Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum banner

Brake bleed costed 270$ [emoji2962]

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  mahtin 
#1 ·
I took my Monster 821 for 9000 mile service today and the guy at the dealership asked if I wanted brake bleeding, given that 500ml DOT 4 fluid costs 20$ and being a 30 min job for an experienced technician, I said to do it.

After couple hours I got the call from the dealership saying the bike is ready to go and they said the service totaled to 860$, I was expecting to be some where between 500 to 550 (9000mile service + inspection), when I asked for the breakdown this is what I got.

9000 mile service = 530
Inspection = 33
Brake bleed = 270.

Never did brake bleed in the shop. Does it seriously cost 270$ or the dealership is trying to scam?

#2 ·
Sounds like a scam to me. If it takes them 30 min and they charged $270, are they implying that they charge $540 per hour for brake service? Sounds ridiculous to me.

I’m not the most technical person but it takes me 10 minutes, a $20 nifty brake bleed tool from MotionPro and some new fluid ($20 max for multiple brakes/clutch bleeds).

I’d go back and ask them to justify the price.

#8 ·
First thought:

A "2" was mistakenly added in the front "70". This makes sense considering:

$20 for fluid.

$50 for about an hour labor.

Total = $70. That makes sense.

Accidentally add the digit "2" in the front and now we have "$270". This accident seems likely to occur.

Before you go in there guns drawn because of what you have read here, please have them verify the dollar amount by breaking down the the cost of fluid and labor.

If they stand by their price, pay for the service if you like, and once you see your bike roll out of the shop explain that you will file a report with the Bureau of Automotive Repair. I was refunded half of what I paid for a carb tuning job gone south due to the help from BAR.

The investigators/case managers that work with you are often former professional mechanics. That dealership can never convince them that a simple brake bleed without complications on a Ducati Monster should cost $270. The investigators are not stupid.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.