Brake bleed costed 270$ [emoji2962] - Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum

post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-03-2019, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Brake bleed costed 270$

I took my Monster 821 for 9000 mile service today and the guy at the dealership asked if I wanted brake bleeding, given that 500ml DOT 4 fluid costs 20$ and being a 30 min job for an experienced technician, I said to do it.

After couple hours I got the call from the dealership saying the bike is ready to go and they said the service totaled to 860$, I was expecting to be some where between 500 to 550 (9000mile service + inspection), when I asked for the breakdown this is what I got.

9000 mile service = 530
Inspection = 33
Brake bleed = 270.

Never did brake bleed in the shop. Does it seriously cost 270$ or the dealership is trying to scam?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 08:56 AM

Sounds like a scam to me. If it takes them 30 min and they charged $270, are they implying that they charge $540 per hour for brake service? Sounds ridiculous to me.

Im not the most technical person but it takes me 10 minutes, a $20 nifty brake bleed tool from MotionPro and some new fluid ($20 max for multiple brakes/clutch bleeds).

Id go back and ask them to justify the price.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-04-2019, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amcjen View Post
Sounds like a scam to me. If it takes them 30 min and they charged $270, are they implying that they charge $540 per hour for brake service? Sounds ridiculous to me.

Im not the most technical person but it takes me 10 minutes, a $20 nifty brake bleed tool from MotionPro and some new fluid ($20 max for multiple brakes/clutch bleeds).

Id go back and ask them to justify the price.
Thanks, I haven't picked up the bike yet, I'll will do it today and ask for the reason why it costed that much.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 09:05 PM

At a labor rate of $135/hr, that is two hours to bleed just the rear brake.
Sounds obscene to me.

PS:
"Costed"? Huh?
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 09:41 PM

What’s up guys!!!
Anyone out there has a good hook up for disk breaks and new belts
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 09:43 PM

Doing a complete service on the S2R1000. So doing belts, breaks, front forks, rear breaks, bleed job and new break fluid. Any websites or reference will be a huge help!!!!

Thanks.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-05-2019, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Akilov View Post
Doing a complete service on the S2R1000. So doing belts, breaks, front forks, rear breaks, bleed job and new break fluid. Any websites or reference will be a huge help!!!!

Thanks.

Desmotimes.com
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:10 PM

First thought:

A "2" was mistakenly added in the front "70". This makes sense considering:

$20 for fluid.

$50 for about an hour labor.

Total = $70. That makes sense.

Accidentally add the digit "2" in the front and now we have "$270". This accident seems likely to occur.

Before you go in there guns drawn because of what you have read here, please have them verify the dollar amount by breaking down the the cost of fluid and labor.

If they stand by their price, pay for the service if you like, and once you see your bike roll out of the shop explain that you will file a report with the Bureau of Automotive Repair. I was refunded half of what I paid for a carb tuning job gone south due to the help from BAR.

The investigators/case managers that work with you are often former professional mechanics. That dealership can never convince them that a simple brake bleed without complications on a Ducati Monster should cost $270. The investigators are not stupid.

M944 Dark - FCR 41/Pistal 11.5/IE cams/race heads
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 09-10-2019, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Akilov View Post

Thanks.
Everyone I know purchases their belts from Chris be it in Europe or the US - https://ca-cycleworks.com/

If you're a backyard mechanic like me and want to know everything from valve adjustment to rebuilding a motor (current blueprinting one for fun) then I promise you will do yourself a favor by purchasing Choclan's book -

Full color, full explanations, everything from valve adjustments to black magic (otherwise known as cam timing) and all kinds of neat tips and tricks like how to DIY specific tools. This manual blows every other Ducati manual out of the water, including DesmoTime's manual. I cannot recommend this enough.

M944 Dark - FCR 41/Pistal 11.5/IE cams/race heads
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Today, 10:27 AM

Hey Manoj, @manoj517,
What was the end result here? Was the cost a typo?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ducati Monster Forums: Ducati Monster Motorcycle Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in