive replacement in the future.
D ID makes an excellent chain breaking and riveting tool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode